The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A rearend conversion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292943)

yohoc1 01-13-2021 04:24 PM

Model A rearend conversion

Looking for information to convert a Model A rearend to accommodate a modern driveshaft yoke

Bob C 01-13-2021 04:50 PM

Re: Model A rearend conversion

Here you go. https://valleymachineshop.com/model-a-parts.html

PotvinV8 01-14-2021 12:37 AM

I converted my Model A rearend to an open driveline using parts from Speedway Motors as part of the T5 swap.

You can read the whole story here: https://clampdowncomp.com/tech/insta...-model-a-ford/

old31 01-14-2021 09:26 AM

1: Potvin, at 60 what are your rpms?

2: What gear ratio is your your end?

3: Is it true that on a T5 first gear is too low, and you end up taking off from 2nd?

Charlie Stephens 01-14-2021 12:26 PM

Remember you will need to add brackets to keep the rear end from twisting. My advice would be a later, stronger, rear end if you are going to make the brackets.

Charlie Stephens

1930pu 01-14-2021 04:22 PM

I used Valley Machine also, great guy....

Dan McEachern 01-14-2021 07:42 PM

Valley Machine Shop offers a brace for the rear end when converting to open drive line.

yohoc1 01-15-2021 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info!

Gene F 01-16-2021 07:06 PM

Some people I talk to say going to the S-10 5-speed doesn't pick up that much, and it's whole lotta work. So how much MPH do ya pick up?

denis4x4 01-16-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 1974909)
Some people I talk to say going to the S-10 5-speed doesn't pick up that much, and it's whole lotta work. So how much MPH do ya pick up?

Have had my T-5 for ten years and it has nothing to do with speed, engine modifications determine the increase in speed. I can run 75 MPH with a fifth gear overdrive without stressing the engine.

denis4x4 01-16-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 1974909)

Have had my T-5 for ten years and it has nothing to do with speed, engine modifications determine the increase in speed. I can run 75 MPH with a fifth gear overdrive without stressing the engine.

PotvinV8 01-17-2021 02:33 AM

It is a bit of work, but my Model A trans had bad bearings and I wasn't about to do all the work to fix it just to replace it with another A trans. For me, it was about the benefit of having a trans with syncros as much as it was the overdriven 5th gear. Being able to down shift and/or shift into first without stopping completely, as well as the closer gear spread, changed the nature of the car completely.

PotvinV8 01-17-2021 02:35 AM

Quote:

1: Potvin, at 60 what are your rpms?
I don't have a tach in the car, but using an engine rpm calculator, about 2000 rpm, give or take.

Quote:

2: What gear ratio is your your end?
3.54:1

Quote:

3: Is it true that on a T5 first gear is too low, and you end up taking off from 2nd?
No, there are a number of different gear ratios that came in the T5 transmissions.

Charlie Stephens 01-17-2021 03:26 AM

What many of the people are overlooking is that the Model A is not a car you would like to run all day at 75 MPH. I have a '31 RDPU with 3.54 gears. It is happy at 55 MPH. It will do 75 but at that speed the front fenders act like airplane wings making it very light in the front and susceptible side winds. A good example would be the wind being pushed by a semi or a wind blowing down a canyon that crosses to road. I like it to be my decision when to change lanes. Mechanical brakes are not designed for 75 MPH. The steering and suspension are not designed for 75 MPH.

Charlie Stephens

PotvinV8 01-18-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1975024)
What many of the people are overlooking is that the Model A is not a car you would like to run all day at 75 MPH. I have a '31 RDPU with 3.54 gears. It is happy at 55 MPH. It will do 75 but at that speed the front fenders act like airplane wings making it very light in the front and susceptible side winds. A good example would be the wind being pushed by a semi or a wind blowing down a canyon that crosses to road. I like it to be my decision when to change lanes. Mechanical brakes are not designed for 75 MPH. The steering and suspension are not designed for 75 MPH.

Charlie Stephens

Agreed 100%!! I never drive my A at 75 mph for every reason and then some as you stated. I avoid the freeway 95% of the time, here in Southern California, mostly due to idiot drivers.

The takeaway, for me, on the T5 conversion was the syncros that allowed easier shifting around town and the closer ratio of gears between first and fourth. Around town, with the stock box, second seemed to get rung out a little farther than I preferred and third tended to be a little too tall. Splitting the difference with the T5's gearing seemed to helped a lot. Food for thought I guess...

Dave in MN 01-18-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Charlie Stephens

I like that comment...laughed...and agree!
I have often said over 75mph feels like you have air suspension. With the full fenders, you do!
Good Day!

wensum 01-18-2021 02:47 PM

Our speedster will cruise effortlessly at 70mph with the F150 gearbox and the highest ratio 4th gear, but we only hold this speed on a motorway in light traffic and excellent road surface. Otherwise, it's most comfortable cruising speed is around 55 mph and it's brakes and suspension that dictate that.

denis4x4 01-19-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Charlie Stephens

Agreed....my point was simply that the engine determined top speed, not the transmission. I'm running a B engine with an original CRAGAR head, hydraulic brakes, F-100 steering box and a host of other go-fast goodies.