The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Problem Removing Steering Wheel (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288098)

carguybill 10-03-2020 12:08 PM

Problem Removing Steering Wheel

I need to remove the steering wheel on my '34 to replace the bushing in the steering column with an upgrade bearing.

Before I can remove the wheel I need to remove the lights and horn button assembly and in order to remove that I need to remove the tab at the bottom of the control rod. See photo.

My problem is that I have not been able to remove the tab. I have tried prying on it but without much success and I'm afraid I will damage the cup that surrounds the tab.

I will appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thank you.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/picture.p...ictureid=43117

TJ 10-03-2020 12:19 PM

Re: Problem Removing Steering Wheel

Are you referring to the fork on the bottom of the rod after you have removed the light switch?

DavidG 10-03-2020 01:10 PM

Assuming you are referring to the C-shaped clip that retains the two-prong switch actuator, you might consider sacrificing a cheap screwdriver wide enough to capture the ends of the C and grind or file the center of the screwdriver blade to create a very limited use tool for this purpose.

Terry,OH 10-03-2020 01:16 PM

Near the bottom of the horn rod there is a recess in the recess is a C-clip. The C-clip holds the light switch spider and spring in place. The C-clip has to be removed usually by compressing the spring a little. All the parts have modern replacements, except the rod itself. At the very end of the rod is a plastic insulating insert be careful not to damage the plastic. Once the C-clip is removed the spider and spring will slide off the horn rod.

Kerk 10-03-2020 03:14 PM

Be VERY careful to NOT BEND the light rod AT ALL as if has a bend turning the steering wheel will turn the lights on and of !!! kerk

carguybill 10-03-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry,OH (Post 1937724)
Near the bottom of the horn rod there is a recess in the recess is a C-clip. The C-clip holds the light switch spider and spring in place. The C-clip has to be removed usually by compressing the spring a little. All the parts have modern replacements, except the rod itself. At the very end of the rod is a plastic insulating insert be careful not to damage the plastic. Once the C-clip is removed the spider and spring will slide off the horn rod.

OK, that makes sence. Thank you.

Do I need someone at the steering wheel to keep the light control tight against the steering wheel while I push the light switch spider back to expose the C-clip? Will I then be able to remove the C-clip with needle nose pliers?

Kens 36 10-03-2020 04:09 PM

I use a heavy yardstick under the steering wheel and over the horn button to keep the rod pushed down. Maybe this will help you.

Ken

JSeery 10-03-2020 05:45 PM

Might want to be sure the battery is disconnected during all of this! :)

1931 flamingo 10-04-2020 08:23 AM

Also be careful as that seem to fly around either during removal or installation like the small carb clips ("jesus" clips).
Paul in CT

Bob C 10-04-2020 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture may help.

deuce lover 10-04-2020 11:25 AM

I Just push up on the pronged tip in the pic above post by BobC and the horse shoe clips comes out pretty easy .

glennpm 10-04-2020 11:48 AM

Yes, "the horse shoe clips comes out pretty easy", getting it back in is the fun part ...

DavidG 10-04-2020 12:28 PM

Kens 36's suggestion to use a yard stick across the horn button and underneath the perimeter of the steering wheel is a big help for either removal or installation of the C clip, as is Bob C's helpful illustration of the component parts including the spring that has to be compressed to remove the pressure holding the clip in place.

carguybill 10-11-2020 02:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who shared their experience and knowledge. With your guidance and another pair of hands from my son I finally got the light control shaft removed.

Now my problem is removing the steering wheel itself. I have a decent selection of pullers but I'm concerned that standard pullers will damage the back side of my original '34 steering wheel.

So, here i am again asking for help for ways to pull the steering wheel off of the steering shaft.

glennpm 10-11-2020 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can drill and tap the steering wheel hub, I suggest 5/16"-24, and then use one of these pullers. They're available at any auto parts store and reasonable.

Zeke3 10-11-2020 07:49 PM

I like the idea to use a bearing separator under the steering wheel if you don't have the K.R. Wilson puller.

mercman from oz 01-08-2021 06:18 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1572752873

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1591220769
To remove the steering wheel from your 1934 Ford with ease, you need one of these dedicated Ford Steering Wheel Pullers.

deuce lover 01-08-2021 06:58 AM

What glennpm said works.I have a '33 and did that - now no more issues to remove the steering wheel.

Gregger Rod & Custom 01-23-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennpm (Post 1940556)
You can drill and tap the steering wheel hub, I suggest 5/16"-24, and then use one of these pullers. They're available at any auto parts store and reasonable.

Thanks Glenpm,
that is the solution I needed,
Gregger

glennpm 01-23-2021 03:43 PM

Great its pretty easy, doesn't show and the tool is cheap too. Glad it worked out for you Greg!

Glenn