The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   For entertainment purposes only (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140605)

gpits68 05-26-2014 07:10 PM

For entertainment purposes only

Our club just finished a 500 mile round trip 4 day tour . Driving through the big cities through fast traffic was a little nerve racking at times . I was driving a 31 Blindback and trying to maneuver in traffic and you soon realize that the name Blindback is very appropriate . Has anyone added a rearview mirror on the right side and does it do any good (or is it for entertainment purposes only ).

1930artdeco 05-26-2014 07:27 PM

Re: For entertainment purposes only

Sorry not a Blindback but, I use one on my TS to see the retaining wall next to the driveway when I back down.

Mike

1931 flamingo 05-26-2014 07:31 PM

Todor sedan, have to have the mirror>
Paul in CT Hinge type, avail from any vendor.

quickchange 05-26-2014 07:35 PM

All our LHD A,s here must run a left & right mirror , My 130 A is LHD with very limited visablity but with mirrors both sides no problem, Winter is here in NZ

CarlG 05-26-2014 08:06 PM

Pickup's just HAVE TO HAVE a RH Mirror!

glenn in camino 05-26-2014 08:08 PM

You think yours is blind back, my tour car is a deluxe delivery, it's really blind. But I have a 5" hinge mirror on the driver's side and a 5" convex hinge mirror on the passenger side. Not perfect but they work pretty well.

Mike V. Florida 05-26-2014 10:58 PM

'30 Town sedan mirrors on both sides.

KenCoupe 05-26-2014 11:05 PM

31 Coupe with mirrors on both sides. It does help with lane changes and knowing what is around you.

roccaas 05-27-2014 05:04 AM

Try a Cabriolet with the Top up (or any Sports Coupe). Ford-we invented Blind spots.

Imagine that prototype 3 window Coupe Model A with suicide doors. 4 square feet of metal behind your right shoulder.

I taped one of those big trucker blindside (round) mirrors over the right mirror on the Cabriolet. It comes off easily, but without it, I don't dare try the left lane even in city traffic!

springerpete 05-27-2014 05:37 AM

I put one on my 29 roadster. It screws into the windshield post. I found myself looking to the right all the time just like I do in my '07 Focus wagon so I put something there to look into !

Clem Clement 05-27-2014 03:01 PM

try a stick on concave mirror on the inside of your windshield

gpits68 05-27-2014 07:35 PM

Thanks for all of your input .I will add the right mirror . It is very much needed .

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-28-2014 01:22 PM

In my old Datsun P.U, I had a full width mirror, composed of a lot of little mirrors, mounted in place of the inside mirror. Wonder if they're still available & IF they would work on A Model A?? WORST car I had for backing up was a '41 Ford Convertible!!--Bill W.

eagle 05-28-2014 08:21 PM

I have a blindback. I got it with an old clamp-on left side mirror only. Took that off and put on the hinge mirrors on both sides. I'm used of mirrors on my work vehicle so don't think anything of using them on my A. They work well, less vibration than the clamp-on mirror too.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-29-2014 12:15 AM

Chief taught me the fine art of backing up, using mirrors only----He sed, "Mirrors don't lie"!------Years later, he had to correct himself, when those dang CONVEX mirrors came on the scene! Speaking of mirrors, I just SCARED myself, looked in the BIG mirror, & forgot that I shaved OFF my mustache & beard this morning! "Maybe" thet's why Shirley DIDN'T wave at me today??----Bill W.