The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Good Spark Plug for a Brumfield 7 to 1 Head (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280610)

HS 05-06-2020 08:37 AM

Good Spark Plug for a Brumfield 7 to 1 Head

I have a Brumfield 7 to 1 Head , I love it! My head has a recessed Plug hole (my fault ). Its really been a GOOD one. However, I have been running a Champion W14 has been on the colder side, any suggestions for a Hoter plug. Champion W16Y, Motorcraft TT10 etc, etc Larry if you are out please jump in.

Thanks in advance
HS

Jim/GA 05-06-2020 09:17 AM

Re: Good Spark Plug for a Brumfield 7 to 1 Head

In the past, Larry has recommended the Autolite 3076 for this head. That's what I use.

Are the W14's fouling? They are roughly the same nominal heat range as the 3076's are.

HS 05-06-2020 09:28 AM

JIm,
Thanks for your Note, Yes The W14's are foulding Big Time!!

Hugh

duke36 05-06-2020 10:04 AM

I've had good success with W18's (Current #518) in a BF 5.9 head

Purdy Swoft 05-06-2020 10:11 AM

Same here Champion W-18

MikeK 05-06-2020 10:11 AM

I also have a Brumfield Super head. My compression ratio is higher than yours, though. About 8:1, my cranking compression is 155-160 psi. The W14's run well in mine. If your head is fouling W14's, even at just 7:1, you may have other issues:

1) Running with a too rich carb. Do you have a lambda meter?
2) Your current cam is a bad match for the head/CR.
3) Dizzy body or ignition system causing a lot of misfire while cruising.
4) Late timing. (With 7:1 or higher you cannot just leave the advance lever alone- you kind of need to think like a vacuum advance as conditions change.)
5) Tired rings. Do a compression check. With 7:1 you should see at least 115 psi.

Note: For those casually reading this string, a Brumfield Super head is a completely different head than the Brum 5.9 head. Plugs that run well in the standard Brumfield will perform differently in the the Super head. It has considerably shallower chambers creating a somewhat different flow pattern, a lowered and re-positioned spark plug, and spark plug gasket seats that are recessed into bored holes well below the top of the head. This last issue makes some plugs nearly impossible to use if the hex is at the gasket face, as there is no room for a socket to get that far down the recessed plug wells. An option is to use 18mm to 14mm reducers and run extended length 14mm plugs. Platinum tipped plugs, anyone?

HS 05-06-2020 10:53 AM

Mike,

Thanks Good stuff! I have a Recessed Spark Plug hole in my 7 to 1. I will do the Compression test and see If every thing is OK? what plug Might to recommend. W 14 not working so gooD It like I a Need a Hoter plug-- I think?

Hugh

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-06-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HS (Post 1884201)
Mike,

Thanks Good stuff! I have a Recessed Spark Plug hole in my 7 to 1. I will do the Compression test and see If every thing is OK? what plug Might to recommend. W 14 not working so gooD It like I a Need a Hoter plug-- I think?

Hugh

Mr. Smith, wouldn't a recessed plug run hotter than one that is located higher in the chamber??

HS 05-06-2020 11:04 AM

Howdy Brent,
Yes sir, One would think?

Hugh

Jim/GA 05-06-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1884177)
I also have a Brumfield Super head. My compression ratio is higher than yours, though. About 8:1, my cranking compression is 155-160 psi. The W14's run well in mine. If your head is fouling W14's, even at just 7:1, you may have other issues:

1) Running with a too rich carb. Do you have a lambda meter?
2) Your current cam is a bad match for the head/CR.
3) Dizzy body or ignition system causing a lot of misfire while cruising.
4) Late timing. (With 7:1 or higher you cannot just leave the advance lever alone- you kind of need to think like a vacuum advance as conditions change.)
5) Tired rings. Do a compression check. With 7:1 you should see at least 115 psi.

Note: For those casually reading this string, a Brumfield Super head is a completely different head than the Brum 5.9 head. Plugs that run well in the standard Brumfield will perform differently in the the Super head. It has considerably shallower chambers creating a somewhat different flow pattern, a lowered and re-positioned spark plug, and spark plug gasket seats that are recessed into bored holes well below the top of the head. This last issue makes some plugs nearly impossible to use if the hex is at the gasket face, as there is no room for a socket to get that far down the recessed plug wells. An option is to use 18mm to 14mm reducers and run extended length 14mm plugs. Platinum tipped plugs, anyone?

I agree, I think I'd look at the carb running too rich. Air filter on it? Flow tested jets?

HS 05-06-2020 01:32 PM

10-4 I don't have a air filter on my Carb, but I do have an old Steel mesh spark arrest

HS