The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sticking pop-out button on Electrolock (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290329)

ericr 11-17-2020 07:38 PM

sticking pop-out button on Electrolock

I know the factory advice was to squirt graphite into the key hole, but has anyone know if that electronic contact cleaner spray is safe to try?

700rpm 11-17-2020 09:02 PM

Re: sticking pop-out button on Electrolock

Electrolock bodies are pot metal. Moisture can cause them to get deformed, and make the lock piston sticky. Eventually the lock body can crack or break. I can’t say for sure that is your problem, but that is what happened to my original popout. I tried the graphite first, but it didn’t work. You might have better luck. Always best to try the easy stuff first.

McMimmcs 11-17-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1953321)
I know the factory advice was to squirt graphite into the key hole, but has anyone know if that electronic contact cleaner spray is safe to try?

Did you try the graphite first?

ericr 11-18-2020 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1953366)
Did you try the graphite first?

oh yes, it seemed to help but only slightly

verdirick 11-18-2020 01:00 AM

Call Dick Crabtree. You can find him on the MAFCA website. He is the master on electrolock pop outs.

Badpuppy 11-18-2020 10:15 AM

Contact cleaner is a fluorocarbon, will probably wash away lubricant. WD-40 might be a better choice, but I'd use graphite anyway.

McMimmcs 11-18-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badpuppy (Post 1953473)
Contact cleaner is a fluorocarbon, will probably wash away lubricant. WD-40 might be a better choice, but I'd use graphite anyway.

I’ve used the graphite on two Pop outs with excellent results!

Will N 11-18-2020 11:09 AM

I've found that I have to be careful about setting the pop out switch in the dashboard. If it's cocked in any way, or if I over tighten the three screws holding it, the lock cylinder will bind and it won't "pop" out.

Kurt in NJ 11-18-2020 11:48 AM

Wen I had mine apart I could see the rub marks where the pot metal has swelled some I filed it down some till it all moved smoothly, I put the repro plated covers on and found I had to file the face one to have it fit original key too

30 Closed Cab PU 11-18-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badpuppy (Post 1953473)

WD 40 is not a lubricant and may also flush away the lubricant. If WD 40 is used for this is best to re-lube. Never use WD 40 on bearings, will flush out the lube on non or poroly sealed bearings. Ran across this when a maintenance worker "lubed" a machine with WD 40, not long after all bearings failed, and the bearings spun on their shafts.