The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Difficult time getting gas gauge bezel off (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281986)

Tim Ayers 06-02-2020 10:23 AM

Difficult time getting gas gauge bezel off

Hi All:

Like the title states, I'm really having a tough time getting the gas gauge bezel off. I've been soaking it for a week with rust buster and and 50/50 of ATF & Acetone and it's not budging.

The tank as been empty for a very long time and I was thinking of using a plumber's torch to gently heat up the bezel to see if that will break it free.

Any other thoughts on how to free it up? Its a perfect original so I'm trying not to damage it.

** PS- I do have the correct "wrenches" for removing this.

Thanks,

Tim

BRENT in 10-uh-C 06-02-2020 10:34 AM

Re: Difficult time getting gas gauge bezel off

Tim, we have had them come in where we had to use an air hammer with a chisel to remove the outer ring because it was froze. Then you can sometimes use a little air pressure (i.e.: 5#) with the tank ports sealed to help push the gauge away from the seat.

Tim Ayers 06-02-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1894757)
Tim, we have had them come in where we had to use an air hammer with a chisel to remove the outer ring because it was froze. Then you can sometimes use a little air pressure (i.e.: 5#) with the tank ports sealed to help push the gauge away from the seat.

Interesting idea. Thanks,

redmodelt 06-02-2020 12:10 PM

Think about it dude, open flame and gas! Even the vapors from a dry tank...BOOM!!!

1930 coupe 06-02-2020 12:57 PM

I had to use a large pipe wrench one time to get one off.
I had to replace the bezel with a new one after that because the wrench made deep marks in it.

Tim Ayers 06-02-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1894788)
Think about it dude, open flame and gas! Even the vapors from a dry tank...BOOM!!!

That's why I asked. When I say dry, it's been dry and capless for over 25 years.

I'd love to get it off without damage since it's original to the car '28 AR Roadster

redmodelt 06-02-2020 02:30 PM

d:) Even a "dry" tank that old has the potential to go boom.
I have see shots of guys, with helpers (one to push in on the tool and one to turn the cheater bar) that used a long cheater bar on the bezel tool and still had a hard time cracking it loose. If you have the good tools, you stand a chance, if they are those aluminum die cast ones, good luck they barely work on ones that the gauge is not stuck.

Poor;
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../model-a/tools
Better;
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...GAUGE-TOOL-SET

Tim Ayers 06-02-2020 02:52 PM

Thank you. Yep, I've got the cast one. It is a flimsy tool. haha,

john charlton 06-02-2020 03:11 PM

Use the laser cut flat steel one (it does have a kink in it )it does not slip off like the cast aluminium one does .

John in real lovely Model A Ford driving weather but I cant not yet Suffolk County England .

wmws 06-02-2020 04:53 PM

Before putting a flame by that tank pump it full of carbon monoxide from a good old polluting car. No BOOM.

larrys40 06-02-2020 07:10 PM

You can try a heat gun ( no flame!) to heat the outer ring a little. Should be safe as long as tank isn’t leaking fuel. Best if it’s an old tank that hasn’t had fuel in it for a while. fuel weeping at the gauge causes the outer ring to get stuck. A little penetrant can help as well. The original ford 5z gas gauge wrench works best .
Have done many and typically my wrench does the trick .
Larry shepard

updraught 06-02-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1894858)
Thank you. Yep, I've got the cast one. It is a flimsy tool. haha,

If it is a new alloy one it is useless. Use the steel one.

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/fixgasgauge.html

Tim Ayers 06-02-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrys40 (Post 1894930)
You can try a heat gun ( no flame!) to heat the outer ring a little. Should be safe as long as tank isn’t leaking fuel. Best if it’s an old tank that hasn’t had fuel in it for a while. fuel weeping at the gauge causes the outer ring to get stuck. A little penetrant can help as well. The original ford 5z gas gauge wrench works best .
Have done many and typically my wrench does the trick .
Larry shepard

Thank you. I was thinking maybe heat gun too.

Dang. That is a great looking tool. I'd love to get one if anyone has one for sale.

1crosscut 06-02-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1894837)
That's why I asked. When I say dry, it's been dry and capless for over 25 years.

I'd love to get it off without damage since it's original to the car '28 AR Roadster

Dry and capless for that long it isn't going to go boom. Stick your nose in the filler neck and give it a sniff. You'll be able to tell.

Synchro909 06-02-2020 10:33 PM

Those cast aluminium tools are designed to skin knuckles!

ursus 06-02-2020 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1894980)
Those cast aluminium tools are designed to skin knuckles!

They are actually useful for installation but doubtful for removal. My experience is to chisel the bezel off, use the aluminium tool for installation, then throw it away.

Synchro909 06-03-2020 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1894995)
They are actually useful for installation but doubtful for removal. My experience is to chisel the bezel off, use the aluminium tool for installation, then throw it away.

I made my own pair of tools out out steel. I've used them and loaned them lots of times and they are just as good as the first time. Aluminium is NOT the material to use for something like this. Cheap and nasty!

vern hodgson 06-03-2020 08:31 AM

I put a torch on a one gallon gas can, had been sitting in the desert for nigh on to twenty five or more years. Surprise, small boom, cheap lesson learned.

Badpuppy 06-03-2020 09:17 AM

Impact driver would do the trick if there were a 10-point socket for it.

Wouldn't It Be Nice...Drifting and Dreaming...ZZ-Z-Z...