The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A New Winter House for My "A" (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290205)

Jemelton# 11-15-2020 10:59 AM

A New Winter House for My "A"

2 Attachment(s)
After many heated "discussions" with she who must be obeyed, the new pickup gets a coveted spot in the heated garage.

So I ordered the pictured 12 X 20 building which was delivered a week or so ago, and was placed on a concrete pad poured earlier.

Electric service was installed underground to the building, and a 7500 watt
electric heater was placed inside.

Later the building will be insulated and will become my new man cave.

Peace is now in place at the homestead.;)

WHN 11-15-2020 11:22 AM

Re: A New Winter House for My "A"

Watch for mice!

Nice looking place to keep your toy.

Enjoy.

McMimmcs 11-15-2020 01:04 PM

What was price of building and who is the supplier?

Jemelton# 11-15-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1952433)
What was price of building and who is the supplier?

Mid-America Structures,

midamericastructures.com

High quality well built. price list on website

1931 flamingo 11-15-2020 02:00 PM

I just did a 24x24 modular two car garage Pine Creek Structures), placed on compacted gravel. Tore down the original one car (1924) and 2 small add on sheds. Now the wife has one side and I have the other. Electric in the spring, using extension cord now just for the snow blower.
Paul in CT

ronn 11-15-2020 02:11 PM

congrats!

am wondering what that electric bill is going to be..............

McMimmcs 11-15-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemelton# (Post 1952447)
Mid-America Structures,

midamericastructures.com

High quality well built. price list on website

Thank you for the prompt reply. Wayne

Jemelton# 11-17-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1952467)
Thank you for the prompt reply. Wayne

Your welcome.

Brentwood Bob 11-17-2020 02:27 PM

Watch out for condensation.
The concrete pad should help.
On my wish list.
The she who must be obeyed must be a Midwest expression. I've heard it before.

Chuck Dempsey 11-17-2020 04:44 PM

'She who must be obeyed...' is from an English TV series 'Rumpole of the Baily'. At least, that is where I picked it up.....

77Birdman 11-18-2020 08:54 AM

Good Deal! Nice little car barn. I cant imagine the electric will be all that much (once insulated).

alexiskai 11-18-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey (Post 1953252)
'She who must be obeyed...' is from an English TV series 'Rumpole of the Baily'. At least, that is where I picked it up.....

Originally appeared in an 1887 novel by H. Rider Haggard.

katy 11-18-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

and a 7500 watt electric heater was placed inside.
I'd suggest putting a temporary ceiling,like a sheet of poly or a tarp, to keep the heat from disappearing into the roof area.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-18-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1953458)
Originally appeared in an 1887 novel by H. Rider Haggard.

It was also used in the Move "She" based on that book, with Ursula Andress. Also has Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Just saw this movie recently, was on late one night on cable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_(1965_film)

Jemelton# 11-18-2020 04:51 PM

Happy wife, happy life, it took me two tries but I finally got a winner!

lake_harley 11-18-2020 10:58 PM

Congrats on your new home-away-from-home! By the photos it looks like the building is built on 4(?) beams/skids that run the length of the building. If you haven't already thought of closing off the ends, or maybe you've done it since the photos were taken, I think "capping" the ends would be good for a number of reasons. I'd think it would be nice to keep small animals from making the space their home, keeping moisture levels down underneath the building and possibly inside, but most of all it seems it would give you better heating results by keeping wind from blowing underneath and offering "insulation" by having the trapped "dead" airspace.

In any case, enjoy your new digs!

Lynn

Dodge 11-19-2020 01:43 AM

We have another saying around here. I got my wife a hat that said “When Mom Ma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy”
When the kids would act up she’d put on that hat, it was great.

1931 flamingo 11-19-2020 09:58 AM

See post # 16.
My 24X24 is also on 4x4's. I got a 4x8 plastic lattice panel (small openings) and cut it into strips and nailed to the ends. Will keep cats, skunks, etc out.
Installer said it needed to be left open for ventilation.
Paul in CT

Jemelton# 11-19-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lake_harley (Post 1953714)
Congrats on your new home-away-from-home! By the photos it looks like the building is built on 4(?) beams/skids that run the length of the building. If you haven't already thought of closing off the ends, or maybe you've done it since the photos were taken, I think "capping" the ends would be good for a number of reasons. I'd think it would be nice to keep small animals from making the space their home, keeping moisture levels down underneath the building and possibly inside, but most of all it seems it would give you better heating results by keeping wind from blowing underneath and offering "insulation" by having the trapped "dead" airspace.

In any case, enjoy your new digs!

Lynn

Great Idea, I will do that!

Since the building is on "skids", I didn't have to get a county building permit. But I will bet that the tax assessors will notice the addition!

77Birdman 11-20-2020 08:33 AM

I would welcome the cats (and im a dog person) to keep the mice under control. Ventilation underneath is not a bad idea, it will keep the rot at bay, but you could install something solid at the perimeter and put in a couple of small screened vents at each end. Then again I have a tight attached garage with good seals at the doors and the mice and squirrels still find their way inside! A good easy ceiling is foil covered foam board that we use to use for ext. sheathing. It cuts easy, light and easy to install, adds a bit of insulation and some reflectivity.