The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wards Spark Plugs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212927)

Y-Blockhead 01-17-2017 03:39 PM

Wards Spark Plugs

2 Attachment(s)
A couple weeks back I mentioned that a club member gave me a "spare" engine. It had these interesting Wards spark plugs in it. I think they look pretty bitchen. Compare to Champion W18. Does anyone know what a Wards Supreme Quality #8 would compare to, heat range wise? Thanks

Flathead 01-17-2017 03:44 PM

Re: Wards Spark Plugs

Those somewhat similar to the original Champions, I wonder who made the plugs for Wards?

Y-Blockhead 01-17-2017 04:21 PM

While researching them on the net I did see a reference to "Riverside" but I never heard of that company.

ursus 01-17-2017 04:44 PM

Riverside was the name that Wards used for its own brand of automotive parts and accessories, all well made stuff, and often sourced from brand name manufacturers. I am still running a set of Wards Riverside tires that I purchased in 1980 and installed in 1992. They have 25,000 miles and still look very good. I have a set of Riverside tubes purchased 30 years ago that are in the original boxes and appear to be in excellent shape.

Tom Wesenberg 01-17-2017 06:28 PM

Will the spark plug straps be long enough, since the tops will be lower than Champions?

Benson 01-17-2017 07:04 PM

FYI:

If anyone finds plug straps too short ... Berts sells the short ones and the long ones.

www.modelastore.com

J Franklin 01-17-2017 07:20 PM

Those were probably champion 3X labeled for Monty Wards

zzlegend 01-17-2017 07:24 PM

Wish I would have kept my Wards Riverside motorcycle. I did keep a couple of catalogs.

Y-Blockhead 01-17-2017 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flathead (Post 1415409)
Those somewhat similar to the original Champions, I wonder who made the plugs for Wards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1415518)
Those were probably champion 3X labeled for Monty Wards

Didn't even think to compare them but your right. They do resemble the 3X (middle)..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1415497)
Will the spark plug straps be long enough, since the tops will be lower than Champions?

Good point. I don't think there will be a problem, I have 3Xs in my Town Sedan right now and they are shorter than the W18's also.

40 Deluxe 01-18-2017 12:07 AM

The major plug companies' catalogs used to have interchange charts for many of these 'private label' brands. You should be able to find one from the '50's, 60's or '70's.

Chuck Sea/Tac 01-18-2017 01:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1415436)
Riverside was the name that Wards used for its own brand of automotive parts and accessories, all well made stuff, and often sourced from brand name manufacturers. I am still running a set of Wards Riverside tires that I purchased in 1980 and installed in 1992. They have 25,000 miles and still look very good. I have a set of Riverside tubes purchased 30 years ago that are in the original boxes and appear to be in excellent shape.

Here's a riverside tire that went boom in the sun

KGBnut 01-18-2017 09:46 AM

My 1930 Coupe had three brand new Wards Riverside tires on it when I bought it. The previous owner must have parked it and never touched it when he got home from having them installed because the tires still had the "hair" on them.

I made the mistake of driving on them. I wish I had taken them off and saved them. What are the odds of see those tires in brand new condition? Also, because they were nearly 50 years old, they were hard and wore out quickly.

I never did figure out why it only had three. The fourth was also like new, but it was a Goodyear.

Sorry to get so far off track, I think that your spark plugs are pretty cool. I would love to have a set like that.

Ken

C26Pinelake 01-18-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1415407)
A couple weeks back I mentioned that a club member gave me a "spare" engine. It had these interesting Wards spark plugs in it. I think they look pretty bitchen. Compare to Champion W18. Does anyone know what a Wards Supreme Quality #8 would compare to, heat range wise? Thanks

Please explain why it was " Bitchen " ? Wayne

Ruth 01-18-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C26Pinelake (Post 1415729)
Please explain why it was " Bitchen " ? Wayne

Sorry Wayne. "Bitchen" is an old surfer word meaning neat or awesome. :p Like "That was a bitchen wave.

C26Pinelake 01-18-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1415738)
Sorry Wayne. "Bitchen" is an old surfer word meaning neat or awesome. :p Like "That was a bitchen wave.

Thanks, have used bitchen before but never to describe any car part. I wondered if I had missed something. Wayne

katy 01-18-2017 12:11 PM

My Dad used to say quit your bitchen, other times he said quit your bellyaching.

31 Model A 01-18-2017 02:17 PM

For anyone not from the 60s in USA or missed American Graffiti :

Debbie Dunham: Is that tuck and roll?
Terry Fields: Yeah!
Debbie Dunham: That's bitchin' tuck and roll! You know, I really love the feel of tuck and roll upholstery.
Terry Fields: You do?
Debbie Dunham: Yeah.
Terry Fields: Yeah? Well, get in and I'll let you feel it... I mean, you know, you can touch it... uh... I'll let you feel the upholstery.
Debbie Dunham: Okay.

Jeff/Illinois 01-18-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursus (Post 1415436)

I had Riverside tires and tubes on the Tudor. Great quality wish they were still around. Plus they looked great.

The tires they made in the '30's were a different tread design than what we saw in the 60's-70's. Still a good looking tire.

Jeff/Illinois 01-18-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1415640)
Here's a riverside tire that went boom in the sun

Never saw one do that before.

V4F 01-19-2017 09:39 AM

I think they must be collectors items by now