The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   V8 Camshaft Bolt Pattern (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291492)

Biggles 12-12-2020 06:24 AM

V8 Camshaft Bolt Pattern

Good morning Barners.
Where can I find a dimensioned drawing of the bolt pattern of V8 camshafts, with the one hole offset?
Any pointers gratefully received.

www.battenspecial.com

Zeke3 12-12-2020 10:56 AM

Re: V8 Camshaft Bolt Pattern

Biggles, you can order a digital copy of the part drawing from the Benson Ford Research Center, $30/per drawing. I am trying it for the first time this week and they said I should get a digital copy of the drawing I requested shortly after the first of the year.

Bored&Stroked 12-12-2020 01:57 PM

I'll make you a drawing latter on today - will come from my 3D CAD model. What are you going to use it for?

Biggles 12-12-2020 03:21 PM

Thank you, that will be a great help.

I'm making a jig/tool to re-drill the camshaft mounting holes in the timing gear to enable the camshaft to be advanced or retarded anything up to five degrees.

Why? Because by degreeing various camshafts it has been discovered that some are as much as 3 degrees away from specification. For example:

https://i.postimg.cc/HLB3DdV3/Max-1-data.jpg

GOSFAST 12-12-2020 03:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles (Post 1962256)

I'm making a jig/tool to re-drill the camshaft mounting holes in the timing gear to enable the camshaft to be advanced or retarded anything up to five degrees.

Why? Because by degreeing various camshafts it has been discovered that some are as much as 3 degrees away from specification. For example:

There's an easy way, we use the SBC "pills" to adjust the timing!

I'll put some shots below!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With our method you can get more than 5* if needed?

Biggles 12-12-2020 03:50 PM

Yes, thanks Gary. I've used that method on a Cad 331.
I just like making things.

Ol' Ron 12-12-2020 04:44 PM

I've filed the holes and used star washers if I thought changing the cam timing would help. However, for mosy applications, I don't think 2 or 3 degrees makes much difference.
Gramps

Pete 12-12-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles (Post 1962256)

If you did a lot of them, you would find some are off more than 3 degrees.
From your profile I see you are qualified to figure out the math and I assume you have the shop equipment to do the work so why not just set the gear up on the turntable and drill it where you need it?
If you are careful you can drill 3 new offset set of holes.

Bored&Stroked 12-13-2020 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what you need - I cut if from a PDF that came from a fellow flathead racer. When I checked my CAD model, I did not have the bolt pattern detailed as of yet and I don't have time to get to it - so a raster image will have to do.

This should give you everything you need (you may need to zoom in).

Attachment 450058

Mart 12-13-2020 11:54 AM

That cam end drawing looks very interesting. Lots of useful info there.

I can't speak of all the dimensions, I would like to believe they are ok, but the thread callout as 1/4-28 is an error It's 5/16-24.

Mart.

Zeke3 12-13-2020 12:10 PM

That is why there is always a checker in Drafting.

Bored&Stroked 12-13-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1962532)
That cam end drawing looks very interesting. Lots of useful info there.

I can't speak of all the dimensions, I would like to believe they are ok, but the thread callout as 1/4-28 is an error It's 5/16-24.

Mart.

Yep - I didn't catch that, but I have the correct threaded holes in my 3D CAD model - just didn't have time to do the 2D detail drawings and modify the snout for the earlier t-slot setup.

Biggles 12-13-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1962396)
... why not just set the gear up on the turntable and drill it ...?

I could do (have done) that.
As I said, I just like designing and making things.

Biggles 12-13-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1962502)
This should give you everything you need.

Yes, it does (apart from the bolts).
Many thanks.

Bored&Stroked 12-13-2020 06:27 PM

To me, it is an easy job with a rotary table and a 'pointer' to a cam tooth (marked as the install tooth). Once you setup on the stock locations and the pointer on the stock 'indexed tooth" - then determine where the first hole is, then you can select a "new tooth" to be the indexed tooth and use the degree markings to know where to drill each hole (advanced or retarded). Easy peasy! LOL

I'd probably make a quick aluminum "centering mandrel" - that fits in the hole on my rotary table and picks up the center hole on the cam gear (with a drilled/tapped hole in the center to hold down the cam gear) - making it very easy to pop one on the table and have things ready to rock.

Heck, since I'm going to be putting a 302 CI flathead together in January, might just have to set this up for shits and giggles - will post back to this thread.

Biggles 12-13-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1962670)
Heck, since I'm going to be putting a 302 CI flathead together in January, might just have to set this up for shits and giggles - will post back to this thread.

Got all you said, B&S.

Heck, since I'm putting together a 286 CI 21-stud, there may be no time for messing with cam jigs, even for sh*ts and giggles. :)

Look forward to your post back - me too.
Thanks, all.

Bored&Stroked 12-13-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles (Post 1962685)
Got all you said, B&S.

Heck, since I'm putting together a 286 CI 21-stud, there may be no time for messing with cam jigs, even for sh*ts and giggles. :)

Look forward to your post back - me too.
Thanks, all.

How are you getting a big enough bore for 286 cubes?

Pete 12-13-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1962708)

Also, I am wondering what he is doing about moving the valves.
Anything is possible. Look what Ron Main did. As far as that goes, look what we do for 352 ci.

frnkeore 12-14-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

It's either a typo on the 21 or he's going to have to put a 4.5 stroke in it.

tubman 12-14-2020 12:48 PM

One thought : He's in England so he's probably working with a Pilot engine. The only thing I really know about them is that they were also produced after the war. Do you suppose that could make any difference?