The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model b motor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283768)

dnkcurtis 07-08-2020 08:01 PM

Model b motor

A friend of mine has a 31 pickup with a B motor, he has had it for 7-8 years and it seems to run fine.
Last week he noticed a knock sound near the back of the motor.
He finally dropped the pan thinking loose rod or some thing, only to find the splash pan in the oil pan has scraped strips and the crank lobes show it is hitting this pan.
The splash pan was down in position and not loose inside the oil pan.

Anyone ever run into this and may have a solution??
Thanks
DRC

40 Deluxe 07-08-2020 11:09 PM

Re: Model b motor

Broken crankshaft? It wouldn't be the first engine to keep running with a broken crank!

Jack Shaft 07-09-2020 07:53 AM

Either what 40 said or that crankshaft is as loose as the knob on a shithouse door..Pull a main cap,have a look.

katy 07-09-2020 10:30 AM

For some unbenownst reason a previous owned welded the dipper tray to the oil pan in my '31 CCPU. Maybe it too was loose and rattling around?

dnkcurtis 07-09-2020 10:57 AM

When he pulled the oily pan he said it was snug and all the way down in the oil pan grooves, I’m suggesting that he feel the shims and see if ant are loose; all three lobs are hitting the tray, with The most noticeable scratch’s on the rear lob areA

dnkcurtis 07-09-2020 10:58 AM

I will go there and try to take some pictures
Thanks all

Jim Brierley 07-09-2020 11:02 AM

The sound is very likely caused by loose flywheel bolts, not uncommon on 4 cylinder engines. The crank touching the dipper tray would not make a knocking sound may be the wrong tray? A's came with 2 or 3 different trays over the years, the B tray should have 4 large, maybe ", holes in the top, flat surface, not sure all B's had those?

Bob Bidonde 07-10-2020 09:14 AM

I cannot imagine how the crankshaft is contacting the oil pan. Also, it something is scraping the oil pan, my guess is that it would make a horrible squeal, not a knock. I think Jim Brierley's notion that is a loose flywheel better fits a knocking sound.

My 1931 Coupe has a Model "A" oil pan fitted to a Model "B" engine, and no modifications were made to the dip tray for clearance. The clearance issue is with the larger "B" connecting rods and it occurs at the sides of the oil pan. The Model "A" oil pan must be dented to clear the rods as the Model "B" pan is.

The dip tray in the Model "B" pan is 0.13" lower like the 1931 Model "A" tray. Is the scrape mark on the side of the dip in the tray or on the bottom of the dip?

Licensed to kill 07-10-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1907482)
The sound is very likely caused by loose flywheel bolts, not uncommon on 4 cylinder engines.

How would one go about checking that?. I don't recall, an inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing. Would hate to have to pull the engine just to check for the possibility of loose bolts.

40 Deluxe 07-10-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licensed to kill (Post 1907784)
How would one go about checking that?. I don't recall, an inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing. Would hate to have to pull the engine just to check for the possibility of loose bolts.

Just pull the starter and wiggle the flywheel!

dnkcurtis 07-10-2020 10:49 AM

Thanks for the ideas, pan is on with new gasket and clearing the throws of the crank.
Denny