The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   HAVE to get some primer on my tins (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75905)

metalho 07-03-2012 08:25 AM

HAVE to get some primer on my tins

All the body work is done on my tins and have been fitted up on the truck. Its been two months since they have been sand blasted and Im thinkin I need to use an epoxy primer before I blow the filler primer on. I dont see any real flah rust, but Im sure its begining.

Mike V. Florida 07-03-2012 12:21 PM

Re: HAVE to get some primer on my tins

Yep sounds like a good thing to do. Any flash rush?

Steve Plucker 07-03-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalho (Post 454738)
All the body work is done on my tins and have been fitted up on the truck. Its been two months since they have been sand blasted and Im thinkin I need to use an epoxy primer before I blow the filler primer on. I dont see any real flah rust, but Im sure its begining.

First I have heard of this terminology!

Pluck

metalho 07-03-2012 01:58 PM

Not yet that I can see. But the tins had alot of pitting before sand blasting. Looked like most of the black was out of the deep pits, but you know how rust is. Im just gonna shoot it with epoxy primer. To much work to have rust come through 2 years down the road. I would post pics, but I cant figure this forums system out.

CarlG 07-03-2012 02:02 PM

What is a "tin"???

Tom from Drippin' 07-03-2012 02:10 PM

Most Epoxy primers require coating with a sandable primer within a specific time frame, or they must be sanded prior to future coating. The Epoxy primers are tough to sand, as opposed to the sandable primers.
Check the paint manufacturer's data sheets.

metalho 07-03-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom from Drippin' (Post 454938)
Most Epoxy primers require coating with a sandable primer within a specific time frame, or they must be sanded prior to future coating. The Epoxy primers are tough to sand, as opposed to the sandable primers.
Check the paint manufacturer's data sheets.

Was planning on using a filler primer over the epoxy primer. I'm too slow to shoot everything wet, so was planning on having to scuff after shooting. I really apologize about the "TINS" terminology. Old habit from working on motorcycles.........

james.heider 07-03-2012 05:14 PM

I would clean the steel witha 3M scuff pad and then wipe a solvent based wax and oil grease remover over the parts. I would then wipe them down with a water/acetone based wax oil and grease removwer. Shoot the parts with a good epoxy and when that dries give them a coat of 2K primer. Then all you need to do is work over the top of the 2K which is easier to sand.

gibby 07-03-2012 05:21 PM

Tins refers to any removable metal work. For instance on a motorcycle, the tins would be the tank, fenders, etc.

metalho 07-03-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibby (Post 455062)
Tins refers to any removable metal work. For instance on a motorcycle, the tins would be the tank, fenders, etc.

Thank you..............................:D See, Im not nuts lol

metalho 07-03-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james.heider (Post 455058)
I would clean the steel witha 3M scuff pad and then wipe a solvent based wax and oil grease remover over the parts. I would then wipe them down with a water/acetone based wax oil and grease removwer. Shoot the parts with a good epoxy and when that dries give them a coat of 2K primer. Then all you need to do is work over the top of the 2K which is easier to sand.

Sound advise Sir. Too much work to have any rust pop up.............:)

Logan 07-03-2012 06:22 PM

We usually prime them right after sand blasting... It's probably a Texas thing, but you can literally watch rust form hours after you touch the bare metal.

Mitch 07-03-2012 07:53 PM

My concern is the pits after sand blasting and sitting for some time. The rust will start down in the pits and later may pop up or cause problems. I use a phosphoric acid product and soak it for 20 minutes or so to remove the rust. You will be able to tell when it is working. Epoxy primer should work fine over that, but I go ahead and spray the sandable primer on during the recoat period of the expoxy primer. Save your self the tough sanding of the epoxy.

metalho 07-03-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch (Post 455161)
My concern is the pits after sand blasting and sitting for some time. The rust will start down in the pits and later may pop up or cause problems. I use a phosphoric acid product and soak it for 20 minutes or so to remove the rust. You will be able to tell when it is working. Epoxy primer should work fine over that, but I go ahead and spray the sandable primer on during the recoat period of the expoxy primer. Save your self the tough sanding of the epoxy.

Can you use phosphoric acid over the filler? I bought two gallons of the crap so its on hand.

jw hash 07-03-2012 11:19 PM

only use wax and grease remover for wax and grease not to clean the metal before primering, get some ppg metal treatment and wear gloves use a 3M scuff pads, use it straight go over the whole parts and have a bucket of clean water and a clean rag rinse the part and dry it as fast as you can they should give you a poop sheet and read it.

metalho 07-04-2012 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jw hash (Post 455256)
only use wax and grease remover for wax and grease not to clean the metal before primering, get some ppg metal treatment and wear gloves use a 3M scuff pads, use it straight go over the whole parts and have a bucket of clean water and a clean rag rinse the part and dry it as fast as you can they should give you a poop sheet and read it.

Ive got a gallon of PPG DX520. Is this the metal treatment your speaking of? And Im not sure if you know Ive already got filler on the steel.

jw hash 07-04-2012 08:16 AM

you can use DX520 over filler with out any problems just make sure you rinse it and that it is totally dry before you put primer on.

metalho 07-04-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw hash (Post 455385)
you can use DX520 over filler with out any problems just make sure you rinse it and that it is totally dry before you put primer on.

Thank you Sir

metalho 07-04-2012 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jw hash (Post 455385)

Doors after DX520.......................Everything is goin in the house lol.