The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Planning ahead for high altitude driving (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184166)

farmputzer 12-05-2015 07:52 PM

Planning ahead for high altitude driving

I plan on driving my 30 Model A to the National club meet in Colorado in June. It runs very well here in Minnesota both summer and winter, averaging 16-20 mpg depending on touring or parade. Totally stock, rebuilt 4,500 miles ago. While in Loveland, I would like to go further up the mountain. What should I plan to do to the carb/engine to make the climb?

oldredford 12-05-2015 07:59 PM

Re: Planning ahead for high altitude driving

Electronic ignition and Mitchel overdrive....

Patrick L. 12-05-2015 08:34 PM

It doesn't seem to me that you need to do anything. If you're really concerned about running too rich at that altitude you could bring along another carburetor that has been set [ re-jetted] to run a tad leaner. Just install it once there if there is an issue.

I think I'd be a bit more concerned about stopping that monster if you end up in some real 'hills'. And, making sure there is not any indication there could be an overheating issue.

modelAtony 12-05-2015 08:40 PM

Engine will be good , You may need to turn your gav to get your sweet spot for altitude. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA

SteveB31 12-05-2015 09:20 PM

Nothing. We drive them at this altitude all the time, and travel in the mountains all the time. The only problem folks have is getting altitude sickness, and it is not that tough as long as you pace yourself.

Steve Becker
Denver,CO.

Big hammer 12-05-2015 10:09 PM

Drink lots of fluids has helped me when going to Colorado:-)

Henry's Lady's Man 12-06-2015 12:45 AM

Hey farmputzer, I live at 5295 ft... (1 mile & 15 ft above sea level). Loveland is at 5080 ft.
My car was from the Cumberland MD area, and I leaned it out just a tad (gav). I run just fine, and I have stock engine, head, and rear end. You will lose a small bit of compression with lower air pressure, but it oughta do just fine. Chuck

Tomy Turbos 12-06-2015 01:13 AM

At the very least, take a screwdriver.

Bruce of MN 12-06-2015 06:42 AM

When I was 5 and we lived in Colorado Springs, Dad drove us up Pikes Peak in the coupe that is now mine at least once. I was too little to know if he played with the GAV or not.

captndan 12-06-2015 08:41 AM

Be prepaired to deal with vapor lock.

Merc Cruzer 12-06-2015 08:59 AM

National club meet in Colorado in June. What date in June and where? Since I live here it would be great to come and see it.

Jim/GA 12-06-2015 09:23 AM

The Model A Ford Club of Colorado invites you to join us in Loveland, Colorado for the 2016 MAFCA National Convention on June 19-24, 2016.

Please go to our web-site for the latest information. Enjoy the videos as a sample of what you'll see in this area. A complete list of near by accommodations is there for your selection. We look forward to seeing and meeting you this coming June.

:)

John Stone 12-06-2015 09:36 AM

Drove my stock roadster to the top of Pike's Peak and didn't touch a thing. No problem with the car but I was a little woozy.:)

newshirt 12-06-2015 09:47 AM

Do nothing. I live at 7,600 feet elevation. I see zero difference when driving Model A's up over the Continental Divide at 11,00 feet, or down into Denver to 5,000, and even lower into Kansas. No adjustments, no worries. Model A's run perfect at any elevation. :)

jrelliott 12-06-2015 10:28 AM

Moved mine from Rochester, MN to Pine,AZ elevation 5500' and did not have to do anything except hit the GAV. Runs great here. Just remember you loose HP with elevation gain. Vehicle will not be as peppy at the higher elevations as at sea level.

Aerocraft 12-06-2015 12:23 PM

Had my "Chicago area Coupe" to as high as Loveland Pass (11,990') when on a "High Country" tour with no changes to the engine. The natives gave the best advice : "Whatever gear you use to go up, use to come down !"

Gar Williams