The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flathead with AC - how well does it work ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222250)

barnfind 06-07-2017 03:40 PM

Flathead with AC - how well does it work ?

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this flathead on ePay with a Sanden style AC compressor.

Curious how well AC works - or NOT - on a flathead.

Art Newland 06-07-2017 05:18 PM

Re: Flathead with AC - how well does it work ?

Guys down south run them on Model As a lot. I would think it's got to be better with a V8.

Ggmac 06-07-2017 05:39 PM

The little sanden compressor ( or Sanyo ) doesn't pull much hp , it the generator /alt required that creates some problems . To keep it orig under the hood I've run the compressor off the driveshaft . It's not bad but gets warm on long traffic lights .
Open driveshaft obviously .

redmodelt 06-07-2017 06:35 PM

I have see photos posted on mtfca forum of a closed car with a small AC unit installed and remember it's only 20 HP. :)

38 coupe 06-07-2017 06:49 PM

The issue isn't the compressor on the engine, that works fine. The issue is the condenser in front of the radiator. I've only seen one flathead with good working A/C here in Texas. I have seen several A/C equipped 32-53 cars, but most not what I'd call successful. The one successful install had the condenser about a foot in front of the radiator with lots of air flow around the condenser, in a 41 Mercury. Any install that doesn't allow air flow direct to the radiator causes hot running here. YMMV.

The Model A folks are successfully running A/C since they have room under the car to mount the condenser with a big electric fan. Starting with the double drop frame in 1932 there isn't room. Pickups do have lots of room under the bed and could probably go that route. A really big generator or an alternator are required with this type of installation.

Ardun 06-07-2017 06:55 PM

I used Vintage Air's period correct A/C kit with a Sanden Compressor on my 8ba in a '53 Ford and it works fine. Did use an electric fan to prevent over heating. Also used a custom solenoid to kick up the throttle when the compressor clutch activates as those sold by others are throttle stops only which requires hitting the throttle when stopped to get rpms up.

Ol' Ron 06-07-2017 08:37 PM

JWL has one in his 40, and it works great.

Scotty's 52 F3 06-07-2017 10:36 PM

I made my own system for my 52 using a Sanden compressor. I'm in AZ. and it works without overheating my engine. My engine is tired so I do notice the load a bit.

51 MERC-CT 06-08-2017 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardun (Post 1482914)
I used Vintage Air's period correct A/C kit with a Sanden Compressor on my 8ba in a '53 Ford and it works fine.

"Period correct"? on a flathead? Please explain.

chuck stevens 06-08-2017 06:02 AM

I have one on a 40, with a sanden compressor, and vintage air unit. Flathead runs it ok but, it is not like a modern factory a/c. I wouldn't do it again.... open cowl vent, roll the windows down go 60, listen to the flathead pipes.

Johnnydidd 06-08-2017 08:05 AM

I put a Vintage Air in my 53 Victoria worked good, I had trouble with over heating, tried electric fan worked great in city, on highway it would over heat. Ended up using 6 blade fan solved problem. The big problem was heat coming back from engine through the firewall and floor board, you must insulate both. It was worth the effort.

corvette8n 06-08-2017 08:10 AM

As my Dad used to say, his car had 220 air, two windows and 20 miles per hour.

Ardun 06-08-2017 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1483016)
"Period correct"? on a flathead? Please explain.

An unnder dash aftermarket unit from the 50's, not integrated. Vintage makes a copy of it.

Ardun 06-08-2017 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Throttle "kick up" solenoid. Has the power to move the throttle when the compressor clutch engages.

51 MERC-CT 06-08-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardun (Post 1483087)
An unnder dash aftermarket unit from the 50's, not integrated. Vintage makes a copy of it.

Ah, yes a Mark lV type unit. Had one in my '66 Ranchero.

Ardun 06-08-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1483096)
Ah, yes a Mark lV type unit. Had one in my '66 Ranchero.

"Mark IV type unit" is correct. Works well...

jaysberman 06-08-2017 11:13 AM

Had a 34 coupe with a vintage air unit and an electric fan, never over heated and cooled the car well.