The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Model B fuel pump question/warning (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230628)

jim1932 10-06-2017 12:21 PM

Model B fuel pump question/warning

1 Attachment(s)
So I have opened a couple of model B pumps that look nice on outside but were full of dust and pitting on the inside. Most recent one I got dirt cheap, so not complaining. So, the warning is to get a photo of the inside of the pump, or open it and look at it before you take it in a swap meet.

I also wonder how long it took to decay and how many spare pumps are sitting on our shelves decaying, because we didn't clean them out before they hit the shelf.

Question.... as long as the gaskets still seal, can these pitted ones still be run? or once they get pitted, will the corn gas eat them right up?

Charlie ny 10-06-2017 03:09 PM

Re: Model B fuel pump question/warning

Jim,
That's a good core....compared to the three I just finished yours looks real
nice. Every gasket face will require a cleanup cut and the valve seat under the big brass plug will require a precise reface as well as the valve seat on the pump side of
lid retaining screw. Don't overlook the inlet and outlet seats as well. It's a real bummer to discover you've got an inlet and/or outlet no seal condition when you go
to install the thing.
Charlie ny
after the pump is done

jim1932 10-06-2017 04:14 PM

So a complete pump just missing the drain petcock thing for $25 at Hershey was not a total waste...LOL

Was strange, I loosened the lid and got gas leaking out on my hand, but the inside was dust.

Lawrie 10-06-2017 05:12 PM

If these are so rare ,I have two tops for the cost of shipping.I,m in Australia.
Lawrie

Charlie ny 10-06-2017 05:15 PM

Jim,
Killer !
Charlie ny

Bruce Lancaster 10-09-2017 02:58 PM

I once bought one that was filled right to the top wit fine silt hardened into practically sandstone. I think it was quite possibly just drizzling gas through in a Model A gravity situation, and ran until it was totally blocked.
Anyway, I sat down and went to work with various sharp objects digging out the concretion and looking for the bottom of the well...eventually I noticed that things were looking really odd down there...I had dug all the way through. The casting had no bottom, the bottom in use had been the diaphragm. Not the best core!

jim1932 10-12-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 1535981)
If these are so rare ,I have two tops for the cost of shipping.I,m in Australia.
Lawrie

Not saying they are rare, but they seem to be going for around $300-$400 restored. I usually will pick one up if I see it under $100. This is only the second one with the pitting that I have gotten. Made me go and make sure the one on my shelf was cleaned of gas.

That said, if you are talking about the part in my photo, I would take a couple for the cost of shipping from you.

jim1932 10-22-2017 07:38 PM

OK..... stupid me, took it apart without paying attention. For the two wafers, springs on top or on the bottom? I am pretty sure the one the has the screwdriver slot the spring goes on top, but the main one that holds the lid on??

DavidG 10-22-2017 08:56 PM

For the spring beneath the brass fitting with the slot on top, the spring is above the wafer fitted on the protrusion on the fitting. For the other beneath the brass fitting with the threaded top for the lid the spring is beneath the wafer. The simple way to remember it is that the wafers always abut against their respective seats and therefore the accompanying spring is on the opposite side of the wafer.

jim1932 10-23-2017 06:57 AM

thanks

jim1932 11-10-2017 12:25 PM

whats the best thing to use to clean the outside? Carb Cleaner? Soak in Lestoil? Soak in Gas? don't have powder blast equip.

DavidG 11-10-2017 02:07 PM

Lacquer thinner followed by a quick (as in brief) dip in metal prep assuming that it is completely disassembled.

dubnutty 11-13-2017 05:58 PM

Jim can you post a picture of the fuel pump? I have put a B motor in my ‘29 station wagon and wanted to install a fuel pump on the block. I have looked on line for what the pump looks like but could not find a good one. I’m hoping on going to the Pomona Swap meet in So Cal next month and would like to look for one. Thanks.

jim1932 11-13-2017 07:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ignore the bare feet.......

tiger.1000 11-14-2017 03:17 AM

Dubnutty....try Dave Renner. I feel sure he will be able to help

dubnutty 11-14-2017 04:46 PM

Jim, thank you for the pictures. Now I know what I’m looking for.

jerseyboy 11-15-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1932 (Post 1550573)
whats the best thing to use to clean the outside? Carb Cleaner? Soak in Lestoil? Soak in Gas? don't have powder blast equip.

Jim,

You can also try Simple Green. I put a Holly 94 in a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water and the carb came out great!

Keep 4-banging!

Charlie ny 11-15-2017 10:20 AM

dub,
An option to a complete correct 'B' pump is using the the 'B' base and
the later style upper portion. This works quite nicely if let's say you find a 'B' pump with a rotted out bowl. And yes I have a couple of these crossbred pumps ready to go.
Charlie ny