The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which manafold heater? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183687)

kingbee 11-28-2015 11:44 AM

Which manafold heater?

I need to get an exhaust manifold heater. I have an autolite waffle style on my other car, and i'm not really impressed, even with an added sheet metal 'scoop' mounted on the front. This new A has never had a heater before, so there is no problem with inlet alignment. No, it's not for the roadster, but a closed car.

1930artdeco 11-28-2015 12:36 PM

Re: Which manafold heater?

If you want something that really pours on the heat find an Ottwell or Director Special. If you don't want to cut up the fire wall, you can look for one of the floor heater manifolds.

Mike

Big hammer 11-28-2015 04:33 PM

My Ottwell heater worked great in the summer :-( In the winter 0*, @27mph it would beat the passengers toes :-) If your going to drive a lot in the winter, I would look at a hot water heater IMO

Aerocraft 11-28-2015 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been using the Autolite "Waffle" style heater in two of my Model A's for a very long time here in the Chicago area. They have been satisfactory to well below freezing temps. I have found that it really helps to have the car as draft free as possible and have paid special attention to being sure that the door windlace and windshield sealing are as perfect as possible. There are different"style" Autolite manifold heater castings with some of them having much deeper fins than others. Obviously, the deeper fins radiate more heat. I also use a piece of 2" diameter flexible heat resistant tubing as a coupling between the manifold cover and firewall receiver. Both of my cars have the "deeper" style manifolds.

Gar Williams

Tom Wesenberg 11-28-2015 11:36 PM

I'm going to use a water heater and run it under my floorboards.
I'd like to find a small fancy cast iron grate for the floor.

Mike V. Florida 11-29-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1197430)
I'm going to use a water heater and run it under my floorboards.
I'd like to find a small fancy cast iron grate for the floor.

Something like this ?;

Cast Iron Floor Grate

Tom Wesenberg 11-29-2015 02:28 AM

Yes, but a 4 x 8 cost $55 plus shipping. I'll find something more affordable. Thanks Mike

The local libs just increased my property tax by $500 a year, so I won't be buying any extras for a while.

Mike V. Florida 11-29-2015 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1197461)
Yes, but a 4 x 8 cost $55 plus shipping. I'll find something more affordable. Thanks Mike

The local libs just increased my property tax by $500 a year, so I won't be buying any extras for a while.

Wow $500.00, that's a lot of gas!

40 Deluxe 11-29-2015 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1197268)
My Ottwell heater worked great in the summer :-( In the winter 0*, @27mph it would beat the passengers toes :-) If your going to drive a lot in the winter, I would look at a hot water heater IMO

If you want more heat, just run with the spark lever up!

C26Pinelake 11-29-2015 04:25 AM

I have installed the hot water heater and I am very impressed. I have had it out several times when temperature wAs below zero! Wayne

Bob Bidonde 11-29-2015 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reproduction of a Model "A" era accessory heater. Heat is ducted to a register in the front wood floor.

Big hammer 11-29-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1197466)
If you want more heat, just run with the spark lever up!

Daily driver winter of 71, don't breath out looking at windshield, or scape off frost.Also park in the gear I needed to start in the morning, because it would take two hands to move shift lever, drive in low gear two blocks before shifting to second gear! I love that car :-) I know I could have thinned the 600w oil

imacrazy 11-29-2015 05:39 PM

Tom, could you tell me what kind of hot water heater you are going to use? I am wanting to do the same thing.

Bill

Marvin/TN 11-29-2015 05:49 PM

Check the big box stores such as Lowes's. I have several cast iron vent covers in my house or you can buy cast brass covers and there is the option of closing off the vent when not needed. They come in different sizes.

Tom Wesenberg 12-02-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imacrazy (Post 1197827)
Tom, could you tell me what kind of hot water heater you are going to use? I am wanting to do the same thing.

Bill

I picked up a couple heater cores at the junk yard, and also bought a complete box heater at a swap meet from some old car or truck. I'll probably used the core from a late model Ford for my heater. Something like a Ford from the 90's as I recall. I'll make my own box for it.

28Ca8149 12-02-2015 10:24 PM

When I bought my 28 A it had at one time a water heater and then a gasoline South Wind heater The first owner said it used as much gas as the car used. Then he wrap a sheet of metal around the outside of the muffler and pipe through the floor .That was what was in it when I got it , boy did it put out the heat I had to shut it off most of the times .

Barber31 08-16-2016 02:51 PM

Where could I find a heater like the one in post #10? I can't figure out how to copy and paste it.

TinCup 08-16-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1197526)
Reproduction of a Model "A" era accessory heater. Heat is ducted to a register in the front wood floor.

Ok Bob where did you get that thing?

CarlG 08-16-2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber31 (Post 1339717)
Where could I find a heater like the one in post #10? I can't figure out how to copy and paste it.

Looks like it was made from hardware store items: Flex exhaust pipe, Chain Link Fence fitting, Canning Funnel

Can't see what is below.

Barber31 08-16-2016 03:26 PM

I found an article on google of a gent that was making his version which looked pretty similar but can't find any info on him other than the article. JFranklin was his name on the other forum. The other picture I saw the tubing was tucked behind the carb. I thought that was a good idea for the block to heat the incoming air as well.