The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Period correct fire extingusher (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293084)

flathead 53 01-16-2021 04:44 PM

Period correct fire extingusher

I have a period correct brass fire extingusher with mounting bracket , it was dealer item from ford , iwould like to mount it someware on my restored 53 f-100 , i have an antique potter trunk mounted in the bed ,thinking about next to it , would like to display, it , any ideas ?

FortyNiner 01-16-2021 05:26 PM

Re: Period correct fire extingusher

The ones I've seen were mounted on the floor by the driver's door.

19Fordy 01-16-2021 05:33 PM

I'm no expert but make sure it's filled with the correct Fire Extinguisher Substance for a car fire. I have heard Halon is the best but, is not period correct. I guess you could carry 2.

1942deluxe 01-16-2021 05:46 PM

I was an USAF firefighter and halon was a great agent but I think banned today because of concerns for the ozone. Did it's job and then dissipated . I think we're stuck with dry chem
today which makes a royal mess and creates corrosion.

ford38v8 01-16-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1942deluxe (Post 1974893)
I was an USAF firefighter and halon was a great agent but I think banned today because of concerns for the ozone. Did it's job and then dissipated . I think we're stuck with dry chem
today which makes a royal mess and creates corrosion.

Your legal but corrosive dry chemical extinguisher might well be converted to storage space for a good upgraded fire insurance policy. 🤨

Bob C 01-16-2021 07:38 PM

Looks like now they have Halotron.

alanwoodieman 01-16-2021 07:43 PM

the old pump fire ext. were Pyrine? or something akin to it, would put out a fire and remove any color that happened to be near it and aspixiate you in the process

woodiewagon46 01-16-2021 08:07 PM

The accessory "Fire and Tire Unit", that was offered in '46-'48, was filled with carbon dioxide gas. The mounting bracket did not come with the extinguisher but was available at extra cost. I have seen them mounted on the passenger side kick panel. If your extinguisher is from the '50s I would think it is also charged with carbon dioxide.

51504bat 01-16-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flathead 53 (Post 1974880)
I have a period correct brass fire extingusher with mounting bracket , it was dealer item from ford , iwould like to mount it someware on my restored 53 f-100 , i have an antique potter trunk mounted in the bed ,thinking about next to it , would like to display, it , any ideas ?

Install it next to the trunk for display per your initial thoughts and get a modern ABC rated extinguisher in case you need it. Install somewhere you can get to it easily and relax knowing you have an extinguisher if you need it but hope you never do. JMO.

Lawson Cox 01-16-2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flathead 53 (Post 1974880)

What about a picture of your truck, showing the bed/trunk et al.

19Fordy 01-16-2021 10:47 PM

I found this statement on the internet Google. Halotron is also available.
"While the production of Halon ceased on January 1, 1994, under the Clean Air Act, it is still legal to purchase and use recycled Halon and Halon fire extinguishers. In fact, the FAA continues to recommend Halon fire extinguishers for aircraft."

Don Rogers 01-16-2021 11:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Which one do you have? The Ford one would be post war 40's and the Fomoco would be after that. Early 50's?

Newc 01-17-2021 12:00 AM

Yea; the old WW 2 Carbon Tet pump type? Puts out the fire and you. Newc

flathead 53 01-17-2021 07:43 AM

Thanks , the one that I have is the the one from the fifties , I do have A modern fire extinguisher mounted in the cab. this vintage one is empty just for show , Im still thinking about mounting it in front of the potter trunk on the bed floor.

alanwoodieman 01-17-2021 09:24 AM

newc, that is what I was think about. we had them mounted on every fork lift for years until we started using battery powered fork lifts!

Don Rogers 01-17-2021 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You could always make your own!!!!!!!! Har, Har, Har!!

37 Cab 01-17-2021 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have this one mounted to the passenger kick panel in my Cabriolet. And a dry chemical extinguisher behind the seat should I ever need one.Attachment 453101

corvette8n 01-18-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Cab (Post 1975106)
I have this one mounted to the passenger kick panel in my Cabriolet. And a dry chemical extinguisher behind the seat should I ever need one.Attachment 453101

I have one that looks like that, but it’s painted olive drab, not sure where my Dad got it, but it was hanging on his garage wall since 1960, it’s empty now for display only.

PeteVS 01-19-2021 08:45 AM

When I was a kid we had an old brass fire extinguisher in the basement. Dad said it was filled with carbon tetra chloride. He said that when it was used, it releases phosgene(?) gas that can be deadly. I think that the carbon tet isn't too good either.