The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine Won't Fit (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219567)

Dave1931Pickup 04-25-2017 04:05 PM

Engine Won't Fit

Hi Guys
This will probably sound real stupid but last Sunday was the big day to install my my engine in the frame, but it would not fit. A little background history. The engine was removed from my 1931 Closed Cab Pickup in 1966 for the start of the restoration process. So now after fifty plus years I have totally rebuilt it. (life got in the way for a little while) The frame has been gone through and everything straightened, repaired and powder coated. In '66 a NOS front crossmember was purchased from Little Dearborn in Minneapolis and riveted in.
Here is the problem. The front engine mount yoke stud is pushed all the way forward in the crossmember hole that it goes through. The rear flywheel housing bolt holes that mate with the frame engine mounts are more than half of a hole too far back in relation with the frame mounts. The frame mounts have new rubber motor mount pads purchased from Brattons. The frame is bare of any other parts and sitting on jack stands on the floor.
Other than the early solid mount front crossmember, which I don't have, was there any other front crossmember used? My memory(what's left of it) tells me that the new crossmember was the same as the old one. Or was it? I don't remember.
Ideas please. Thanks ,Dave

Jacksonlll 04-25-2017 04:19 PM

Re: Engine Won't Fit

You migh t have the mounts mixed up right and left. I think they are handed. I'm sure the experts in this are will chime in.

Joe K 04-25-2017 04:44 PM

Rear engine mounts A-5090-B are equivalent - 2 required thus per car.

Front engine mount backwards?

Joe K

Dave1931Pickup 04-25-2017 05:01 PM

The front engine mount will only fit one way. If it is on backwards it will not seat correctly on the front timing gear cover.

Joe K 04-25-2017 05:32 PM

Gotta be in that front crossmember replacement then. Do you still have the old piece to do a comparison?

If need be someone here (maybe me) can do some "measuring" of a non-altered frame. In fact someone may have already done some measuring and it got written up in one of the magazines (location of rivet holes major body mount points, etc?)

Pix may help. Can you get a bright light and camera pix which will show the relative position of the engine support mount hole in the bottom of the front cross-member and its relation to the "gutter/depressed area" it sits in?

I have three frames upstairs I can eyeball if I have your pix.

Joe K

1955cj5 04-25-2017 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is not a great picture but I think if the rear engine mount were upside down the holes to the flywheel housing would not line up...

Joe K 04-25-2017 05:36 PM

And the "open side" of those rear engine supports point to the rear of the car?

Just thinking...

Joe K

denniskliesen 04-25-2017 06:07 PM

How much room do you have between the firewall and the back of the engine?

RawhideKid 04-25-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denniskliesen (Post 1463756)
How much room do you have between the firewall and the back of the engine?

I think the frame is bare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1931Pickup;
The frame is bare of any other parts and sitting on jack stands on the floor.

Tacoma Bob 04-25-2017 06:22 PM

I had a similar problem on my install. It was suggested by several guys to trim the rubber motor mount pads. That and a hydraulic jack to spread the frame a rch did the trick.

denniskliesen 04-25-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawhideKid (Post 1463766)
I think the frame is bare.

Oh yeah DUH!! I was looking at 1955cj5's picture.:eek:

2manycars 04-25-2017 08:32 PM

The rear engine mounts are the same left and right. That is why there are 6 holes for the frame bolts and only 3 are used. The open area faces to the rear of the car.

RawhideKid 04-25-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1463850)
The rear engine mounts are the same left and right. That is why there are 6 holes for the frame bolts and only 3 are used. The open area faces to the rear of the car.

Not to hijack this thread, but Bill, can the rear mounts be mounted with the open area to the front since I have not had mine apart?

SteveB31 04-25-2017 08:47 PM

Most likely the rear motor mounts are installed backwards. Possible, but not likely, a 1928 front crossmember installed. Photos would help us all help you.

1crosscut 04-25-2017 09:41 PM

I'm with Joe and Steve. Motor mounts may be backwards. Don't think you need to switch sides, just rotate them 180 degrees.

Dave1931Pickup 04-25-2017 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. Right now I have the open side of the rear mounts facing to the back. I thought that is the way I saw them in some other pictures.

Tom Wesenberg 04-25-2017 10:17 PM

Any chance the front motor mount yoke had the stud replaced and welded in the wrong location, or the yoke is simply bent?

2manycars 04-26-2017 06:36 AM

The rear mounts can be installed backwards, but the engine would be in the wrong position, as the engine mounting holes are more towards the open end than the closed end. The open area must face to the rear of the car.

Dave1931Pickup 04-26-2017 11:15 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I still suspect the hole in the front crossmember is in the wrong position. Attached are some pictures of it and the rear motor mounts which I believe are mounted correctly. The hole in the front crossmember is very close to the rear vertical flange. It is hard to get a good measurement because of the curved area between the vertical flange and the hole but it is somewhere between 11/16" and 3/4" from the inside of the flange to the center of the hole.
Thanks for every ones help, Dave

Art Newland 04-26-2017 11:36 AM

Take a look at this page;
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...member.996441/