The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Open car side curtain snap problem solved! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85932)

Arlen 10-12-2012 07:47 PM

Open car side curtain snap problem solved!

Spoke with A&L at Hershey and they are reproducing the side curtain snaps so many of us are in need of. Production is pretty much ready to start and the snaps should be ready by early next year. They will be nickel plated. I got to play with a few prototypes at the swap meet and they work beautifully and look dead on correct. We can all get side curtains made again!

Steve Wastler 10-13-2012 05:29 AM

Re: Open car side curtain snap problem solved!

Hot damn, good news thanks for posting!!!

Arlen 10-13-2012 10:17 PM

They were really fantastic snaps. He said that he would not have made them if he had known how hard they were going to be to produce. Said he understood why nobody else had managed to make them but its all done now. Said the first run would be around 2500. I dont know much about the early Model T guys but would those open cars want to leave the snaps as brass or have them plated nickle as well?

ctlikon0712 10-14-2012 12:09 AM

Are these the same snaps that are original on my 31 station wagon?
Obviously the stud would be different because of the wood thread instead of metal….

Steve Wastler 10-14-2012 05:57 AM

Craig, these are the cinch fasteners with the push button in the middle, that fits in the body sockets of the open cars. There is a posting here from a ways back that I posted a couple of pictures of original used fasteners.

Tom Wesenberg 10-14-2012 06:42 PM

Are both parts being made by A&L? I thought it was the curtain part that was needed by so many. I know I need them for my 1928 Phaeton, as well as the original body sockets.

ctlikon0712 10-14-2012 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, thank you Steve, my cars curtains and fasteners were replaced in the 50's so I have no idea what the original ones should look like. This is what I have now.

SilverGhost 10-15-2012 06:51 AM

Hello Arlen
can you give us order details and price as soon producer is ready to take orders?

best regards
eric

d.j. moordigian 10-15-2012 09:53 AM

Arlen,

Great news...hope 2500 lasts more than 1 day! Thank you for the update.
Now...for the big question!

How many snaps for each style of car?

Dudley

Steve Wastler 10-15-2012 12:21 PM

My 29 roadster takes 6....

Arlen 10-15-2012 05:51 PM

Yes it's the male end of the snap made into the side curtain that A&L is now going to be offering. They didn't mention a price and its still several months before they go on sale but still great news for us open car owners. I think my phaeton takes 12 or 14.