The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A working Sedan Delivery (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292771)

700rpm 01-10-2021 11:06 AM

A working Sedan Delivery

https://theoldmotor.com/?p=183011

Make ‘em pay for themselves!

If you scroll down that link there are more photos and information.

Licensed to kill 01-10-2021 11:14 AM

Re: A working Sedan Delivery

OK, now THAT is cool. I am doing a '31 DD right now and i have an old 9" south bend, not quite as old as that one but similar. That would have been a great way to finish off mine if I hadn't taken a different path already. Might have to find another DD LOL. Thank you very much for sharing.

ronn 01-10-2021 12:36 PM

with that weight- that A isnt going anywhere fast. Might also need extra suspension......

Synchro909 01-10-2021 04:01 PM

I wouldn't like to be in that car if it hit something solid. Passengers would end up needing their own machining.

Licensed to kill 01-10-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1972501)
with that weight- that A isnt going anywhere fast. Might also need extra suspension......

I don't think it would be that bad. The lathe, bench and tooling in the pic would weigh MAYBE 400 pounds, that just the weight of two guys riding in the back. If a Delivery can't handle the weight of two passengers in the back it isn't much of a delivery.

neds29 01-10-2021 08:17 PM

Note the single taillight in the middle of the bumperettes and below the lathe. Very neat picture.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-11-2021 07:42 AM

This picture has been around for awhile. The chatter before was always is it a salesman sample that was cast much thinner for weight, -or was it a demo that the salesman could unload immediately on the spot?

In Ronn's thought on the weight, if the unit was indeed a lighter weight frame, look at all the weight on the driver's side of the vehicle with those extra chucks, live centers, steady rests, and all the MT tooling.

The question I always wondered is you can see the barrel switch on top of the lathe, but how was the unit powered to give a demo? Plug-in extension cords as we know them today were not all that prevalent in that era, were they? Especially ones capable of powering a ½ horse or larger electric motor??

ronn 01-11-2021 07:50 AM

400 iBS????????????

IS IT MADE OF PLASTIC? ;0

77Birdman 01-11-2021 08:48 AM

I bet the tooling on the side wall weighs more than 400lb!
I suppose they could have rigged up power somehow to pull off of the customers shop whilst making a sales call. Even if it was wired directly into their panel. When my dad would refinish floors the sanders were always 220 and were wired directly to the panel of the house, not like the plug and play that you get at HD now.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-11-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Birdman (Post 1972725)
I bet the tooling on the side wall weighs more than 400lb!
I suppose they could have rigged up power somehow to pull off of the customers shop whilst making a sales call. Even if it was wired directly into their panel. When my dad would refinish floors the sanders were always 220 and were wired directly to the panel of the house, not like the plug and play that you get at HD now.

I am guessing the motor was not 220 volt for the demo. A larger, higher voltage motor would be easy enough to switch out upon a sale.

I guess it is plausible for the salesman to bring 100' of cable to hardwire into the panel if it were going to be 220v powered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1972705)
400 LBS????????????

Ronn, that # is actually fairly close. A benchtop 9" S/B with a 48" bed was about 400 lbs. The extra stuff on the wall is what weighs over 400 pounds.

Licensed to kill 01-11-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1972705)
400 iBS????????????

That's not a very big lathe. Like I said, I have a 9x40 south bend and the lathe itself weighs about 200 pounds. There is no comparison, weight wise to a little SB like that an a bigger lathe with quick change gear boxes an such. My newer 13x40 lathe weighs probably 1200 pounds. Don't know for sure, just know that I can lift the SB, I can even MOVE the other one and had to use m picker to place it. The bigger question in my mmd it how they are hanging those chucks on the wall. I'm doing a '31 DD right now and there is nothing in that wall that would hold those chucks. Of course, the wall board is not factory either so no telling what was done behind those for support.

BrianH 01-12-2021 07:52 PM

With all that weight on the left side you would think the left rear tire would be rubbing the bottom of the fender. Way more than 400#'s in that car.

700rpm 01-12-2021 11:23 PM

I wasn’t thinking about the physics, I just thought it was a neat photo. :(

Licensed to kill 01-13-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1973503)
I wasn’t thinking about the physics, I just thought it was a neat photo. :(

It's a wonderful photo. There's nothing "mystical" about the physics, just some misunderstanding of how much a little South bend like that actually weighs. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the Delivery may come with heavier springs in the back due to the fact that it is a commercial vehicle intended to carry cargo. I know if you put 2 large adults in the back seat of my '31 fordor it squats the car pretty good but that doesn't mean much with an 89 year old car. I have no clue what it would have been like when new. Anyways, great pic and i appreciate you sharing it very much.

Keith R 01-13-2021 10:24 AM

Cool picture. I wonder if any of those still exist.

2935ford 01-13-2021 12:12 PM

Creativity.......we love it!
Wonder what happened to it?