The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Modern Ford Q? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283499)

Clem Clement 07-02-2020 01:45 PM

Modern Ford Q?

I'm told my 2015 Ford van has swollen lug nuts?!!? I'm thinking 'll need a bridge with that,,,

V8COOPMAN 07-02-2020 02:14 PM

Re: Modern Ford Q?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1905265)
I'm told my 2015 Ford van has swollen lug nuts?!!? I'm thinking 'll need a bridge with that,,,

You won't need a bridge, but you MAY need a cutting torch with that.
It claims that the lug nuts can swell and delaminate after changes in temperature and exposure to moisture. Truck owners then have to try (and apparently fail) to remove the swollen lug nuts with a lug wrench supplied with the Ford vehicles. Oct 23 2019
It's REAL! DD

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.ufvhv1...r=1.35&pid=1.7

……..

Jack Shaft 07-02-2020 02:46 PM

You would think it would throw a "swollen nuts" code..

Clem Clement 07-02-2020 03:48 PM

Brooklyn Bridge that is. Can I use Model A nuts??

1942deluxe 07-02-2020 06:34 PM

I'm the service manager in a small Ford dealership in Ohio. Problem is real and we've had to chisel some of them off. Had a Pontiac Vibe in today that we had to replace all of the lug nuts. The aftermarket (McGard) I think is a better design in my opinion.

flatford8 07-02-2020 07:00 PM

Up here in New England it ain’t just Fords. The stuff they put on the roads in the winter will take out the fuel and brake lines by the time a vehicle is four or five years old. I always use never-seize on the tapers of lug nuts. That way I don’t have to fight the corrosion between the taper and the aluminum wheel , along with my swollen nuts........Mark

Clem Clement 07-02-2020 07:45 PM

Re: Modern Ford Q? Swollen Nuts

Swollen Nuts.

I got my 2015 van back home all fixed.

My bill lists replacing "Swollen Nuts"

In talking to the front desk lady(A mechanic in her own rite), she sez Ford changes many of these. I have got one of my swollen lug nuts. My hub design has the nuts visible when mounted. The nut itself is not platted: a covering of plated steel (magnetic) is wrapped around the threaded lug providing the shine and hole covering, The bad one from my van shows the covering metal "smeared" around the lug nut corners and wrinkled some. I carry a large cross-wrench in the car. The wrinkled sheet metal will not allow the proper end to fit over the damaged nut. I'm told that the lousy lug l wrench can to that damage. (I have never liked the lug wrenches that come with the jacks.) I don't even know if I hammered on the cross wrench that I could reshape the sheet metal cap to proper function size,

From what I am reading, maybe there is more than one problem: corrosion, swelling and cover wrinkling??

I don't know for how many years the problem can l exist.
Clem

Clem Clement 07-02-2020 07:52 PM

Re: Modern Ford Q?" Swollen Nuts

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Swolle...s=ds&form=QBRE
Gives discussion on the bad nuts.
Clem

fordor41 07-02-2020 11:29 PM

remove the covering and try a smaller socket, US or metric.

flatford8 07-03-2020 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordor41 (Post 1905442)
remove the covering and try a smaller socket, US or metric.

This is how I get them off when the cover gets boogered.... Mark

nelsb01 07-03-2020 07:40 AM

Does it have anything to do with those torque stickes Ford/Lincoln mechanics use when they do tire removal? I know that the torque sticks ends that fit over the chrome wheel stud nuts are not deep enough. How do I know? At the 5000 mile maintence the dealer did a tire rotation. Got home looked at the wheel nuts and every one of them looked like they had been hit with a ballpen hammer on the ends. Dealer did not like replacing all 20 nuts. I asked for the nuts and I replaced them myself. They dont do my tire rotations any more either.

deuce_roadster 07-03-2020 10:32 AM

The operation the swollen nuts were "exposed" to was impact wrenches that mess up the stupid covering. I would really be pissed if I had a flat out on the road and the factory supplied lug wrench wouldn't fit.

Ross F-1 07-03-2020 11:21 AM

It's a bad design, no question, but it is mostly the techs using high-powered impacts with worn, sloppy-fitting sockets. I can't blame them for using the big guns, with aluminum wheels run in salty conditions and the nuts torqued to 100 ft-lbs or more.

jimvette59 07-03-2020 05:24 PM

I have the same problem. My tires a rotated every 5000 miles and the dealer said they need to be changed. I feel the impact wrenches do the damage. My nuts aren't rusty I think "Rusty nuts are a copout" Should Ford eat it ?

V8COOPMAN 07-03-2020 06:58 PM

Let's face it guys....OLD nuts just don't work quite as well as when younger....I mean NEWER! DD

oldford2 07-03-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1905712)
Let's face it guys....OLD nuts just don't work quite as well as when younger....I mean NEWER! DD

:) Well that's for sure. I am 81 and find that happens even with a beautiful wife of 61 years and still yearn for the past. She says get over it! :)
John

oldford2 07-03-2020 07:51 PM

delete double post
John

Aarongriffey 07-04-2020 12:06 AM

There was period of time, I forget when, when the lug wrench that came with
Lincoln cars was the wrong size.
When I had a Ford Aerostar a friend of mine told me rented one to go on vacation with and had a flat tire.
He said the jack would not lift the vehicle.
So I checked mine. Sure enough it was useless!

corvette8n 07-04-2020 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course there is a tool for it. One side fits the swollen nut the other fits the nut when the chrome cap is stripped off. Had this issue when I helped my son-in-law do brakes on a Ford Focus.

aussie merc 07-04-2020 07:31 PM

worst idea any manufacturer has come up with cheap nut hidden in a chrome cover there a drama doesn't matter where you live dirt /salt/water/or just time it dosen't mater just buy some quality lug nuts from your local parts outlet NO SUBSTITUTE FOR QUALITY [you can put a pig in a party dress but its still a pig]