The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dropped axle (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188145)

47Sooner 01-30-2016 07:54 PM

Dropped axle

2 Attachment(s)
My 47 Ford Deluxe needs a front end overhaul and I'd like to keep it lowered somewhat. I noticed the previous owner heated the springs to lower it. The entire brake system has already been rebuilt and I'll probably just keep the drum brakes for now. I suppose what I need is a dropped axle, new spring, and shocks. I know Sid's is in the OKC area to provide some help. Anything else effected by the dropped axle ? I found some of my old Rod & Custom mags today. Too bad the dropped axle prices still aren't the same. This one is from July '57.

FortyNiner 01-30-2016 07:57 PM

Re: Dropped axle

Sid's in Guthrie is THE source.

TJ 01-30-2016 08:05 PM

The spindle arms will need to be heated and bent to maintain your turning radius. Rather than heating and bending them you should cut them off and bolt on new arms. Use Chassis Engineering arms or those sold by Speedway or other hot rod vendors

19Fordy 01-30-2016 09:20 PM

Send Sid your spindles. He will bend them. Well worth the money.

JSeery 01-30-2016 09:45 PM

Don't even think about an aftermarket axle, go with Sid's, original Ford parts all the way.

19Fordy 01-31-2016 01:31 PM

The Magnum 4 inch dropped axle is made 3/4 narrower than the stock 40 axle so as to provide fender/tire clearance. Can an original Ford axle be dropped and narrowed like the Magnum?

flatheadmurre 01-31-2016 01:36 PM

You can drop and stretch an axle to what you need it to be.
If it gets thin stretching, fill it for added strenght.

V8COOPMAN 01-31-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1233383)
The Magnum 4 inch dropped axle is made 3/4 narrower than the stock 40 axle so as to provide fender/tire clearance. Can an original Ford axle be dropped and narrowed like the Magnum?

Normally, when the two ends are dropped without stretching, the axle width (king pin center line) will decrease slightly. Most axle droppers are capable of stretching the ends while dropping to maintain original width. Dropped ORIGINAL Ford axles is the ONLY way to go, metalurgically, and to retain original perch dimensions. DD

sidevalve8ba 01-31-2016 02:13 PM

If you are going to be replacing the front spring why not replace it with one with reversed eyes to lower the front end? The moly-nylon button insert type ride very well and you can retain the stock axle, wishbone and crossmember. Pretty significant lowering too.

Krylon32 01-31-2016 02:20 PM

Anson Axles, Grey Haynes. The best I've found.

JSeery 01-31-2016 02:36 PM

Call Sid, he will tell you what they can do. It is my understanding thay will custom do the drop however you want (within reason and safety).

Chappy 04-09-2016 04:40 PM

For those with lowered front ends, what shocks are you using? I assume they need to be shorter.

JSeery 04-09-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 1274411)
For those with lowered front ends, what shocks are you using? I assume they need to be shorter.

Depends on where the shock is attached. As an example, if the shock is mounted to the radius rod, the relationship between the radius rod and the frame remains unchanged, only the kingpin part of the axle is moved when an axle is dropped. Reversing the eyes on the spring, removing spring leaves, that sort of thing will move the frame closer to the radius rod, a dropped axle shouldn't.

Same would apply if the shock is attached to the spring perch bolt, the relationship between the perch bolt and the frame should not be changed by installing a dropped axle.

russcc 04-09-2016 05:56 PM

The least expensive way to get a 1 1/2" drop is, as one Fordbarner already suggested, with reversed spring eyes. Very simple process of re-arching the spring cold in the press. To much dropped axle, spindle steering arm hits, reducing turning radius as already pointed out. if you can find an original "Moredrop" axle, they work the best, and look good doing it.

1oldtimer 04-09-2016 06:42 PM

Like everyone has said, reverse eye spring slight drop with stock axle, drop axle with stock spring more of a drop and reversed eye spring WITH a drop axle is on the ground :). I've used Anson and Okie Joes (Sids doesn't do 28-36, he sends them to Joe's)...it depends who your close to.

If you do go the drop axle route make sure you send your axle AND spindles to Sid so he can drop your spindles to your axle.

Also original Ford axles and spindles are the ONLY way to go.

Bassman/NZ 04-09-2016 08:36 PM

You may also want to consider running 15" Mercury rims on the front.

funrunr 04-10-2016 08:53 AM

When I purchased my last drop axle I went with Magnum. At the time they were the only aftermarket ones that didn't require splitting my wishbones. I plan on contacting Sid's for my current build but it may be a while. Please keep us informed with your decision and outcome.

flatjack9 04-10-2016 11:44 AM

I'm with the reversed spring eye crowd. That's what I did on my 39.

JSeery 04-10-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1274790)
I'm with the reversed spring eye crowd. That's what I did on my 39.

It depends on the amount of drop you are after! On my 33 I have reversed spring eyes, removed spring leaves, dropped axle and raised the spring mount. Dropped axle was 2 inches, the spring an inch and the mount an inch and the relaxed spring, so 5 inches. Then the rims and tires are the smallest diameter that allows me to maintain the scrub clearance. It the old Alice in Wonderland deal, which way you go depends on where you want to end up! :D

37 Cab 04-10-2016 12:01 PM

My 37 has a dropped axle, reversed springs, and 15" wheels with small diameter tires.