The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '41 Shock Links (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228747)

drolston 09-09-2017 03:38 PM

'41 Shock Links

Pulled the rear end on the '41 coupe (early model year version) to swap out 3.78 gears for 3.25. Love it on the Interstate; final verdict depends on whether or not 284" flathead can get over Afton Mountain at 50 mph in high gear.

Also put Bendix brakes on the front. Took the opportunity to replace all four shock links (dog bones), as several were loose. I put 4" all around. Mac's show 4" for the front, and I subsequently discovered that Mac's lists 4.75" for front and rear on a '41. The car had 4" on front and 4 3/4" on rear, but I am not sure they were original. Am I risking damage to the Houdaile shocks if I go over something that causes the rear axel to go full extended? That is, is it possible that using a dog bone 3/4" shorter than stock would allow the rotor on the shaft to hit the reacting block inside the top of the housing?

corvette8n 09-09-2017 06:06 PM

Re: '41 Shock Links

All the dog bones measure 4-3/4 on my '41 coupe, hope that helps.

Kube 09-09-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1525067)
Pulled the rear end on the '41 coupe (early model year version) to swap out 3.78 gears for 3.25. Love it on the Interstate; final verdict depends on whether or not 284" flathead can get over Afton Mountain at 50 mph in high gear.

Also put Bendix brakes on the front. Took the opportunity to replace all four shock links (dog bones), as several were loose. I put 4" all around. Mac's show 4" for the front, and I subsequently discovered that Mac's lists 4.75" for front and rear on a '41. The car had 4" on front and 4 3/4" on rear, but I am not sure they were original. Am I risking damage to the Houdaile shocks if I go over something that causes the rear axel to go full extended? That is, is it possible that using a dog bone 3/4" shorter than stock would allow the rotor on the shaft to hit the reacting block inside the top of the housing?

If you want to make it as Henry built it then 4 3/4" on the front and 4" on the back.
One must always remember that the repop suppliers don't do a lot of research... they are in the market to sell parts. It is up to each of us to do the proper research.

drolston 09-09-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1525127)
If you want to make it as Henry built it then 4 3/4" on the front and 4" on the back.
One must always remember that the repop suppliers don't do a lot of research... they are in the market to sell parts. It is up to each of us to do the proper research.

Time for me to get the parts bible!

Kube 09-10-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1525130)
Time for me to get the parts bible!

Just be aware that the so called "Green Bible" offers listings of REPLACEMENT parts. In other words: parts that will fit and function. Are the 'correct"? Well, in so far as they will fit and function. Not necessarily will they be concourse correct.
Lots of guys have yet to learn that parts books are NOT necessarily a good resource for a proper restoration.