The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ignition Coils (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210885)

First Street Ignition 12-14-2016 03:07 PM

Ignition Coils

I have been checking with several manufacturers over the last year or two, and they all gave me the same answer. You can stand a coil with the coil wire tower
up or sideways, but not pointed down. If the tower is pointed down the primary winding's are not covered in oil that is used to transfer heat, and act as a dielectric insulation between winding's. Due to smaller wire gauge the primary winding's are a lot smaller coil than they used to be and set at the bottom of the coil canister. I cannot speak to the epoxy coils i do not know how full they run them. The oil filled coils expand a great deal and must have head space. maybe not on the epoxy.
Safety: If you desire to look for yourself remember the transformer oil may contain dioxin a bad substance. read the MSDS Sheet on it.
Your Comments Please.

mshmodela 12-14-2016 03:50 PM

Re: Ignition Coils

I suspect what you mentioned from the coil OEMs are true.. I have an epoxy coil but have yet to install it for the very reason you mentioned.

CarlG 12-14-2016 03:54 PM

So, the coils that you supply with the FSI Zipper should be mounted with the coil wire tower pointed up?

First Street Ignition 12-14-2016 04:06 PM

That is what I understand. We have extended our wires both coil and primary wiring so it will work either way.
This took me by surprise, after dealing with the old coils with heavier wiring I did not even think about this.
Brent mentioned in a different post most manufacturers have had to lower quality to meet the low prices we think we want. If you buy low price, don't look at it too close.

Synchro909 12-14-2016 04:16 PM

After I had to replace the 5th coil on my '29 Phaeton in 40,000 miles, I did some investigating too. I found the same thing as Mel describes. I have a friend whose business it is to supply Model A parts and repair them. He confirmed that he has turned over the coil in all of his cars and not had a problem since. I did my 3 cars and am expecting I'll have no more trouble. I had to extend the wire to the coil and put in a longer HT lead to the distributor. Very simple and should prevent those unscheduled stops on the side of he road.

ursus 12-14-2016 04:35 PM

The oil filled coils seem to be a recent development as all the coils I have used previous to 2000 or so were mounted with the electrodes down and the few I opened up were filled with some kind of heavy tar-like substance. Is it safe to assume that a coil is epoxy filled if it doesn't make that gurgling sound common to oil filled coils?

First Street Ignition 12-14-2016 04:53 PM

Don't be offended if I don't reply to questions for about 5 weeks. I am going to go in for a valve job (heart surgery) Friday. Dr said "no nothing for awhile"

tbirdtbird 12-14-2016 05:14 PM

good luck, Mel, we'll be thinking of you and praying

Mitch//pa 12-14-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 1399588)
good luck, Mel, we'll be thinking of you and praying

Times 2

jax55 12-14-2016 06:30 PM

Makes that three! Best of luck and we look forward to your return.

Synchro909 12-15-2016 12:34 AM

Hope that valve job ' Sparks you up".:D:D:D:D