The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   exhaust gasket - manifold to tailpipe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36002)

Bill in Al 05-02-2011 07:22 PM

exhaust gasket - manifold to tailpipe

Anyone know of a source for the gasket for the manifold to tailpipe flange.It seems as tho it should be easy to locate but I can't find 'em. Help-Bill

rotorwrench 05-02-2011 07:53 PM

Re: exhaust gasket - manifold to tailpipe

The ones for the 8BA and 8CM pipe to manifold should be available through NAPA. The part number is for the old L-6 engine 1GA-9450 but will fit most 8BA/8CM types. The cross over pipe gaskets are a different part number.

The 18-9448-A for 32 to 48 cars should be available in the exhaust manifold gasket sets 18-9433 that are available through Macs, C&G, Carpenter's, Van Pelts, or any number of other early Ford V8 parts vendors. Best gasket sets should also have them in their sets.
Kerby

Bill in Al 05-02-2011 08:06 PM

Sorry,I didn't make it clear! I've put duels on my '41 and it's actually the cross over gaskets I need. The duels replace the cross over. At least till I get a set of Rod's manifolds!

Bill in Al 05-02-2011 08:14 PM

Forgot to say ''thanks" Kerby! also-do you happen to have the no's for the crossover gasket? Thanks again--Bill :o

41ford1 05-03-2011 08:04 AM

#256-729 Bosal or Victor fits. The number crosses to Saab 900 and '70 & '80 fords. The 2 bolt holes are 7/16" centered on 3" Center hole is 1 3/4" with a steel fire ring.

rotorwrench 05-03-2011 08:40 AM

The original P/N for the later crossover gaskets is the same as the older pipe to manifold gasket 18-9448-A. Some of the mercury models used a copper and asbestos gasket that was a different part number but was the same size. I think they discontinued those a few years after production stopped on the flatheads in favor of the old part number which is more of a composition gasket with a metal wafer inside.

I had a little trouble finding them for a 51 Mercury crossover & heat riser valve until I found that the old types would work even though not original. We just have to use what we can find these days.

Kerby

Bill in Al 05-03-2011 03:48 PM

Thanks Kerby and 41ford1 What a great help we get from friends never seen!! Bill

richkid 07-14-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Al (Post 203012)
Thanks Kerby and 41ford1 What a great help we get from friends never seen!! Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 202859)
The original P/N for the later crossover gaskets is the same as the older pipe to manifold gasket 18-9448-A. Some of the mercury models used a copper and asbestos gasket that was a different part number but was the same size. I think they discontinued those a few years after production stopped on the flatheads in favor of the old part number which is more of a composition exhaust gasket with a metal wafer inside.

I had a little trouble finding them for a 51 Mercury crossover & heat riser valve until I found that the old types would work even though not original. We just have to use what we can find these days.

Kerby

I actually don't have any business in here because my questions are already answered any those part numbers are correct dude. What a blessing of info here. Thanks guys you just saved my time, i am such a very busy man. This is really helpful. :cool: