The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Timing Help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283119)

Jbeavers 06-24-2020 11:39 AM

Timing Help

Hello, I have a 29 Model AA and recently had to replace the lower plate due to a bad wire, anyway had to redo the timing. I started with spark advance all the way up, found TDC on timing gear, used Nu-Rex wrench adjust and now truck only starts with spark advance lever all the way down. Do I start over? Perhaps I was not top dead center when i started? Im Assuming it’s way too advanced, sounds good when running with lever all the way down but I know that’s not right and looking for a little guidance.

Thanks

Russ/40 06-24-2020 12:03 PM

Re: Timing Help

most likely you were in error as to TDC. Did you double check that?

1crosscut 06-24-2020 12:05 PM

Jay did you have the body of the distributor on and turn the pointer on the wrench to the #4 post on it or did you by chance not have the body on the distributor and instead put the pointer at the #4 spark plug?
If you had it at top dead center, advance lever all the way up and the spark control arm touching the passenger side of the distributor body and the nurex touching the #4 contact on the body it should be pretty darn close to spot on.
Another possibility is you may not have had the screw turned tight enough and the rotor moved.

Ruth 06-24-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbeavers (Post 1902473)
Hello, I have a 29 Model AA and recently had to replace the lower plate due to a bad wire, anyway had to redo the timing. I started with spark advance all the way up, found TDC on timing gear, used Nu-Rex wrench adjust and now truck only starts with spark advance lever all the way down. Do I start over? Perhaps I was not top dead center when i started? Im Assuming it’s way too advanced, sounds good when running with lever all the way down but I know that’s not right and looking for a little guidance.

Thanks

First, what are your points set at. Nu-Rex wrench doesn't work well if points are not set correctly ~.020. Sounds to me your are too far retarded if you have to advance the lever that far to get it started.

30 Closed Cab PU 06-24-2020 12:22 PM

Picture shows where rotor is point correctly to spark plug oone when at TDC - check and see if your is correct. Lookikn from passanger side of the motor.

Other picture shows were wrench should be when timed - wrench pointing towards firewall

ryanheacox 06-24-2020 12:26 PM

Another thought, did you bend the terminal on the wire from the lower plate to the points at a 90 degree angle? I didn't at first when I did mine and would only start with the spark down because otherwise the terminal was grounding against the spring between the plates. Hard to start with no spark, imagine that!

30 Closed Cab PU 06-24-2020 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures.

One of the rotor when it is at TDC cylinder 1 - check to see if you get the with the timing pin located properly .

Other picture is the wrench is set properly timed - wrench handle toward fire wall.
(spark lever at full retard/up).

Patrick L. 06-24-2020 03:12 PM

left lever up

points set to .020"

TDC found with timing pin

distributor cam notch toward #1 pin in cap [ pointing toward right fender]

distributor spins CCW

set cam so ramp just contacts points block with backlash removed.

tighten cam screw, recheck as cam can move.

any more turn of cam CCW or pulling the lever down a click or two will open points. [ a continuity meter works well ]

timing is now set correctly

Jbeavers 06-24-2020 05:01 PM

Yes I thought about this also, I did bend it but maybe not enough, was going to recheck it

Jbeavers 06-24-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1902486)
Jay did you have the body of the distributor on and turn the pointer on the wrench to the #4 post on it or did you by chance not have the body on the distributor and instead put the pointer at the #4 spark plug?
If you had it at top dead center, advance lever all the way up and the spark control arm touching the passenger side of the distributor body and the nurex touching the #4 contact on the body it should be pretty darn close to spot on.
Another possibility is you may not have had the screw turned tight enough and the rotor moved.

Hey Dave thought I would hear from you I did it all as you stated

Jbeavers 06-24-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1902489)
First, what are your points set at. Nu-Rex wrench doesn't work well if points are not set correctly ~.020. Sounds to me your are too far retarded if you have to advance the lever that far to get it started.

Yes I did double check the points at .020

Jbeavers 07-06-2020 11:15 AM

Hey thanks all for the suggestions it was the lower plate wire where it connects to the upper plate was not bent in enough could see where it was making contact, all is well now and drove bing around, thanks again

1931 flamingo 07-06-2020 02:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It may help others.
Paul in CT