The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Clutch chatter solved! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292904)

Dick 01-12-2021 08:41 PM

Clutch chatter solved!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Wanted to say thanks to everyone one the Barn that has posted about clutch chatter. It was extremely helpful.

Here is what I found:

The throwout bearing should be carefully examined at the point the bearing seats to the base of the hub. It was the issue for my violent chatter. I ended up ordering two more with the bearing on the hub. On one the bearing was cheap junk but on the other the bearing wasn't fully seated to the hub! It was at a slight slant. I bought a USA made bearing from NAPA and had the local mechanic press it on for me. He caught it instantly but his was not tight on one side. He pressed it again and it fit tight and correct
They only seat on the bottom 1/8th of an inch of the bearing and the hub
See the picture. slant at the front of the hub is an optical illusion; its square.

The second is the clutch disc itself. I think quality is the issue and you can see it in the picture. The disc on the right is the Fort Wayne Clutch.

My clutch is smooooth and works perfectly now. What a relief!

I did order another pressure plate from FWC which I installed but it looked exactly like the others so can't say it made a difference. I just don't know.

In conclusion: I would inspect the throwout bearing and hub to be mated correctly and use a USA made TO bearing.

I would buy my clutch parts from Fort Wayne Clutch for best quality

Thanks again guys for all the input; it was invaluable to me!
Dick

J Franklin 01-12-2021 08:57 PM

Re: Clutch chatter solved!

I like the disc on the left, it looks well made with flex center, beefier hub attachment, and caged springs. I'm sure both would work OK. It's great you have a good working clutch.

hotcoupe 01-12-2021 09:17 PM

I had Fort Wayne Clutch rebuild the clutch in my '37 1/2 ton, i couldn't be happier with their work.
Tom

Lawson Cox 01-12-2021 11:05 PM

I didn't know a throwout bearing had to be PRESSED on.
News to me, but then I'm only a Shade Tree Mechanic, Third Grade.

GB SISSON 01-12-2021 11:25 PM

Like Mr. Franklin, I like the one on the left, and I also never had one pressed on. They have all been good over the years, but the one in the woodie chatters badly starting on a hill.

1948F-1Pickup 01-14-2021 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thinner marcel spring on the one on the left. Easy to see that the one on the right
would engage smoother......

cadillac512 01-14-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup (Post 1974062)
Thinner marcel spring on the one on the left. Easy to see that the one on the right

I agree.

G.M. 01-15-2021 10:09 AM

When I was a kid 75 years ago we swipped a fire xting and
squirted carbon teck in trough the trany inspection plate
and with the front bumper against a tree slipped the clutch.
That usually worked for a while. G.M.

JM 35 Sedan 01-15-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup (Post 1974062)

I also agree 100% with your assessment. The Fort Wayne on the right is the better choice. I've had at least four sets, of clutch & pressure plates rebuilt by Fort Wayne, and those sets are all now working extremely well in vehicles. I've had several issues with C&PP's coming from off shore manufacturer's. Getting ready to send two more sets of cores to Fort Wayne now.

1930ModelA 01-15-2021 05:35 PM

Years ago I had many aggravating days dealing with chatter and shaking in my ‘36 after installing a new setup from Drake. Took the advise of many who are more knowledgeable than I and bought a C&PP set from Fort Wayne. Absolutely zero problems and years of pleasurable driving after that install. Would never go to anyone else again.