The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvel Mystery Oil increases engine HP? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189455)

FrankWest 02-17-2016 06:03 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil increases engine HP?

I have heard many stories about adding Marvel Mystery Oil to you oil and gas can increase the performance of an engine. Increase HP?
Has anyone experienced this effect?

Dick's Hot Rod Place 02-17-2016 06:13 PM

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil increases engine HP?

Is that what's called "cure all in a can"? Mystery Oil is a good product but I don't think it will add any more HP to your engine. I can see it increasing performance by simply freeing everything up from sludge to carbon.

1931 flamingo 02-17-2016 06:14 PM

It's main use is to lubricate the valves, etc. I use it every time I put gas in...........glug, glug, glug.
Paul in CT

SeaSlugs 02-17-2016 06:15 PM

yea it may free things up and restore some lost oomph.

29spcoupe 02-17-2016 06:21 PM

I used MMM in my 41 Packard. It seemed to help get rid of vapor lock. The fuel line ran pretty close to that long exhaust manifold.

mshmodela 02-17-2016 06:29 PM

If one thinks about it there is no true hard science on 85+ year old engines... They were not designed to last this long... Who can really say what does not work? MMO by the number of mostly positive comments here means the odds are likely it can help some Model A's.

CarlG 02-17-2016 06:34 PM

I bought a quart of MMO several years ago. Does that count?

Bob Bidonde 02-18-2016 08:35 AM

Unbelievable that MMM is a power adder without a dyno test.

I have not seen any test evidence that indicates MMM has value as a gasoline or engine oil additive. Can anyone link us to a test data?

Jon W 02-18-2016 11:01 AM

The data is kept in a safe along with the 250 MPG carb we all have heard about.

Gary WA 02-18-2016 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing on the label about HP so your answer is No Increase in Hp. Lubrication yes Good for Valves.

Y-Blockhead 02-18-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1243634)
Unbelievable that MMM is a power adder without a dyno test.

I have not seen any test evidence that indicates MMM has value as a gasoline or engine oil additive. Can anyone link us to a test data?

Now Bob. IF there was any proof it would no longer be a "Mystery".:rolleyes::rolleyes:

holdover 02-18-2016 11:26 AM

back in the 60's we used it to quiet noisy hyd valve lifters, to good effect, then looking and feeling it, it seemed similar to ATF which did about the same thing for less money. I'm sure that it has more additives in it that help things. If it helps the rings from getting gummed up it would add some compression and power, but without dyno results there is no proof.

Gary WA 02-18-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWest (Post 1243349)
I have heard many stories about adding Marvel Mystery Oil to you oil and gas can increase the performance of an engine. Increase HP?
Has anyone experienced this effect?

Just like ALL forum sites;Google it and you will have all the answers you need and then some and then you will really be confused.I use it and it "Does help Lubrication due only to the dry ethonal gas"!

burner31 02-18-2016 11:39 AM

For those that run MMO.
What's the mixture ratio that you use?
I run only pure gas, and have a full tank right now.

Tiny 02-18-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1243736)
For those that run MMO.
What's the mixture ratio that you use?
I run only pure gas, and have a full tank right now.

I run about 3-4 oz in each fresh tank. More of a glug glug eyeball measuring method not officially measuring it

Bob-A 02-18-2016 11:46 AM

I buy MMO by the gallon at Wally World. I don't use any formula when mixing it with the gas, just pour in what looks to be a good amount. Each time I add non-ethanol gas to the "A".:)

Bob-A:D

CarlG 02-18-2016 12:04 PM

Reminds me of the Geritol and Carters pills ads from the '50s

Mikeinnj 02-18-2016 12:46 PM

Pure Snake Oil !!!

Gullible buyers think it will preserve their engine forever, cure any ailments, etc.

Waste of money for sure.

A well built and tuned engine is not going to evolve from this "mystery in a bottle".

Russ/40 02-18-2016 01:34 PM

Reduces pre-ignition problems if that state exists. Lowers volatility of fuel. Preserves fuel freshness, especially in alcohol fuels. Helps retard rust from stagnant alcohol laced fuels. Decreases sludge buildup in vehicles that never see adequate burn off temperatures.

Big hammer 02-18-2016 02:09 PM

For a ill running engine not a sick engine, using 4oz/ 10 gal gas will help smooth things
This would be the only increase in HP, from running sick to running smooth IMHO