The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Transmission End Play (stock 41) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302125)

Veeder 08-06-2021 07:14 AM

Transmission End Play (stock 41)

I've rebuilt the tran. And in the final stages of assy. I do have a little bit of end play when pulling on the spline rear shaft (1/8 inch approx.) Based on what I've read on Vapelts Web site (super helpful) that is not acceptable. I'll call them Monday as I believe they have washers for this issue.
Would like to hear from someone who may have dealt with this successfully.
Bob

Zeke3 08-06-2021 07:59 AM

Re: Transmission End Play (stock 41)

Do you have the universal joint installed on the end of the shaft? It took all the end play out of my 1937 trans when the joint is bolted in place.

Veeder 08-06-2021 09:54 AM

I do not and wow I was wondering if the Universal joint had anything to do with it. I don't have a U Joint to try it but very very good information thank u
Bob

HD Rider 08-06-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veeder (Post 2043308)
I do not and wow I was wondering if the Universal joint had anything to do with it. I don't have a U Joint to try it but very very good information thank u
Bob

There's the problem. When you tighten the ujoint, it pulls the output shaft tight against the rear bearing.

Veeder 08-06-2021 02:34 PM

Many thks guys! And yes you will love it building a frame to protect this thing for 6 mths or so I dropped it as the frame was not quite done but the 2x4 protected the tran case but the rear mount broke. Lovely!!! U gotta love it

Bored&Stroked 08-06-2021 04:11 PM

Hey guys, I don't believe the u-joint has anything to do with it . . . will check a 39 box that I just finished in the AM.

With that said you have to have the transmission mount on the box to hold the rear bearing in (or it can move backwards) - so if you don't have the mount on, then use a 3/8" bolt with a big washer and thread it in the back so the washer holds the bearing in place.

Veeder 08-06-2021 05:48 PM

Thks Bored and stroked it would be nice to confirm the situation otherwise I must be looking at putting shims in

Stay tuned

Bored&Stroked 08-06-2021 08:41 PM

Veeder - when you mention play - what is it? Is it the main-shaft moving inside the bearing at the rear? I've never seen that - so please explain?

bbrocksr 08-06-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2043463)
Veeder - when you mention play - what is it? Is it the main-shaft moving inside the bearing at the rear? I've never seen that - so please explain?

U joint clamps/secures the shaft to the bearing, rear bearing retainer/rear mount clamps/secures the bearing to the case. Both must be secured before checking endplay,
Bill

HD Rider 08-06-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrocksr (Post 2043473)
U joint clamps/secures the shaft to the bearing, rear bearing retainer/rear mount clamps/secures the bearing to the case. Both must be secured before checking endplay,
Bill

Nailed it.

Bored&Stroked 08-06-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrocksr (Post 2043473)
Bill

So explain how it works when you have an open drive transmission shaft with a slip yoke on the back? Same transmission, just different main shaft. I will checkout both main shafts tomorrow . . . as I'm curious myself.

svm99 08-06-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2043476)
So explain how it works when you have an open drive transmission shaft with a slip yoke on the back? Same transmission, just different main shaft. I will checkout both main shafts tomorrow . . . as I'm curious myself.

The open drive rear bearing is retained on the shaft by the speedometer drive gear and a snap ring. I've found the speedometer gears to be in slightly different widths to minimize the end play when the snap ring is put in place.

Veeder 08-07-2021 05:20 AM

Great information thks again!
Now it's time to find a new rear bearing retainer. Seems like there are multiple types. I still can't believe I dropped it unbelievable. Have a great day guys my 41 is going for a ride today!!!!!

Terry,OH 08-07-2021 06:29 AM

The front and rear bearing outer retaining snap rings must be of the proper thickness as the originals. 0.075-0.080"

Ol' Ron 08-07-2021 07:11 AM

Back in the day, we we would meadure the distance between the inside of the two retiner rings on the fron and rear bearings in a lathe. with the assemble held tight, all .006/.008" and machine the case to match. Tis kept the trans from jumping out of 2nd. it also kept them together behind the Oldsmobile engines. Later I was told this was wrong and you should use shims, but I don't know where you'd put the shims. It was about this time the cad/LaSal trand got popular. Maybe somebody will remember this.
Gramps

Veeder 08-12-2021 09:57 AM

Mounting the U-joint took all the end play out just an update

FRANK PKNY 08-12-2021 10:03 AM

The shims would be correct prior to loading th u joint. Do you have VanPelts book? it goes over this aspect.

Karl Wolf 08-12-2021 11:03 AM

Mac VanPelt has an excellent transmission book.
Get one

Karl