The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nu-Rex Electronic Ignition Help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301192)

Doug Linden 07-14-2021 08:39 PM

Nu-Rex Electronic Ignition Help

I stopped by to help a friend start his Model A after sitting all winter. His attempt to start was unsuccessful. He said he had gas but no spark. I figure the points might be corroded but when I took the distributor cap off I saw the Nu-rex electronic ignition. When he bought the Model A no paper work on the Nu-rex was included.
Does anyone have the instructions and wiring diagram kicking around they could scan and post.
Hopefully it's just a bad connection because I talked to Nu-rex this morning and they don't manufacture this unit any longer as they have no access to the modules they used.
TIA

alexiskai 07-14-2021 09:47 PM

Re: Nu-Rex Electronic Ignition Help

Best source I could find:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030820...chive.asp~main

GeneBob 07-14-2021 10:09 PM

https://fsignitions.com/FSI_DISTRIBUTOR.html
Links to the installation and set up are toward the bottom of the page.

GeneBob 07-14-2021 10:17 PM

Here is the problem. If you left the ignition key on for an extended period of time while you were troubleshooting, you may have killed the ignition module. Anyway, FSI Ignition is the current builder of these systems. They are in Oklahoma.
As far as no spark, make sure the rotor is rotating, the electronic ignition has a fuse between the battery connection and the system. The ignitor pickup is replaceable and available from FSI if you don't have a spare.

jak 07-15-2021 01:24 PM

The FSI kit is totally different from the NUREX kit and parts are not interchangeable. The NUREX kits have been off the market for about 5-10 years. try calling NUREX to see if Bob has any leftover parts.

31Tudor 07-15-2021 01:59 PM

I would probably just convert back to points.

California Travieso 07-15-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Tudor (Post 2036331)

X2. I agree with Tudor that it is the quickest way to get it started.

David Serrano

Marshall V. Daut 07-15-2021 07:17 PM

Doug Linden -
Have you checked your "Private Messages" in the top right corner of this webpage?
Marshall

Doug Linden 07-15-2021 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
alexiskai the link to the wiring diagram will be most helpful, thank you.
I did talk to Bob at Nu-rex and he did offer a few suggestions but also indicated that he had no spare parts for this unit.
I am aware of the problem of leaving the key on, but I have know knowledge if that happened or not. If the module turns out to be toast that will be all she wrote on this electronic unit. In the mean time my friend is preparing a stock distributor so he can back on the road.

GeneBob 07-15-2021 09:39 PM

My apologies, I thought the FSI kit was just the latest version of the same electronic ignition module.

nkaminar 07-16-2021 07:01 AM

My car came with electronic ignition and automatic advance. I converted it back to points but using the modern V8 points and condensor and manual advance. The car runs better and I like being able to manually adjust the timing. I have had problems in the past with electronic ignition and also problems with points so the choice is really up to the owner. In my case the modern points and condensor are very reliable.

AL in NY 07-16-2021 10:58 AM

GeneBob: the fallacy of leaving the ignition switch on for an extended period of time will burn out the FSI modules is not true.

Benson 07-16-2021 03:06 PM

59 degrees C

Benson 07-16-2021 03:17 PM

it was grounded

private message sent

Dave in MN 07-17-2021 06:04 AM

All of the electronic module ignition system problems I have worked on were related to a weak ground to the module. Locate and clean this connection.
Good Day!

Tom Wesenberg 07-17-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Tudor (Post 2036331)

I agree.
They work well, and if they ever fail, they are easy to check and fix.

Patrick L. 07-18-2021 11:01 AM

Problem turned out to be that several ground wires from top of Transmission OR transfer case and the body were not hooked up when transfer case was rebuilt.
end quote

Thats been a big problem over the years. Once this was found I hope the shops were made to pay for subsequent repairs.

Gene F 07-18-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkaminar (Post 2036529)
My car came with electronic ignition and automatic advance. I converted it back to points but using the modern V8 points and condensor and manual advance. The car runs better and I like being able to manually adjust the timing. I have had problems in the past with electronic ignition and also problems with points so the choice is really up to the owner. In my case the modern points and condensor are very reliable.

I have heard about the electronic ignition issues from Petronix for years, and I'm with you. The 1957 and up points are the way to go. If in doubt, you can change one roadside in just a jiffy. They are also easy to get to on the engine. For me I keep the point block lubed. Sometimes you can simply take a toothpick and pick up the excess from what is already there, and put it back where it belongs.

Charlville 07-19-2021 03:59 AM

I had a similar issue when I first bought my A 8 years ago. Whilst checking for a spark and not knowing the electronic unit was fitted I blew the module (my bad) maybe that's what has happened?

Benson 07-19-2021 09:58 AM

geneva 1