The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Got an old brain? I need to pick it!!!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172512)

31 Model A 07-02-2015 10:56 AM

Got an old brain? I need to pick it!!!!

Need to remember back, as far back as the 30s, whether you lived it, like I did ;), or from stories from your dad, granddad, etc. What was on the counter at the filling stations? I remember a cash register, a telephone, mini-tire ashtray, some candy maybe, logo matches...........do you remember anything that has stuck in your memory? Remember, before there was also a credit card slider sitting there too!!!!!

Cheers..........

Jim Brierley 07-02-2015 11:21 AM

Re: Got an old brain? I need to pick it!!!!

A rack with 1 quart oil bottles was there or more likely out on the island. I worked for a Chevron station, we pushed Chevron or Standard oils but kept others under the counter. We also offered credit to some regular customers they would settle with us around the first of the month when they would stop by, I don't think any statements were mailed?

gridleak 07-02-2015 11:22 AM

a big tapered bearing and race that everybody spun while waiting

Bruce Lancaster 07-02-2015 11:26 AM

A big jar of Tom's Peanutbutter logs. They were only a penny, when a full-sized candy bar was 5 or even 10 cents.
If we were far enough south and out in the boondocks, it might be joined by a big jar of pickled pig's feet or pickled hardboiled eggs in beet juice...
Outside, a drink machine with a vertical row of bottles that you pulled straight out after dropping the nickel, OR a horizontal cabinet one with the drinks arranged in a maze of slots. If you wanted the Nehi grape in the far corner, you had to slide every blasted bottle in the machine around until you solved the puzzle ("Hurry up! We still need to go another 200 miles!!") and got your drink over to the coin-op release in the near corner.

Bruce Lancaster 07-02-2015 11:27 AM

Also, an old distributor cap with terminals drilled down so it could hold the pencils and pens needed.

cp5491r 07-02-2015 11:32 AM

Lots of pics on internet if you look at 1930's parts stores. That might give some ideas. I wasn't around then but I bet you'd find tobacco tins and rolling papers, a hand-cranked pencil sharpener, and tire gauges for sale.

katy 07-02-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

What was on the counter at the filling stations?
A metal stand w/a whole bunch of parts catalogues in it, the stand held them at an angle.
There was also a double ended box wrench, 1/2 X 9/16, that the ends hadn't been broached out, just had round holes in it. That was the one they lent out when someone wanted to borrow a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. It always came back in.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1113669)
A rack with 1 quart oil bottles was there or more likely out on the island. I worked for a Chevron station, we pushed Chevron or Standard oils but kept others under the counter. We also offered credit to some regular customers they would settle with us around the first of the month when they would stop by, I don't think any statements were mailed?

Got the rack, bottles and the cans Jim. I do remember the credit book that was kept behind the counter though.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gridleak (Post 1113672)
a big tapered bearing and race that everybody spun while waiting

Now that is something I don't or can't remember. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Willie Krash 07-02-2015 11:58 AM

About 40 years Back a Col. Bird drives into the local Chevron. Kid fills the tank. Col. Bird uses a credit card. Kid goes to the office to call it in....back then you called it in if it was over a certain amount.
Chevron rep in the office had the phone tied up as the owner waited.
Kid go back tells Col Bird he is trying, the Bird gets mad, yells at kid.
Kid calls the Col Bird an asshole. Bird demands to see the owner.
The Bird cries your pump jockey called me an asshole.

Wait for it, the owner Claude wright, says....they only get to do that once a year and they don't waste it.....

That's how it's done.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster (Post 1113673)
A big jar of Tom's Peanutbutter logs. They were only a penny, when a full-sized candy bar was 5 or even 10 cents.
If we were far enough south and out in the boondocks, it might be joined by a big jar of pickled pig's feet or pickled hardboiled eggs in beet juice...
Outside, a drink machine with a vertical row of bottles that you pulled straight out after dropping the nickel, OR a horizontal cabinet one with the drinks arranged in a maze of slots. If you wanted the Nehi grape in the far corner, you had to slide every blasted bottle in the machine around until you solved the puzzle ("Hurry up! We still need to go another 200 miles!!") and got your drink over to the coin-op release in the near corner.

I do have the idea of a Planters jar on the counter and I am considering it. Soda machine I have but not the slider type. Very expensive............for my pocket book but I remember getting Yoo-Hoos from one up at Darr's Garage.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster (Post 1113674)
Also, an old distributor cap with terminals drilled down so it could hold the pencils and pens needed.

That's an idea...thanks. I do remember them also.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cp5491r (Post 1113677)
Lots of pics on internet if you look at 1930's parts stores. That might give some ideas. I wasn't around then but I bet you'd find tobacco tins and rolling papers, a hand-cranked pencil sharpener, and tire gauges for sale.

Been looking at many photos and did get some ideas from them.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 1113681)
Free road maps, light bulbs, fuses, free drinking glasses with a fill up. A bell that rang when a car pulled in. Most of the time you did not get out of your car. They washed your windshield, checked your oil and tires while the gas was going in. Had gas price wars going most of the time. Free ice scrapers with there name on it.

Got the bell, roadmaps, wanted to get the matchbook advert giveaways but I'd have to order a 1000 and I don't think I'll have that many customers, love to have a box of them on the counter though.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1113689)
A metal stand w/a whole bunch of parts catalogues in it, the stand held them at an angle.
There was also a double ended box wrench, 1/2 X 9/16, that the ends hadn't been broached out, just had round holes in it. That was the one they lent out when someone wanted to borrow a 1/2 or 9/16 wrench. It always came back in.

That is something I don't remember or ever seeing. I remember Darr's Garage was a Sinclair station and a Chevy dealership, had room for one car and as the cars got bigger, he had to display a Nova, Corvette or a Convair during the 50s/60s.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie krash (Post 1113696)
about 40 years back a col. Bird drives into the local chevron. Kid fills the tank. Col. Bird uses a credit card. Kid goes to the office to call it in....back then you called it in if it was over a certain amount.
chevron rep in the office had the phone tied up as the owner waited.
Kid go back tells col bird he is trying, the bird gets mad, yells at kid.
Kid calls the col bird an asshole. Bird demands to see the owner.
The bird cries your pump jockey called me an asshole.

Wait for it, the owner claude wright, says....they only get to do that once a year and they don't waste it.....

That's how it's done.

LOL....good story

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-02-2015 01:05 PM

Chiefs' pop box wuz BIG, bottles floated in ICE & WATER. Ice delivered by Gabe Caldwell, in a '37 Chev P.U, with 1/3 of the rear fenders rotted off! He wore a large leather VEST, to protect himself from the BIG blocks of ice, swung over his shoulder, with HUGE ice tongs ! LATER, he would bring COAL, for the POT BELLY, in the SAME truck !
IF I culd tipe well, I culd whip you out 50 or 60 pages of stuff I remember about our Conoco Fillin' Station, even about GAS STAMPS & how Chief converted the pot belly, to an OIL BURNER!
Bill W.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 01:06 PM

At my age, my mind has to work 24/7 to get just one idea, hence why I came here for help. Keep ideas coming please regardless how many stars this thread is given. :D

Calendar!!!!!!!!!! I don't have a calendar, just got a 1931 Rexall weather calendar, complete year, off of eBay and...............four 1937 Grit newspapers. Could be I sold them but they are coming from Florida.

31 Model A 07-02-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1113735)
Chiefs' pop box wuz BIG, bottles floated in ICE & WATER. Ice delivered by Gabe Caldwell, in a '37 Chev P.U, with 1/3 of the rear fenders rotted off! He wore a large leather VEST, to protect himself from the BIG blocks of ice, swung over his shoulder, with HUGE ice tongs ! LATER, he would bring COAL, for the POT BELLY, in the SAME truck !
IF I culd tipe well, I culd whip you out 50 or 60 pages of stuff I remember about our Conoco Fillin' Station, even about GAS STAMPS & how Chief converted the pot belly, to an OIL BURNER!
Bill W.

I too remember the ice blocks, 10 cents a block at the ice house. Put ten cents in and out came a block of ice. I remember putting my head inside the icebox on hot days too. I do have the gas stamps though Bill. You rest up now, cum'on back when ever yur a bit fit to typ sum more.

Don't have room for a pot belly, if I did, I'd have one for sure..............

ericr 07-02-2015 03:11 PM

slot machines while they were legal, at least in stores that were not solely gas stations but also sold groceries, did repair work, etc. also, in season, fireworks.