The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First time adjusting rod and mains (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284237)

ricconhan 07-18-2020 02:22 PM

First time adjusting rod and mains

Well Monday we're going to be putting the A on my neighbors two post lift (advice welcome) and pulling pan to check and adjust rods and mains also inspecting conditions of babbitt and crank, checking oil pump and just plain learning where I'm at with my new-to-me A Model. The guy I bought her from only bought it to flip and really doesn't have much info, I called the o'l boy who actually restored the car 30 - 40 years ago, he's now 84 and failing memory so limited info. So if I want to know what I got this is the only way I know. I figure if I go through the process of setting the clearances I will have a starting point for the next 10,000 mile inspection. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcome. Before I get asked or told, "Yes" I've got Les's book.

Bob-A 07-18-2020 03:30 PM

Re: First time adjusting rod and mains

ricconhan,

About the only advice I can give. Is to do a good search on the ...'Barn here
for past threads on your subject. I'll be interested in what you find and info that others give about adjusting the rods/mains. I would like to do the same on my roadsters "B" block. Good Luck!;)

Bob-A:D

Brentwood Bob 07-18-2020 03:37 PM

If you find a buildup in the bottom of the pan that should lead to cleaning out the oil galley behind the valve cover.

Patrick L. 07-18-2020 03:38 PM

Its a good thing to check the clearances and clean up the pan. I prefer to use plastigauge and set all clearances to .0015". I also like both shims to be the same thickness. When checking the mains I put a little up pressure on the crank to keep it tight in the upper bearing half.
You'll probably find the most wear on the center main and a bit lesser on the rear. But I set them all at .0015". The front main may not be worn at all or enough to worry about.
With the rods mind the orientation of the caps. Do one at a time as all the caps [ rods and mains] have to go back to the same they came off of. Don't mix them up.
Make sure there are no rust holes in the dipper tray. The dipper tray can be pried out or popped out. When all back together pour at least qt of oil thru the distributor hole to get oil to the dipper tray and valve chamber.
Check the oil pump for clearance and condition. Usually just flipping the bottom plate is all thats needed.
This is all after the condition of the bearings is found to be good.
You'll probably never have to do this again.

PalAl 07-18-2020 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricconhan (Post 1910534)
Well Monday we're going to be putting the A on my neighbors two post lift (advice welcome) and pulling pan to check and adjust rods and mains also inspecting conditions of babbitt and crank, checking oil pump and just plain learning where I'm at with my new-to-me A Model. The guy I bought her from only bought it to flip and really doesn't have much info, I called the o'l boy who actually restored the car 30 - 40 years ago, he's now 84 and failing memory so limited info. So if I want to know what I got this is the only way I know. I figure if I go through the process of setting the clearances I will have a starting point for the next 10,000 mile inspection. Any and all advice and suggestions are welcome. Before I get asked or told, "Yes" I've got Les's book.

Thought this may help

Jack Shaft 07-18-2020 08:00 PM

One way to do it perform annual inspections,pull the engine annually,put it on a stand and go through it..the quality of work is better than working on it "in frame"..

ricconhan 07-18-2020 09:11 PM

Thanks to you all I'll take any and all advice.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-18-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1910708)
One way to do it perform annual inspections,pull the engine annually,put it on a stand and go through it..the quality of work is better than working on it "in frame"..

If you’re doing bearing adjustment, I would certainly agree with Jack!

Patrick L. 07-19-2020 06:09 AM

Pull the engine every year, stick it on a stand, adjust the bearings ? WOW

You boys have a whole lot of ambition.

JRN1967 07-19-2020 06:29 AM

I don't believe you have access to the rear main cap from the oil pan.

Chris in WNC 07-19-2020 07:03 AM

if the correct bolts were used (locking heads), you can remove the rear main cap with the pan removed.....

Plastiguage is OK for clearance but I like the "go/no go" method using heavy duty aluminum foil spacers. Easier and possibly more accurate.....

Patrick L. 07-19-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRN1967 (Post 1910836)

The is enough room.

Patrick L. 07-19-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in WNC (Post 1910851)
if the correct bolts were used (locking heads), you can remove the rear main cap with the pan removed.....

Plastiguage is OK for clearance but I like the "go/no go" method using heavy duty aluminum foil spacers. Easier and possibly more accurate.....

Aluminum foil method is more accurate ?????

I can't wait to hear about that.

Licensed to kill 07-19-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1910708)

Been reading this post over and over and am still unsure if you are serious or being facetious. I know that pulling the motor is a relatively simple and quick process but to pull it ANNUALLY to perform an inspection??. I seriously doubt (but don't actually KNOW) that this was a common practice back in the day when these were peoples everyday daily driver and they seen more miles in much ore varied conditions (IE extreme cold) than the vast majority of Model A's today. Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with pulling the engine annually to inspect if that's what you want to do. You could pull it and inspect on the stand it at each oil change if you wish. One plus is that, should you develop an issue that requites the engine be removed and torn down, everything will come apart easily.

Licensed to kill 07-19-2020 08:58 AM

FWIW, this is the method that I am using on my car. Not a recommendation, just sharing another way that, to my way of thinking makes sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MH3HtTnshQ

JRN1967 07-19-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1910881)
The is enough room.

I stand corrected, thanks

Licensed to kill 07-19-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRN1967 (Post 1910836)

The problem (for me) is that, while I can get the cap off and on, I can't get my torque wrench in there to torque it down to spec so I just have to make it TIGHT.

katy 07-19-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

The problem (for me) is that, while I can get the cap off and on, I can't get my torque wrench in there to torque it down to spec so I just have to make it TIGHT.
As long as TIGHT equals about 60 ft lb's or better you should be OK. Les Andrews book calls for 80 ft lbs but methinks that's a bit overmuch.

Jack Shaft 07-19-2020 03:02 PM

Lay on your back with oil dripping in your eyes trying to precisely set a main bearing doesn't necessarily give good results.nor does it lend itself to a leak free oil pan.Torquing is a pain too.its fairly easy to pull the engine especially if you use some sense,like installing decent connectors in the headlight harness.One caveat,I enjoy maintaining the car as much as driving it..On an annual everything gets checked,leaks fixed,improvements made...

https://i.imgur.com/ObXJfUH.jpg?1

full disclosure,I push mine pretty hard too

Synchro909 07-19-2020 06:58 PM

I don't use Plastiguage any more after I found I was getting too many unreliable readings when the engine was in the car. That was mostly due to my technique. The weight of the crankshaft gave false (tight) readings. When the engine is out and upside down, fine but not in the car.
The aluminium foil my wife uses is 0.0005" thick so 3 layers is just right. I also like a piece of newspaper (if you can get it these days) but that technique is slightly different. Examination of the paper after tightening the bearing cap tells me a lot about the clearance - too tight/too loose. I'll explain that later if anyone wants to know.
With all bearings backed off, the motor turns very easily (spark plugs out). I put 4 layers in the bearing, tighten and try turning the crank. It should be too tight. When I put 3 layers in and it turns with a little drag, I'm happy. If the crank still turns easily, the Bearing is worn so take out a shim and repeat till you feel a drag with 3 layers. Once you get that bearing right back it off and move to the next. Don't be impatient and do only one bearing at a time. Doing all 7 bearings properly takes time.