The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stock Oil Filter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201288)

jrvariel48 07-26-2016 04:32 AM

Stock Oil Filter

I'll be installing a Camden blower this winter and I'd to get some input on oil filtering. Clean oil is important on these blowers because the oil runs through them to lubricate the rotors. Is the stock set up adequate to handle the job? I don't mind changing the oil every 1000 miles. I've read here that the stock filter is a very good system.
Any input?

Bluebell 07-26-2016 04:54 AM

Re: Stock Oil Filter

Basically the bypass oil filter system only filters 10 percent of the volume of what is going through the engine (hence the name "bypass") how ever it uses a filter which has a finer filtration (catches smaller particles) than a modern full flow filtering system (some heavy plant uses both systems)
The bypass system clogs over time if not changed, whereas the full flow system has a valve which lets the dirty oil go around the element when it's loaded up.
I have no clue what a Camden blower is (Rootes,vane type???) but perfectly clean air and perfectly clean oil would be the best possible situation.

51 MERC-CT 07-26-2016 05:46 AM

You could convert to a modern bypass filter such as Amsoil which has improved filtering capability over the stock bypass filter.
By actual test at idle, 5 qts. of oil was filtered in 11 min. of run time.

Kurt in NJ 07-26-2016 07:32 AM

I have done some research of sae and other papers----
particles under 25 microns most harmful to rings and bearings
.001 is about 25 microns

"full flow"----most full flow filters have a internal bypass that opens at 2-10 lbs drop through the filter--then little of the oil is filtered,---cold and thick oil will keep the bypass open longer

full flow, 85% capture single pass
40% @10 microns
60% @ 20microns
93% @ 30 microns
97% @ 40 microns

bypass filter
98% @ 2 microns , about 5 quarts filtred every 10 min

ideally both types of filters are used, the old Benz diesels had just a bypass filter, and a full flow screen(like the one in the ad with million miles), the 80s, 90s ones have both full flow paper and a depth bypass filter, bearings still look new at 300,000+ miles

tubman 07-26-2016 07:45 AM

Kurt,

It's reassuring to me to see those numbers. It gives me confidence in something I've always thought, and that is, given the conditions these cars operate under, a bypass filter is perfectly adequate. Our cars are stored and operated under the most favorable of conditions with frequent maintenance and quality lubricants. I, for one, am more confident with a stock bypass filter getting out the smaller particles than a full flow conversion taking out just the big chunks.

jrvariel48 07-26-2016 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebell (Post 1329456)
Basically the bypass oil filter system only filters 10 percent of the volume of what is going through the engine (hence the name "bypass") how ever it uses a filter which has a finer filtration (catches smaller particles) than a modern full flow filtering system (some heavy plant uses both systems)
The bypass system clogs over time if not changed, whereas the full flow system has a valve which lets the dirty oil go around the element when it's loaded up.
I have no clue what a Camden blower is (Rootes,vane type???) but perfectly clean air and perfectly clean oil would be the best possible situation.

Bluebell, a Camden blower is a 2 lobe Roots style. It receives oil from the engine under pressure which runs through the bearings then returns into the valve galley.

38 coupe 07-26-2016 04:05 PM

I think that getting the engine fully up to operating temperature is much more important than the type ("bypass" or "full flow") of oil filter on your motor. Good oil, good driving, and either filter should be fine for your motor.