The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best way to install fender welting? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221521)

Fibber Mcgee 05-26-2017 04:31 PM

Best way to install fender welting?

I received my fender welting today from Roy Nacewicz (the good stuff). Is there a proper or best way to install? Do you need to cut slits for the curves and drill or punch the holes? The stuff I removed was the pvc junk and it was butchered.

51 MERC-CT 05-26-2017 04:46 PM

Re: Best way to install fender welting?

All the ones that I did including the stainless steel 'dress up' ones, I never drilled or punched holes.
Where each hole went I cut a suitable 'U' notch for the bolt locations and did 'V' and slice where required.
The holes were located with the fender off generally and then the welt was slipped in after the bolts were installed.
But that's up to personal preference.

mountstimothy0 05-26-2017 04:54 PM

What about the ends? Would you fold them over or simply cut them off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

51 MERC-CT 05-26-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountstimothy0 (Post 1477859)
What about the ends? Would you fold them over or simply cut them off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

That's where the slicing comes in.
Slice the flat as required to bend the bead and overlap the flats.

Ken/Alabama 05-26-2017 06:29 PM

I always punch the holes with a hole punch. The fender bolts are 5/16 but I use a 3/8 punch, it gives a little wiggle room. At the ends I take a razor and cut the stitching back then cut the core then fold the sleeve at the end of the fender. On the curves you will need to make V cuts. I hate to see cars when they get to the bottom of the fender and the Welting is just cut straight off exposing the ends. But that's just me.

Willit Stop 05-26-2017 07:21 PM

If you have a problem getting a snug fit,you can use masking tape about every 6 inches or so on the flap and pull the tape down as you go.
Cold beer and a radio helps too.

fordor41 05-26-2017 10:20 PM

I glue(contact cement) the welting to the body after punching the holes. that way I can pull it tight, hole to hole. strip the welting back as above, fold the end over and glue. Then install the smallest pop rivet I can find to keep the ends in place. some welting tends to shrink in time and the rivet holds it real good.

Fibber Mcgee 05-27-2017 02:48 PM

Good information, thanks, looks like I have my weekend project now.

ms fowler 05-24-2022 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willit Stop (Post 1477920)
If you have a problem getting a snug fit,you can use masking tape about every 6 inches or so on the flap and pull the tape down as you go.
Cold beer and a radio helps too.

I see another "brother from a different mother"
"Cold beer and a radio", indeed! If only my Orioles were worth listening to on that radio.....instead, it'll have to be "oldies radio" even though its not quite old enough. West Coast IPA is great; not everything in life is meant to be sweet--enjoy the bitter, too.

19Fordy 05-24-2022 12:06 PM

With the fenders and bolts installed loosely,cut V-notches in the welting and slip it in and down into position. Then go back and snug up each fender bolt as needed.
Cut and fold over the webbing flange so it is held in place between the body and the fender.

rotorwrench 05-25-2022 07:32 AM

Commenting on old threads with no questions can be confusing. Some of the original folks that posted may not even be around anymore.

nelsb01 05-25-2022 08:10 AM

Since this thread was re-started..............
Did anyone ever notice the small holes along the fender edge where the welting goes? These holes are about 1/16 dia.
I believe I heard it from a very knowledgeable man -- but those holes were where the welting was nailed on to the fender.
Think about this..... you and I wlll spend hours getting our fender welting installed -- but how long did it take on the original assembly line?

19Fordy 05-25-2022 09:21 AM

A Google Search provides lots of information on several techniques used to install fender welting:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

19Fordy 05-25-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelsb01 (Post 2132687)
Since this thread was re-started..............
Did anyone ever notice the small holes along the fender edge where the welting goes? These holes are about 1/16 dia.
I believe I heard it from a very knowledgeable man -- but those holes were where the welting was nailed on to the fender.
Think about this..... you and I wlll spend hours getting our fender welting installed -- but how long did it take on the original assembly line?

nelsbno1: I never noticed any 1/16 in. holes along the fender edge of a 1940 Ford and would be very surprised if Henry Ford took the time to have a worker
manually "nailing" fender welt to a fender. It's too time consuming and labor intensive. More info. to verify what was told to you by a very knowledgaeable man would be great.

When I removed the original factory fender welting from my 40 Ford in 1972 I don't recall there being any nails holding it in place.

nelsb01 05-25-2022 09:38 AM

Time wise.......it would allow fender attachment and fender welting to be almost a single step process. No pulling on the welting to get it placed correctly. Think about it -- if the welting was attached at fender assembly, the process would be faster. Like I said, when we attach fenders, we spend hours aligning and fitting -- not so during Ford assembly.

That knowledgeable man has left us and it was too soon -- so going back to get more informantion is not possible.

19Fordy 05-25-2022 10:12 AM

Thanks for the reply about the welting. Sorry to hear the gentleman has passed. I am sure he was a wealth of knowledge from life's experience. Just imagine the amount of knowledge about our hobby that just fades away because it's not recorded.

nelsb01 05-25-2022 10:25 AM

I totally agree -- some of the best people have left us with many more questions to ask.
Always thought that if I ever got asked "If you could go back in time, where and when would it be?" I know that Ford in Dearborn would be one of my choices.

Kube 05-25-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelsb01 (Post 2132698)
Time wise.......it would allow fender attachment and fender welting to be almost a single step process. No pulling on the welting to get it placed correctly. Think about it -- if the welting was attached at fender assembly, the process would be faster. Like I said, when we attach fenders, we spend hours aligning and fitting -- not so during Ford assembly.

That knowledgeable man has left us and it was too soon -- so going back to get more informantion is not possible.

I can't speak to any years other than '39 and '40. In those years, depending on model and placement, some pieces of the welt were in fact nailed to the sheet metal and in others, they were stapled.
When judging, I look for this in some areas.

You are correct in your assumption that this was done for efficiency (IE cost savings). The process was rather quick. The holes you'd mentioned were created during the process. Thus, no "alignment" for a workman.

Ben38 05-25-2022 01:39 PM

When I took my car apart 40+ years ago, the fender welt was attached with spiral shank nails. I remember wondering how they drove the nails through the metal

19Fordy 05-25-2022 02:31 PM

OOPS! I just learned something new about welting.
Thank you all for posting.
JIM