The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Waterpump no fit, (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318621)

quickchange 09-24-2022 07:23 PM

Waterpump no fit,

Struck a curly one today , Friend imported a late 31 coupe ex Texas,came with high back seats & part of air con unit in the trunk, no problem removed them in preparation to getting it complied in NZ, We fitted Mitchell trans, overdrive, Engine is a diamond B with the short water pump , Fitted a 6.1 snyder head & went to put the new A water pump on , However it touches the radiator, Checked all measurements, cowl to fire wall etc, engine mounts etc only to find the gap from the A head to radiator is an 1 " too small ,compared too other 30- 31 ones here, Bit of head scratching, few choice words, re checked length of pump etc , Turns out this has a thicker core by at least an 1" no way will stock A pump & fan fit, :mad: So its either a new radiator, or fit the old B head & 34 short water pump back on , Guess previous owner fitted a truck radiator as it gets hot in Texas ,But hotter in AZ ??

Any better solutions out there ??? or struck this problem before, ??? Least its spring time in NZ, Thanks

rotorwrench 09-24-2022 07:36 PM

Re: Waterpump no fit,

Putting a B motor in an A takes a bit of work due to the oil pan and flywheel housing differences. I'd have to ask how that all was handled? Certain ways of mounting might affect engine location.

Ray in La Mesa 09-24-2022 08:18 PM

The thicker core is probably for an AA truck.

midgetracer 09-24-2022 10:20 PM

I agree with Ray. I have a 30-31 truck radiator and it is about 1/2 inch thicker than a car radiator. Truck shell is thicker as well. I can take measurements if you like.

verdirick 09-24-2022 11:40 PM

Derek: I ran across this problem with a water pump from one of our US Vendors. The shaft is too long. NOT Sure who made it, looked ok but shaft was too long....

quickchange 09-25-2022 03:48 AM

checked water pump length, with two blade fan against 3 others ,can,t be any shorter or fan won,t seat on taper, plus fan would rub on housing, , decision is the radiator is too thick ,for a car shell, so going to fit an original one , just more work ,

Bob C 09-25-2022 09:57 AM

The AA radiator is thicker towards the front so should affect the fan clearance.

Charlie Stephens 09-25-2022 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 2168972)
Struck a curly one today , Friend imported a late 31 coupe ex Texas,came with high back seats & part of air con unit in the trunk, no problem removed them in preparation to getting it complied in NZ, We fitted Mitchell trans, overdrive, Engine is a diamond B with the short water pump , Fitted a 6.1 snyder head & went to put the new A water pump on , However it touches the radiator, Checked all measurements, cowl to fire wall etc, engine mounts etc only to find the gap from the A head to radiator is an 1 " too small ,compared too other 30- 31 ones here, Bit of head scratching, few choice words, re checked length of pump etc , Turns out this has a thicker core by at least an 1" no way will stock A pump & fan fit, :mad: So its either a new radiator, or fit the old B head & 34 short water pump back on , Guess previous owner fitted a truck radiator as it gets hot in Texas ,But hotter in AZ ??

Any better solutions out there ??? or struck this problem before, ??? Least its spring time in NZ, Thanks

Remember the shorted pump requires a different timing cover to move the generator back and a different front pulley.

Charlie Stephens