The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Subframe / Sub Rail Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284004)

harleycontracter 07-13-2020 07:19 PM

Subframe / Sub Rail Question

Why would a roadster be different from say a sedan or any other body style? I'm new to the A building . Like to learn about the build. Txs

Step-down 07-13-2020 07:29 PM

Re: Subframe / Sub Rail Question

1 Attachment(s)
Model A frame diagram

harleycontracter 07-13-2020 08:27 PM

I see diagram says Passenger Car and pick up I know frames are the same but I was told a sub rail and subframe are different for roadsters If that's the case what is different

Bob Bidonde 07-14-2020 09:00 AM

The bodies have base rails that are unique to the various bodies. For example, the 190A Victoria & 400A Convertible Sedan have wood body sub-rails whereas a Coupe and Roadster have integral metal sub-rails. The body sub-rails lay on top of the metal frame. The frames for the Model "A" are basically the same with the exception that some a variation in brackets. The "AA" models have different frames that are longer.

harleycontracter 07-14-2020 02:21 PM

Bob,
So I guess my question.I know someone that may have sub tails for a sedan . Can I use them on a roadster build ?

Randy in ca 07-14-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleycontracter (Post 1909087)
Bob,
So I guess my question.I know someone that may have sub tails for a sedan . Can I use them on a roadster build ?

No. The sub rails are unique to every body style. They are different shapes to account for body length, different type and size of doors, different wheel wells, etc., etc.. The subframe for a tudor sedan is about 8 inches (guessing) shorter than that for a roadster and also has a totally different rear cross piece.

rotorwrench 07-15-2020 08:38 AM

The cars with steel sub-rails have similarities since they have the same toe board support structure and cowl up front for the most part. A study of the difference between a coupe body and a roadster will answer a lot of questions. The open roadster has the belt line down lower than a coupe and uses short doors both vertically and horizontally. This makes the rear quarter panel longer for the roadster than the coupe. Even though they use the same deck lid, a person will notice that the curvature of the rear quarter in different than the coupe due to the lower belt line.

The rear body rail is the same between the coupe and the roadster and some of the cross channels are the same but the seat riser had to tie into the body to give the quarter panels more vertical stability since there is no roof to support anything. All these things affect the sub-rail channels.