The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jack recall, chinese junk from Harbor Freight (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281334)

mrtexas 05-20-2020 11:45 AM

Jack recall, chinese junk from Harbor Freight

1 Attachment(s)
Don't figure anyone here would be as dumb as me to have bought cheap chinese junk jack stands from Harbor Freight but here goes anyway. They have been recalled. Any with numbers: 61196, 61197, and 56371. I have set with another number, hmm, they safe?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...Cx7MgDn2USEgNY

41Joe 05-20-2020 11:59 AM

Re: Jack recall, chinese junk from Harbor Freight

I have a couple of the 61196. I got the email about the recall too. I used them a handful of times and never noticed anything unsteady about them. I'm going to return them anyways.

Kube 05-20-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtexas (Post 1889855)
Don't figure anyone here would be as dumb as me to have bought cheap chinese junk jack stands from Harbor Freight but here goes anyway. They have been recalled. Any with numbers: 61196, 61197, and 56371. I have set with another number, hmm, they safe?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...Cx7MgDn2USEgNY

Jack stands are one thing (among many) that should never be bought "cheap". I'd never consider a set from Harbor Freight. We all (well most of us) know they sell "cheap - throw away tools".
That's okay if your life won't be jeopardized.

ford38v8 05-20-2020 12:05 PM

Don't know why they were recalled, but, those type have no support under the legs and sink into blacktop.

tubman 05-20-2020 12:32 PM

Anyone can have a bad item released now and then. I remember that my dad had a "Snap-On" ratchet that fell apart on him. It seems that Harbor Freight realized they had a problem and handled it responsibly. The recall notice (with emails to purchasers, no less) seems to be managed well. I wish Sears had been able to handle my problem with the Craftsman drill that died after 3 months a few years ago as well.

40cpe 05-20-2020 12:34 PM

this is a copy from the email from Harbor Freight
"For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly."

I have a set of the 6-ton units that I have used on a level concrete floor with no problems but will be returning them.

TonyM 05-20-2020 12:35 PM

If I can get half a dozen uses out of a Harbor Freight product before it fails, I consider it even.

deuce_roadster 05-20-2020 12:43 PM

TonyM--If you can crawl out from under whatever they were holding up.

hotrodart 05-20-2020 02:33 PM

I refuse to buy or use any tools made in China......pure garbage. For jack stands, I have found that old Ford V-8 transmission cases work quite well.

Habusailor 05-20-2020 02:36 PM

You are knocking the store that sells "fine china"

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

skidmarks 05-20-2020 02:41 PM

Banjo axle housing. Got a bunch of them all the same height. No recall on them

Ruth 05-20-2020 04:11 PM

Not sticking up for Harbor Freight but y'all better check where other tools that used to be made in USA are now being manufactured. Craftsman comes to mind. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mrtexas 05-20-2020 04:18 PM

Got $43 store credit for 2 sets of jack stands

Kube 05-20-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1889958)
Not sticking up for Harbor Freight but y'all better check where other tools that used to be made in USA are now being manufactured. Craftsman comes to mind. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As does most of SnapOn.

RalphM 05-20-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarks (Post 1889930)
Banjo axle housing. Got a bunch of them all the same height. No recall on them

Skid marks, got a picture of those?
I have some I want to convert to stands. I can remember seeing some years ago and I want to duplicate them.

mhsprecher 05-20-2020 05:08 PM

I can remember when Made in Japan meant junk, too. Not true for many years now.

Why are things made in China, because they are cheap and we want cheap. It's one of the ways Walmart became so big.

skidmarks 05-20-2020 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1889976)
Skid marks, got a picture of those?
I have some I want to convert to stands. I can remember seeing some years ago and I want to duplicate them.

Its quicker and simpler to cut the end off square and use a piece of 3" channel iron.

A word of caution....cut the register off the banjo center end so they sit flat on the full flange. I did these in a lathe only because i had a lathe big enough to swing them. You can do it the hard way with a grinder. Also the taller you make them the less stable they become

rotorwrench 05-20-2020 05:16 PM

Snap On's claim that all basic hand tools like wrenches, socket sets, screw drivers, and tool storage cabinets with that name/trademark on them are made in the USA. Their Blue Point line does not make that claim and the prices reflect that. Electrical tools like cordless drills & impact drivers with their name are not made in the USA as well as other electronic analyzers and devices. China is only one of many countries that supply the company. A lot of there stuff comes from various European countries both eastern and western and some stuff even comes from South American countries.

Since they still have a lifetime warranty on USA made products, they want to make sure they make them well but the price damn sure reflects that.

Karl Wescott 05-20-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habusailor (Post 1889924)
You are knocking the store that sells "fine china"

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Remember though, most "fine china" was made in England.

TonyM 05-20-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1889880)
TonyM--If you can crawl out from under whatever they were holding up.

Yep. You got that right.