The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering Free Play Update (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292881)

Ed in Maine 01-12-2021 01:14 PM

Steering Free Play Update

I have looked at the tie rod and drag link and see that the end caps in some cases are not flush with the rod. Some appear to be in too far. The Model A Service and Maintenance Guide recommends that the end caps be screwed in to compress the springs 25%. How do you verify that? After the end cap contacts the ball cap does anyone know how many turns the end cap has to go to compress the spring 25%? Thanks for your help. Ed

sofield 01-12-2021 01:30 PM

Re: Steering Free Play Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1973205)
I have looked at the tie rod and drag link and see that the end caps in some cases are not flush with the rod. Some appear to be in too far. The Model A Service and Maintenance Guide recommends that the end caps be screwed in to compress the springs 25%. How do you verify that? After the end cap contacts the ball cap does anyone know how many turns the end cap has to go to compress the spring 25%? Thanks for your help. Ed

Adjust the plug so it is flush and one additional turn until the cotter pin can be installed.

J Franklin 01-12-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofield (Post 1973217)
Adjust the plug so it is flush and one additional turn until the cotter pin can be installed.

This MIGHT work but maybe too loose.

GeneBob 01-12-2021 01:49 PM

Take out the spring and measure its length. Count the threads per inch of the threaded plug. (1/4) X (Spring Length) X (Threads per Inch) = Number of Turns

I don't know the actual number but let's say the spring is 3/4" long and the thread is 32 threads per inch.
1/4 X 3/4" X 32 = 6 turns from the time that the threaded plug touches the spring.
Like I said, I don't know the actual measurements. I could not find them online.

Ed in Maine 01-12-2021 01:49 PM

Thank you for the input. I am working on the drag link, the end over the front axle. I just put the end cap flush with the drag link by a 1/4 turn after contacting the ball cap. In other words, there is very little compression on the spring. How many turns further in with just this light load? Ed

Ed in Maine 01-12-2021 01:52 PM

Hello GeneBob, thank you for that data. However, this has just been packed with grease. Is there a cleaner way to solve this problem? Ed

GeneBob 01-12-2021 02:02 PM

How tight?
German method: Gudentight
Russian method: Stripinthenutsoff
Polish method: Knuckleowski
No political correctness here.

Ed in Maine 01-12-2021 02:15 PM

GeneBob, that is what I did yesterday. I took it out for a test drive and after I made a turn, I had to pull the steering wheel back to the forward position. I didn't realize that those little cups can create a lot of drag if they are too tight. Today I am trying to correct the mistakes I made yesterday. It is a good thing I am retired to have the time to mess around with botched repairs like this! Ed

Marshall V. Daut 01-12-2021 02:16 PM

PM sent.
Marshall

Ed in Maine 01-12-2021 02:40 PM

Marshall, thank you for your input. Ed

Patrick L. 01-12-2021 03:10 PM

If you tighten the springs on the tie-rods then the toe should definitely be reset.