The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   '28 Phaeton is reborn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272062)

Mikko_ 11-02-2019 03:40 PM

'28 Phaeton is reborn

4 Attachment(s)
Some pictures of my Phaeton.
Originally built in May '28 and now, 91 years later being built again.

Factory colors were gunmetal blue and dark dawn grey, now it's mostly rust colored even if some spots still show original color.

If someone has pictures of a Phaeton in those colors I would love to see them.:)

Chuck Dempsey 11-02-2019 03:59 PM

Re: '28 Phaeton is reborn

Looks good! What's that darker yellow roadster beside it?

Mikko_ 11-02-2019 04:12 PM

The darker yellow roadster seen in two of the pictures is a coachbuilt Volvo convertible from the 1950's, very unique car.

And the lighter yellow one is an Amilcar from the 1920's (so is the cigarshaped thing seen in bare metal in one of the photos), made in France and they were apparently a popular car for racing back in the day.
Powered by small flathead 4-cylinder engines.

henry's 31 11-02-2019 04:23 PM

All of them very cool. Please continue to post photos of your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Mikko_ 11-02-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry's 31 (Post 1816932)
All of them very cool. Please continue to post photos of your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Sadly only the Phaeton is mine though.
The guy who sold me the Phaeton is helping me put the body back together and he restores vintage cars for a living, the pictures are taken at his shop and the other cars belong to his customers.

I will post photos of the progress if you guys wanna see it, but beware, it's not gonna be reborn as a car that just rolled of the factory floor.
Plan is lowered, fenderless, 1932 wire wheels and Model B 4-banger and trans.
But long term plan is to atleast paint the body in the original colors.

With that said, I really appreciate cars that are in stock configuration too.
Actually I already feel the itch for either a stock Model A Coupe or 30-31 Pickup.
Good thing I'm only 27 years old so I got time to follow my dreams I guess.:rolleyes:

Chuck Dempsey 11-02-2019 06:48 PM

Sounds good! Follow those dreams.....

Mikko_ 11-09-2019 07:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the 1932 wheels sandblasted, then a few coats of rust preventing primer and also got started on the topcoat but ran out of paint.

And tomorrow I got some more work on the body and frame scheduled.

Mulletwagon 11-09-2019 09:16 AM

Mikko,
Great pictures. At 70 I wish I was 27 again - but know what I know now LOL.
Good Luck on your resto.

Mikko_ 11-13-2019 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A rough mockup with the cowl and radiator in place, looks like a car now.

Mike Peters 11-14-2019 08:01 AM

Since you are at the bare frame stage, if you haven't already done so, stretch a string across both frame rails to check for straightness. Frame sag is common. Doors and hood will fit much better with a straight frame. There are several good previous threads dealing with frame straightening.

Mikko_ 11-14-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Peters (Post 1821076)
Since you are at the bare frame stage, if you haven't already done so, stretch a string across both frame rails to check for straightness. Frame sag is common. Doors and hood will fit much better with a straight frame. There are several good previous threads dealing with frame straightening.

Good tip.:)

I'm lucky enough to have a experienced Model A-restorer helping me put this body together and the frame is already checked and very straight.

Mikko_ 12-23-2019 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No major updates on the car but I got the wheels done and new tires mounted.

Joshua30A 01-02-2020 02:12 AM

By any chance would you have detailed photos of where the body is mounded to the sub-frame? I’m restoring a phaeton with very little of its sub-frame left and I’m going to have to replace it. Also I’m need of photos of the rear dog leg and wheel well, mine is in poor shape. If you happen to have any extra photos or could take some it would be greatly appreciated and help a lot!
Thanks!
Joshua

Mikko_ 01-07-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua30A (Post 1837135)
By any chance would you have detailed photos of where the body is mounded to the sub-frame? I’m restoring a phaeton with very little of its sub-frame left and I’m going to have to replace it. Also I’m need of photos of the rear dog leg and wheel well, mine is in poor shape. If you happen to have any extra photos or could take some it would be greatly appreciated and help a lot!
Thanks!
Joshua

Sadly I don't have any photos of what you're looking for.
And the car is currently at a friends shop about 70 miles away from where I live so can't run out and take some either.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful at the moment.:o

Mike Peters 01-07-2020 05:45 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here's a few photos of a rough ebay Phaeton. These were very helpful when I was putting our 28 together from pieces.

Joshua30A 01-11-2020 03:08 AM

No worries, I’m a long way before I really dig into the body work anyway. Rebuilding the chassis now. I enjoy seeing your pictures of your progress, keep up the good work!

Joshua30A 01-11-2020 03:09 AM

Mike Peters, thanks for the photos they will definitely help!

Mikko_ 02-08-2020 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the steering box and column apart and refreshened.
Going with the newer 2-tooth box instead of the original one.

Mikko_ 04-20-2020 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Slow going but front end is pretty much together.