The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stuck engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288940)

Dan 1939 10-20-2020 06:17 AM

Stuck engine

I have an opportunity to get a motor for $200. It is stuck. The carb is off and water ports on heads are open and no dip stick. It’s in a junk yard with the hood covering it. It has Mercury heads and a Ford intake. Can’t say for sure that it is a Merc motor.
What’s the chance the block will be any good? Should I stay away from this.

ponymare 10-20-2020 06:34 AM

Re: Stuck engine

As gramps would say, pick a number from 1 to 100, but it could be usable, if it hasn't if its not full of cracks.

big job 10-20-2020 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
good question: maybe 50/50. any chance the owner would pop the heads to take a look.
about 4yrs ago we went to pick up some goodies out of state. There looking around came upon a engine upside down covered with snow. Rolled it over its complete a EAB too.
the guy says 75 bucks ok. Made short within 20 min back in the shop >No rust No cylinder ridge NO cracks standard bore clean valve galley. popped the oil pan clean, standard crank
I measured rods and mains clearance right there everything very clean. Although we did go with new pistons ground all valves seats it really did not need that but we did. We
then put it in my personal car while we rebuilt my engine. Put maybe 1500 perfectly
running miles on it, my cost around $950 parts, plus the $75 for the engine. so there ya go. luck or maybe just my day thats about time. We also thermo cleaned and blasted the block
and applied Gyptol we do on all builds.

Ggmac 10-20-2020 06:34 PM

In New Jersey, cold winters , cracked block . Just my past experience.

FortyNiner 10-21-2020 04:46 AM

Consider it an investment in amusement. Give it a go and enjoy the journey.

aussie merc 10-21-2020 07:48 AM

lots of guys have paid a lot more for oversized doorstops Roll the dice its ether sevens or snake eyes there would be something you can salvage off it so it wont be a total loss

Bored&Stroked 10-21-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan 1939 (Post 1943349)
I have an opportunity to get a motor for $200. It is stuck. The carb is off and water ports on heads are open and no dip stick. It’s in a junk yard with the hood covering it. It has Mercury heads and a Ford intake. Can’t say for sure that it is a Merc motor.
What’s the chance the block will be any good? Should I stay away from this.

What year engine is it? I'd post some pictures for us to checkout. Usually there is a lot of disassembly and "cussing" needed to get one of these apart. The price isn't exactly a steal - maybe you can pull the intake and the pan before you make a decision? Would be nice to know a bit more about what is in it and how much water is in bad places.

T Scott 10-21-2020 09:18 AM

Pull the oil drain plug. If water comes out offer him fifty bucks.