The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Leaking Head Studs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337117)

91A-77B 03-27-2024 10:57 AM

Leaking Head Studs

I recently had my 59A completely rebuilt. Block was baked, magnafluxed, etc. When I first fired it up, several of the head studs were dripping coolant. After running, I re-torqued the heads (vintage Navarros with dead-flat decks) 3 times @ 45#. I now have 3 that keep on dripping after about a total of one hour running. Questions: is this normal? Should I keep running it and hope they'll somehow seal themselves up? Should I pull the studs and re-seal? Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Kube 03-27-2024 11:01 AM

Re: Leaking Head Studs

Was there any type of thread sealant applied to the studs when installing them to the block?
I believe most of us apply our favorite sealant in that area.

Usually, the small leaks will stop on their own. If not, adding a block sealant that remains in motion (unless needed in a specific area) will most certainly do the trick.
I have used Alumaseal, an aluminum-based powder, with very good results.

richard crow 03-27-2024 11:14 AM

when the warm weather comes run the car on water in rad. they will stop

deuce_roadster 03-27-2024 12:31 PM

What Kube said x2.

Ronnieroadster 03-27-2024 02:35 PM

Sodium Silicate will seal them perfectly as well AKA Water Glass once the water temp reaches 140 degrees.
Ronnieroadster

v8fordman 03-27-2024 08:32 PM

Thread sealer would have solved the problem but most likely after a few heat cycles, it will stop as Kube stated.

91A-77B 03-30-2024 06:49 AM

Thanks for your advice, guys. I drained the coolant and refilled with distilled water, then put in a bottle of 2-part Rislone Cooling System Repair, and ran it for about 15 minutes. In all the books I've read, and rebuilders I've talked to, I never heard of leaking studs. And thanks to CharlieNY for explaining why it happens.

Shoebox 03-30-2024 10:48 AM

"I drained the coolant and refilled with distilled water, then put in a bottle of 2-part Rislone Cooling System Repair, and ran it for about 15 minutes."

So, are we to assume this fixed your issue, just asking?

91A-77B 03-30-2024 01:18 PM

Hope so, Shoebox. A bit early to say. I'll run it a few more times before inserting it into my 37, and report back to you guys who were good enough to send your suggestions.

Bored&Stroked 03-30-2024 04:40 PM

I use a water-glass type product as Ronnie mentioned. I buy Moroso Ceramic-Seal . . . getting it from Jegs. You must follow the instructions and use clean water. If your engine already has anti-freeze, then you'll need to go back to straight water - and I'd "rinse it through" a couple times - before using the ceramic seal. Also, drain the ceramic seal as they recommend - right after you get done with the running of the engine.

alchemy 03-31-2024 10:29 AM

Many references to guys retapping the stud holes to “clean” them when rebuilding engines. But the holes are built with a tighter tolerance than the taps used, and are as such opened up too much. A source of this weeping.

91A-77B 04-03-2024 05:35 PM

Tanks again, all. I'll give the Rislone a while to do its thing. That failing, I'll follow other suggestions you've made.