The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fan blade (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287036)

mac101 09-11-2020 09:09 AM

Fan blade

1 Attachment(s)
I’m feeling pretty lucky. I replaced my fan blade yesterday.

Patrick L. 09-11-2020 09:50 AM

Re: Fan blade

Run out and buy a lottery ticket !

Lona 09-12-2020 09:09 AM

I like originality but with fan blades, I'll stay with plastic. I too discovered a cracked steel one before it let loose. Aluminum ones are probably ok but they were out of stock at all suppliers when I needed one so I went plastic and am not going back.

Glen

Big hammer 09-12-2020 09:43 AM

Don't use the fan blade to turn the engine! Use a hand crank, if you go to far crank the engine with the hand crank, don't back the engine with the fan blade, oringnal, new, or plastic Period!

Y-Blockhead 09-12-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1930594)
Don't use the fan blade to turn the engine! Use a hand crank, if you go to far crank the engine with the hand crank, don't back the engine with the fan blade, oringnal, new, or plastic Period!

That's one of the reasons I use a wrench.

Bob Bidonde 09-12-2020 12:08 PM

After all of the horror stories regarding fan failures, I am astounded that anyone is running an original Ford fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocket1 09-13-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1930655)
After all of the horror stories regarding fan failures, I am astounded that anyone is running an original Ford fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running an original NOS since 61 gloss black and I inspect frequently,be astounded

GerryAllen 09-13-2020 11:44 AM

Guys, I to am using an original steel fan blade. I am having some engine work done and am having it replaced at that time.
I check the oil and fan blade each time prior to starting the engine. The Model A blade is in fact a propeller design which are subject to failure. If one were to check the Blade with a flash light each time prior to starting the car we would not be hearing these horror stories.
I know there will be people that take exception to what I am saying JMHO
Gerry Birch Bay WA

Chris Haynes 09-13-2020 11:45 AM

I bought one of the new reproductions made of carbon fiber out of New Zealand.

Bob Bidonde 09-14-2020 08:58 AM

Checking an original fan blade for cracks is not assurance that a blade will depart while running the car. Drive with an original fan blade and you are playing Russian Roulette.

Lona 09-15-2020 09:04 AM

Why go through the trouble of checking the fan blade every time you drive the car which may have hairline cracks you can't see when there are other options including a new aluminum or plastic fan? I agree with those who advise.........get rid of the original fan.

Glen

Big hammer 09-15-2020 11:04 AM

Not all of the original fans are made the same! Ford must of known of the cracking problem and in late 31 changed they way they manufactured them. Remember in the late 70's ford's fan blades breaking off and going thru hoods, I had a Mercury and it was missing a blade, no holes anywhere! I asked for a replacement and they didn't have one and not covered under recall, 6 weeks later I installed the new one, then about a year later ford reimburse me for the fan, but not my time.

Charlie Stephens 09-15-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1931060)
I bought one of the new reproductions made of carbon fiber out of New Zealand.

Sounds interesting. How about a link or at least a name?

Charlie Stephens