The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whitewalls (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316040)

Franchise_24 07-22-2022 09:47 PM

Whitewalls

So I have new whitewalls from Snyders and I unwrapped them today and put the first tire on and the whitewalls have like a blue film all over them. All 4 tires have that. Any special way to clean that? Brush and soap and water or do I need bleach white or anything like that? I want to get them cleaned before I put them back on the car.

Thanks!

McMimmcs 07-22-2022 10:22 PM

Re: Whitewalls

Soap and water is ideal! No bleach needed. Wayne

Synchro909 07-22-2022 10:43 PM

Ditto Wayne. Fit them to the rim, inflate, then scrub with soapy water

nkaminar 07-23-2022 05:33 AM

Or run them as bluewalls.

Big hammer 07-23-2022 09:35 AM

Make sure you put them ww inside and paint them black, sorry I said that I just couldn’t resist. In the 70’s you couldn’t find black wall tires for modern’s and that was done if a customer only wanted black walls

shew01 07-23-2022 10:45 AM

Whitewalls

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 2150595)
Make sure you put them ww inside and paint them black, sorry I said that I just couldn’t resist. In the 70’s you couldn’t find black wall tires for modern’s and that was done if a customer only wanted black walls

Yup. I’ve turned the whitewalls inside before. Lol

But I like whitewalls on a Model A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franchise_24 07-23-2022 03:54 PM

Thanks guys :-)

Colonial coupe 07-24-2022 04:45 AM

I use simple green on whitewalls never use bleachwhite Coker used to recommend against it.

ronn 07-24-2022 05:28 AM

yes, I run my whitewalls on the "inside"

it is an inside joke!

Jeff/Illinois 07-24-2022 05:26 PM

Franchise what brand tire did you get?

Just curious Kelsey's have been out of Goodyear Diamond treads.

Jeff/Illinois 07-24-2022 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonial coupe (Post 2150840)
I use simple green on whitewalls never use bleachwhite Coker used to recommend against it.

Yes, and never ever use Armorall unless you want to destroy your tires.

Bleachwhite is nasty stuff has acid in it. Will also mess up wheels.

arnhemmer 07-25-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonial coupe (Post 2150840)

Firestone recommended the same thing. Use Simple Green, no products containing any bleach. Bleach will yellow the white walls.

shew01 07-25-2022 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnhemmer (Post 2151321)
Firestone recommended the same thing. Use Simple Green, no products containing any bleach. Bleach will yellow the white walls.

Whitewalls will yellow on their own. I recently installed a brand new set of whitewalls, and they yellowed on their own in about a month without any bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotorwrench 07-25-2022 07:02 PM

The rubber used for white walls is generally processed natural gum rubber. It's non-structural to the carcass so it isn't as strong as the synthetic rubber with all the carbon added to make it black and more resilient. Ozone and sunlight are rubbers worst downfall. The natural rubber will just deteriorate faster than the synthetic but there is not much can be done about that. Aero Cosmetics has a tire dressing that looks interesting but I've never used it. It's not made to make them look shiny. KIWI makes a white shoe polish but I don't know how well a wax would work on natural rubber. Kiwi wax is made for leather.

Jeff/Illinois 07-26-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 2151378)
....... KIWI makes a white shoe polish but I don't know how well a wax would work on natural rubber. Kiwi wax is made for leather.

I haven't thought about Kiwi in years.

Sgt. Broadhead always yelled 'Get some Kiwi on that Gator Bait':)

Franchise_24 07-26-2022 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 2151028)
Franchise what brand tire did you get?

Just curious Kelsey's have been out of Goodyear Diamond treads.

I did get the Goodyear tires, but I bought them about 2 years ago and sadly am just now getting around to putting them on.

Oldgearz 07-28-2022 05:28 PM

That stuff Goodyear puts on can be a pain to get off. I found that pot cleaning pads work good. Won't harm the whitewall. Use Dawn dish soap to lube the pad with generous amount of water.

gary678* 07-29-2022 08:40 AM

My late father was a tool and die maker who was a perfectionist and fanatic about car cleanliness. He always had Buicks with whitewalls from the late 1930's until his passing in 1982. His secret to spotless and brilliantly "white" whitewalls was to use Brillo pads: I did them many times on his cars while growing up and use them now on my Model "A" Cabriolet. I have never seen any deterioration of fabric and was always impressed with the results. Try it once and see what you think.