The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Introduction (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311345)

DAG74 03-22-2022 08:14 AM

Introduction

3 Attachment(s)
Hello. I recently got myself the car I have wanted since I was a kid. A 1950 Merc. It is a 4 door but I could not pass it up. The car came with documentation from day one, original owners manual and keys. It has the flathead with 3 speed/overdrive and has been properly converted to 12V. All guages work. It is a fun car to drive.

Plans are to upgrade the master cylinder and modify some F100 drums to fit on the front. I'm pretty sure I will need to make a center ring and elongate the 3 mounting holes.

tubman 03-22-2022 08:37 AM

Re: Introduction

Welcome, "DAG74"! You will find this forum to be a great resource. There are many very knowledgeable folks on here. Looks like a nice car, and four doors aren't so bad as long as they're suicide.

You might want to add your general location to your profile, as it may help with finding local resources.

19Fordy 03-22-2022 08:45 AM

DAG74: CONGRATS ON GETTING SUCH A NICE mERC.
Please be sure to post a write up with photos showing the steps you follw to make the F100 drums fit as this is much needed information.

Zeke3 03-22-2022 09:33 AM

Welcome Dag74m, nice looking Mercury. My brother-in-law has one; I hope he contacts me if he ever decides to sell it.

joe 1950 03-22-2022 10:00 AM

DAG74 Great looking old Merc it’s nice to find one like that with all the paper to go with it I see you have a block of wood under the left rear tire does your parking brake work or is that just added safety,one of the best things i ever did was put new cables in and adj. it you’ll never know when your going to need it Southside Obsolete in Minnesota he has a lot of NOS cables that fit perfect good luck and enjoy

deuce_roadster 03-22-2022 10:19 AM

Welcome, I have 2 4 door cars and am not the least bit ashamed of that! Can only take 1 person for a ride in a 32 roadster or coupe!
Ask any question you need answered here, this is a great resource.

corvette8n 03-22-2022 10:19 AM

Welcome to the barn, cool Merc, keep the forum updated with pictures.

Darrell S 03-22-2022 10:34 AM

49 through 51 Mercs are cool no matter how many doors they have. Very nice looking car.

JM 35 Sedan 03-22-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAG74 (Post 2115110)
Hello. I recently got myself the car I have wanted since I was a kid. A 1950 Merc. It is a 4 door but I could not pass it up. The car came with documentation from day one, original owners manual and keys. It has the flathead with 3 speed/overdrive and has been properly converted to 12V. All guages work. It is a fun car to drive.

Plans are to upgrade the master cylinder and modify some F100 drums to fit on the front. I'm pretty sure I will need to make a center ring and elongate the 3 mounting holes.

Wow! Such a nice car to own, congratulations!! Four door vehicles make great driving/touring cars

Welcome to the Fordbarn. Feel free to ask questions....the guys & gals here are very willing to help with there knowledge.

I don't know if you are already a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America, but if not, it would be a great club to join for many reasons.

DAG74 03-22-2022 10:39 AM

Thanks everybody. Im definitely ok with it being a 4 door. I hope I didnt come across negative towards 4 doors. I love the suicide rear doors.

The block of wood was put down as a "just in case". That was right after I got it home.

The parking brake cables seem to engage and disengage fine. The problem I have is that after driving a short distance in normal stop and go traffic, the parking brake engages and the brakes lock up. Once cooled, all is well.

I removed the parking brake arms, wired the cables out of the way and that seemed to fix the issue. I can drive all day long with no problems at all. When I got the car the brake shoes were all different sizes so I can imagine that the parking brake arms are wrong as well. They do not rotate freely on the inside of the brake shoes.

So I will either modify what I have or find proper parking brake arms.

petehoovie 03-22-2022 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAG74 (Post 2115110)
Hello. I recently got myself the car I have wanted since I was a kid. A 1950 Merc.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...5&d=1647954310

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1647954310

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1647954310

drolston 03-22-2022 11:06 AM

There are actually a few cars that look better with four doors than two, and the 49 - 51 Merc is a prime example. Why would anyone owning such a car put up with the bother of climbing past the front seat to get into that big rear living room. That would be almost as pointless and weird looking as the Lincoln Town Cars made with two doors.

fortyonerag 03-23-2022 06:23 AM

Nice car! Thanks for sharing the pics and g'day from down under.

mfirth 03-23-2022 06:52 AM

Welcome to "the barn", and as others have said ....THAT IS A NICE MERC!!!

Lawson Cox 03-23-2022 02:46 PM

Nice looking Mercury. 4 doors make great family /touring cars. And yes, this is an awesome place for info and help. I know, I've gotten a lot of help here over the years. Lawson.

DAG74 03-24-2022 10:30 AM

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome. I hope I'm able to contribute to the forum. I am planning on posting the brake information/mods I end up doing for those who plan on keeping the drums.

rotorwrench 03-25-2022 10:37 AM

The Sport Sedan with the skirts was a highly prized family car in 1951. My Pop had a 6-passenger coupe until my sister was injured due to the non locking hinge front seat back during an emergency stop. She went down to the floor and the seat back came back down on her head. This was well before child seats or even seat belts were considered for safety. It scared the crap out of my mother but it didn't permanently damage my sis at least as far as I can tell. Pop traded it for a royal maroon 1951 Sport Sedan that I still own. There are a lot of memories in that car.

Tinker 03-26-2022 12:27 AM

Very nice ride.

sugarmaker 03-26-2022 06:39 AM

Awesome Merc! Congrats! They sure do look sharp. Have fun with it. The folks on here are the best to help if you have any questions.
Regards,
Chris

Ol' Ron 03-26-2022 10:48 PM

Welcome, Had one back in the late 550s. Definitely up the brakes. I'd go with a front disk conversion. This car needs it!
Gramps