The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvel Carb fuel line difference (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282584)

rivcokid 06-14-2020 01:53 PM

Marvel Carb fuel line difference

I bought a Marvel carb for my 31 S/W Town sedan and went to put it on today. Lo and behold, the fuel line intake on the carb doesn't match up to the fuel line itself - there is about an inch to an inch and a half difference (that is, the hole on the carb is about an inch away from the end of the fuel line). If it was a little difference I'd play with it but with that much difference, I'm afraid of crimping my fuel line. I don't see any replacement fuel lines specifically for the Marvel carb. So, has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, as always, in advance!

1931 flamingo 06-14-2020 01:55 PM

Re: Marvel Carb fuel line difference

Make a new fuel line.
Cut the one you have and insert a piece of flex fuel line with two clamps.

Paul in CT

wmws 06-14-2020 02:05 PM

I made up a new line from hydraulic brake line. You will need an adapter to the Marvel. Make your bends around a big socket. I really like the Marvel. More power and great idle.

Herb Concord Ca 06-14-2020 02:12 PM

If you didn't get an adapter with your Marvel, Renners Corners. Has them and all sort of Marvel (they call the carb Allstate) parts.

rivcokid 06-14-2020 02:12 PM

Geez - I was led to believe it was a matter of unbolting the Zenith and bolting on the Marvel and you're good to go. I didn't know I'd have to make my own fuel line and get a special adapter - I can make the fuel line but what is the adapter called? Thanks all!

Ak Sourdough 06-14-2020 02:28 PM

When the carbs were sold by Sears (Allstate brand) they probably came with any adapters that were required. This is a good chance to put an inline fuel filter in the horizontal run of the line. 3 minute job, tops.

Bob C 06-14-2020 03:10 PM

Is your old carb a sidebowl? how about a picture.

duke36 06-14-2020 03:12 PM

One solution which also compensates for leaking stock style fuel valves is to put a 1/8" ball valve in the line with brass compression fittings.Cut out a section of the line for the valve and a slight bend of the stock fuel line should line up with the Marvel.

1930artdeco 06-14-2020 03:14 PM

I use the same line as my Zenith. The adapter is due to different intake threads if I remember right.

Mike

rivcokid 06-14-2020 03:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Look at the intake holes (on the right side facing the camera) on both of these carburetors. Notice their relative positions to the flange where the carburetor connects to the intake manifold. Do you see the difference in distance? That's what I'm referring to. The line has to be longer for the Zenith, and is so different that I can't simply jerry-rig the line to fit the Marvel (ie bend it a little). It's too much of a difference.

RB_Nielsen 06-14-2020 04:20 PM

X2 for making your own fuel line from hydraulic brake line. Save your current fuel line for a Zenith backup. Whoever sold you the Marvel should have also provided the brass connector for the fuel line.

chrs1961815 06-14-2020 04:30 PM

I had the same issue which prevented me from experimenting with one. One of these days I will play with it but if it ain't broke, don't fix it : )

Bob C 06-14-2020 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is what you need for the carb .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191871861570

rivcokid 06-14-2020 06:48 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to call Renner's Corner tomorrow and see what they say. I'll let you know what unfolds!

01A 06-14-2020 08:01 PM

I was running a Tillotson when I decided to switch to a Marvel. Like 1930artdeco mentioned I did not have to change the fuel line. I was able to make the fuel line bend. You will need the adapter to match the Marvel fuel input.

Norm M 06-14-2020 09:15 PM

When I installed a Marvel carb, I cut the fuel line and put an inline filter in the middle. This allowed me to easily switch between Zenith, Tillottson and Marvels using the same fuel line and it provided filter protection for the carb.

redmodelt 06-16-2020 09:26 PM

The Eaton and Weatherhead part number is 1513. This is for the 1/4" tube with 1/8NPT male and 1/2-20 Model A female threads.