The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Directionals switch (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337681)

dbdevkc 04-13-2024 01:01 PM

Directionals switch

1950 Ford Custom - We are having an issue with the directional signals or switch.

At one point they were working, but are not working now. So, assume the switch is wired correctly. All the other lights function correctly - parking lights (front and rear), and brake lights. Just using the direectionals with all other lights off seems to do nothing, but what is happening, when we depress the brakes and activate the switch to turn on a directional, the brake light on that side that was activated shuts off. I think that is correct as I thought the brake light would cut off and the regular tail light would then flash. I have checked and we are getting voltage to the flasher unit (it is a two prong flasher unit). We replaced the flasher unit with the same part, and still nothing.

My guess would be it is the switch unit itself. Does that make sense? And if so how difficult is it to get into the back of the turn signal switch to check the wiring and mechanicals of it? Switch model number: KD-728 - not sure if that was issued by Ford or if it is aftermarket, but it's pretty old.

Thanks.

TJ 04-13-2024 03:35 PM

Re: Directionals switch

Actually it's the brake light element that needs to flash. I believe you need to recheck your wiring as it is wrong. The KD-728 is an aftermarket switch and you can probably find a wire diagram on-line for that switch.

dbdevkc 04-13-2024 05:50 PM

If the wiring is wrong, how is it that it worked last year. Nothing has changed. So, if the brake light is supposed to flash - it currently is just turning off, and never comes back on. The front parking lights used to flash before, and now ... no.

Alaska Jim 04-13-2024 06:41 PM

I suspect you have a bad ground somewhere, or a bad fuse.

oldbugger 04-13-2024 07:39 PM

2X bad ground

dbdevkc 04-13-2024 07:49 PM

Would that make sense even though all the lights function otherwise if the directional switch is not activated? Could it be that something in the switch itself is shorting to ground when activated?

JayChicago 04-13-2024 11:35 PM

The advice about bad grounds is wrong. You are suddenly having signal problems front and rear….. did all the grounds go bad at the same time? And those bad grounds work ok when you apply the brake lights?

I think you are correct to assume the problem is in the switch. The brake wiring is routed thru the signal switch. When turn signal is activated, the brake light is interrupted. That much is working. But the signal circuit is not coming on. I don’t know why. You could try to dissect the switch if possible.

51woodie 04-14-2024 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a wiring diagram that may help. Note that the switch body needs to be grounded to the steering column. One of the fellows in our car club thought it would be a good idea to put a wrap of electrical tape on the column before he installed the switch, to prevent scratching the paint, then wondered why the signals didn't work.

TJ 04-14-2024 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbdevkc (Post 2304441)
If the wiring is wrong, how is it that it worked last year. Nothing has changed. So, if the brake light is supposed to flash - it currently is just turning off, and never comes back on. The front parking lights used to flash before, and now ... no.

O.K. it would have helped if you had let us know in the beginning of your post that the unit was working a year ago. So how old is this unit? how old is the flasher? Have you used a test light to see what wires have power or don't have power when using the switch? Have you checked all the grounds to see if they are clean? So it sounds like the car has not been driven for some time, due to the fact the last time the signals worked was a year ago. I think we need more information.

dbdevkc 04-14-2024 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 2304562)
O.K. it would have helped if you had let us know in the beginning of your post that the unit was working a year ago.

I guess this wasn't clear enough: "At one point they were working, but are not working now. So, assume the switch is wired correctly. All the other lights function correctly - parking lights (front and rear), and brake lights."

I'll try to be more specific in the future.

Sal 04-14-2024 01:00 PM

It could possibly be the flasher.

dbdevkc 04-14-2024 01:21 PM

probably not the flasher unit at this point ... "We replaced the flasher unit with the same part, and still nothing." We are heading out to check the switch body to ground, and then the switch connections themselves when the lever is activated. I am unconvinced that the wiring is wrong, and think there is something going on with the switch itself. Either way will be pleased to find the answer. Thanks all, will let you know what we determine.

TJ 04-14-2024 02:50 PM

In your first post you indicated that the unit was hooked up to the tail light circuit for the signals. To begin with it is supposed to be hooked up to the stop light wires on each side of the car. Your brake switch wire is routed through the signal switch. The tail lamp circuit is not part of the signal switch. They are part of the headlamp circuit and controlled by the headlamp switch. Follow the diagram posted by 51woody to double check your wiring.

petehoovie 04-14-2024 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51woodie (Post 2304521)
Here is a wiring diagram that may help. Note that the switch body needs to be grounded to the steering column. One of the fellows in our car club thought it would be a good idea to put a wrap of electrical tape on the column before he installed the switch, to prevent scratching the paint, then wondered why the signals didn't work.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1713092377

slowforty 04-14-2024 03:57 PM

Some times the bulbs do not have enough resistance in them to operate the flasher.
I had this issue with my turn signals, The filament on American made bulbs was twice the size of the foreign made bulbs.

PeteVS 04-14-2024 04:35 PM

It's a bad ground! One of the lights is grounding through the light on the other side. When that light is energized, that ground path for the other light is lost and that light goes out. Learned that ages ago!

dbdevkc 04-14-2024 04:57 PM

Well Son of a B...! It turns out the fuse block has two spots for a flasher unit. Moved the flasher unit to the other spot and it all works.

We blame an ex-boyfriend. Apparently he had been working on the car trying to get the spotlights to work and was blowing fuses - and had taken out the flasher unit and put it back in - in the wrong place.

Freaking guy.

Now we need to trace out the wire from the other flasher spot - not sure what that might be for.

JayChicago 04-14-2024 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbdevkc (Post 2304632)
Well Son of a B...! It turns out the fuse block has two spots for a flasher unit. Moved the flasher unit to the other spot and it all works. Now we need to trace out the wire from the other flasher spot - not sure what that might be for.

I did that same dumb thing one time on a '58 Chev with an aftermarket fuse block. Can't blame anyone else, I did it. I had plugged the turn signal flasher into the flasher cavity for the four-way emergency flashers, which didn't exist on this car.

rich b 04-14-2024 09:51 PM

From what you described; the power from the flasher isn't getting to the switch or there is a problem inside the switch.

I would remove it from the column, take it apart, and check the wire as close to the switch as you can get.

I've found internally broken wires, loose solder joints at the switch, internal corrosion, and broken internal parts.

I don't know this actual switch or it's age; but on many older ones the switches can be opened by unbending the tabs and being careful of springs, balls, and contact plates be cleaned up and rejuvenated.

petehoovie 04-14-2024 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbdevkc (Post 2304632)
Well Son of a B...! It turns out the fuse block has two spots for a flasher unit. Moved the flasher unit to the other spot and it all works.

We blame an ex-boyfriend. Apparently he had been working on the car trying to get the spotlights to work and was blowing fuses - and had taken out the flasher unit and put it back in - in the wrong place.

Freaking guy.

Now we need to trace out the wire from the other flasher spot - not sure what that might be for.

Thanks for letting us know the cause of the problem and the fix...