The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ignition Abnormality (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161012)

David Williams 02-08-2015 09:05 PM

Ignition Abnormality

Had a weird thing happen today, I was troubleshooting my ignition system. First, the truck has sit since late fall in my farm shop, was going to bring it over to my basement shop for some work. When it wouldn't fire, I checked fuel,OK then went to ignition. With coil wire loose and closing open points with screwdriver to check for spark to a head bolt, the starter actually kicked,l saw the fan move. Couldn't believe it tried again same thing. Distributor has been rebuilt,along with engine,starter. I did have a hot spark. Am I having a ground issue between distributor and block? Truck ran and started fine til I put it up for winter. Any thoughts. Ghost in my shop.

Tom Wesenberg 02-08-2015 09:57 PM

Re: Ignition Abnormality

I had a similar problem 3 years ago after not being driven for 4 months during the monsoon season. Even after cleaning the points it didn't fire up until I tried the hand crank. It fired right up with one pull of the crank. Once fired up it was fine the rest of the summer.

WestCoast 02-08-2015 09:59 PM

check for cross firing , maybe a cracked dist cap, or a carbon track inside the dist cap

daveymc29 02-08-2015 11:30 PM

Ever turn your key to the "on" position and find that the engine was now running? I have done that twice with a Model A. Glad I make a habit of putting the shifter into neutral, hand brake on and the clutch in whenever I start these machines.

pat in Santa Cruz 02-08-2015 11:55 PM

it could be the battery is low, or the battery ground is poor, so the starter sucks up so much battery that there is not enough to spark. Then when you activate the points or hand crank it, it has enough juice to spark

Mike V. Florida 02-08-2015 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz (Post 1030373)
it could be the battery is low, or the battery ground is poor, so the starter sucks up so much battery that there is not enough to spark. Than when you activate the points or hand crank it, it has enough juice to spark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1030281)
I had a similar problem 3 years ago after not being driven for 4 months during the monsoon season. Even after cleaning the points it didn't fire up until I tried the hand crank. It fired right up with one pull of the crank. Once fired up it was fine the rest of the summer.

Something to look at.

1930artdeco 02-09-2015 09:49 AM

Somehow I think your starter switch is somehow sticking, even though you did not touch it. Sounds interesting though.

Mike

Mitch//pa 02-09-2015 11:11 AM

it sounds like when you energized the points it combusted some gas in one of the cylinders