The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mohawk lifts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288613)

ford35lh 10-13-2020 11:35 AM

Mohawk lifts

Do any of you have or have used a Mohawk 2 post lift ???
Pros and cons ???

Looking at their website they build a wide variety of lifts made in USA.

Tony, NY 10-13-2020 12:14 PM

Re: Mohawk lifts

I bought a used A7 (asymmetrical 7000#). It's ok but now I wished I had a 9 or 10k parallel one. You can get some handy attachments for them. Used is the way to go price wise. Total Tool is or was a dealer in Albany area.

rockfla 10-13-2020 12:44 PM

I don't have a "mowhawk" brand but I do have a #9000 two post that I bought used. Its fantastic. IF you are buying it to work on your cars with beyond oil changes then IMO the two post is the way to go.

Pro's for me
brake service

Front end & Steering box adjustments

Tire and Rim service
easier to "potentially" lift body's off of frames with
takes less floor space
More open area to work on the underside of the car with NO Long ramps of a 4 post

con
having to bend/kneel down and set the arm location and length

G.M. 10-13-2020 02:08 PM

I bought 2 over 25 years ago. No problems and still
work good. I bought them out of Miami. G.M.

flathead48 10-13-2020 02:10 PM

I was a sale rep and did business with Mohawk located in Amsterdam, ny for over 20 years, knew the owners and lot of their workers and I can tell you they never cut a corner when it came to their product.. Quality is second to none but pricey.

solidaxle 10-13-2020 03:46 PM

Mohawk makes a quality lift. It would be hard to wear one out. All depends on what kind of deal you are getting.
I have two other brand lifts, ones a four post and the other a two post. Putting the roadster on the two post allows the body to flex and I have a hard time operating the doors in the air. If you have a hard top that would alleviate that problem. The four post works well, I can roll it around when it's lowered with the wheel kit. It helps to have a flat concrete floor without imperfections. Something to think about.

Bored&Stroked 10-13-2020 06:16 PM

I have a 2 post BendPak - Asymmetrical 10,000 lb, 2 post lift. It is a very high quality product, much heavier steel than most of the "copies" that I've seen. I would highly recommend a 2-post lift - makes serious work on a car much easier. Also, you can use it to lift/install engines, work on frames, lift heavy things to put in the bed of a pickup, etc.. I've found all sorts of creative uses for mine - one of the best purchases ever!

Cobra Joe 10-13-2020 06:41 PM

I have 4, two twin post and two four posts, they both have their Pro's and Con's, to me, I prefer the four post. As already said, no kneeling on the ground and locating/adjusting legs to lift and possibly readjusting, plus, if you are going to use it to store two vehicles, the 4-post makes more sense. That said, I have both Challengers and Mohawks and the Mohawk seems far superior IMO>

fordwife 10-13-2020 08:48 PM

I have a bend pak lift and am well satsified with it ' Jay Leno has them in him garage. I don't think he would use or endorse them if they were not top quality.

51504bat 10-13-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordwife (Post 1941376)
I have a bend pak lift and am well satsified with it ' Jay Leno has them in him garage. I don't think he would use or endorse them if they were not top quality.

Damn near every shop in town uses Bend Pak. Most are 2 posts.

Seabees 10-14-2020 04:26 PM

Bought a 2 post Bendpak about 3 months ago. Wish I'd bought about 3 decades ago! $3800 delivered.