The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   56 sedandeliver rear mud flap. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313224)

56sedandelivery 05-11-2022 12:53 PM

56 sedandeliver rear mud flap.

2 Attachment(s)
So working under the car and notice one side has the mud flap/guard and the other does not. On the side that does not I see nowhere any mounting points similar to the other side. Did these cars have them on both sides? Left pic is drivers side, right one is pass side. Thanks

5851a 05-11-2022 04:49 PM

Re: 56 sedandeliver rear mud flap.

To protect the fuel filler?

KULTULZ 05-11-2022 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery (Post 2128758)

So working under the car and notice one side has the mud flap/guard and the other does not. On the side that does not I see nowhere any mounting points similar to the other side. Did these cars have them on both sides?

Left pic is drivers side, right one is pass side.

Are the WHEEL HOUSING(s) on the car?

Below is an ILL of the car's lower sheet metal -

Look @ PN 27882. It is the inner and outer wheel-housings together as an assembly.

56sedandelivery 05-11-2022 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2128831)
Are the WHEEL HOUSING(s) on the car?

Below is an ILL of the car's lower sheet metal -

Look @ PN 27882. It is the inner and outer wheel-housings together as an assembly.

Wheel housings are on and in great shape. The one on the drivers side could be to protect the fuel filler since there is not on the pass side. This flap attaches to the inner rear sheet metal with screw and to the floorboard at the top to a L bracket welded to the floor. Neither of these are on the pass side. The drivers side is about 4 inches behind the wheel housing. May just make one if for no other reason then keeping road crap off the rear.

KULTULZ 05-11-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

May just make one if for no other reason then keeping road crap off the rear.
Sounds good to me as the deflector was not shown. The right wheelhouse looked funny on your photo but you are there and I ain't ... ;)

Who knows, it might have been covered in a PARTS SPECIAL LETTER.

5851a 05-12-2022 05:21 PM

Maybe it's listed under stone guard or gravel deflector? I don't think anything will keep the crap off of the back of a wagon due to the body shape.

KULTULZ 05-13-2022 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5851a (Post 2129141)

Maybe it's listed under stone guard or gravel deflector? I don't think anything will keep the crap off of the back of a wagon due to the body shape.

I looked under SHEET METAL and FUEL SECTION and saw no mention of it. Doesn't mean it's not hiding somewhere in the MPC though ...

Doesn't the wheelhouse and extension encapsulate ... :confused: ... the rear tire?

This protects the fuel filler pipe?

Dave?

56sedandelivery 05-14-2022 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2129228)
I looked under SHEET METAL and FUEL SECTION and saw no mention of it. Doesn't mean it's not hiding somewhere in the MPC though ...

Doesn't the wheelhouse and extension encapsulate ... :confused: ... the rear tire?

This protects the fuel filler pipe?

Dave?

The wheel housing only cover the tire down to the floorboard and that is fairly high on the SD. There is no extension. I think the drivers side is to protect the filler as has been noted. Probably never had anything similar on the pass side.

JimNNN 05-15-2022 01:40 PM

Interesting. I'm going to check on my '54 Ranch Wagon and see what it looks like.

Daves55Sedan 05-15-2022 03:24 PM

I have a '55 Courier sedan delivery and it never had a splash shield in front of the gas tank filler neck and there isn't one on the passenger side either. looked real hard for some divets in the area where your pan is shown and it is flat and smooth as a board. Maybe it was something that was added in the '56 model year.

KULTULZ 05-15-2022 07:10 PM

PN 27856 is the extension I am describing -

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1652308718

What I am trying to figure out is the front of the RH wheelhouse. Is that a cut-out section in the front of it?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...9&d=1652291535

56sedandelivery 05-15-2022 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lousy pic. Will try and get a better one. The grey area is the wheel housing. The darker black is the floor board.

Better pics. Inside of car and under car. Hope this helps.

Daves55Sedan 05-16-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2129892)
What I am trying to figure out is the front of the RH wheelhouse. Is that a cut-out section in the front of it?

I get why you ask that. It's an optical illusion. What you are really seeing there is the back of the wheelhouse where it meets with the flange of the floorpan. His camera is pointed somewhat upward, rather than straight toward the front. We are not even seeing the front of the wheelhouse in that photo. It is out of the camera view, and even if he could shoot a photo straight forward, the tire would mostly block the view of the front of the wheelhouse.

KULTULZ 05-21-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 2130213)

I get why you ask that. It's an optical illusion. What you are really seeing there is the back of the wheelhouse where it meets with the flange of the floorpan. His camera is pointed somewhat upward, rather than straight toward the front. We are not even seeing the front of the wheelhouse in that photo. It is out of the camera view, and even if he could shoot a photo straight forward, the tire would mostly block the view of the front of the wheelhouse.

Copy and I appreciate that.

Guess I need to look under one ... :D