The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Acceptable rear axle wear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149341)

1930.68B 09-11-2014 07:41 PM

Acceptable rear axle wear

What amount wear is acceptable were the axle passes through the differential gear case? I have axles that measure 1.492 to 1.497. Also what amount wear is acceptable were the inner axle seal rides on the axle? I have one that has a groove worn into the axle about .05 to .06 deep.

Ron/IA 09-12-2014 09:12 AM

Re: Acceptable rear axle wear

DITTOU2 - I am not an expert, but have seen groves worn in axles, and they have caused problems leaking for me. Five to six thousandths deep is noticeable where the seal will ride.

As to the wear where the axle passes through the differential gear case; I don't understand. In the gear case the axle is held by a bearing. Are you referring to the play between the axle and said bearing?

Jim Brierley 09-12-2014 10:06 AM

the seal can be moved slightly outboard to give a new area to wear on

redmodelt 09-12-2014 10:30 AM

How would you move the axle seal in the tube outboard? When they are installed it's bottomed out as far as they will go. Because of the cup shape, they can only be installed one way. You might be able to install inboard a tiny bit if you used a spacer and glue to hold them in place. The area where the seal seats is not that deep, maybe just the thickness of the seal and not much more in the axles housings that I have worked with. An alternative might be to just take a lite under cut just where the seal rides to give it a new surface.

Rocketsled 09-12-2014 03:15 PM

You could install a 'Speedi Sleeve' on the axle to provide a new surface for the oil seal.
Put some threadlocker or retaining compound on the axle first, to prevent any leak
path under the 'sleeve'.

1930.68B 09-12-2014 05:05 PM

Ron/IA
The differential gear case is supported by the bearings that fit on the case and mate into the axle housing races. The gear end of the axle is supported by the spider gears. I don't have an inside mic but the opening in the differential gear case where the axle passes through case appears to be a 1.5 I.D. The machined surface of the axle going through the case is the location where I'm measuring 1.492 to 1.497. I haven't found anything to tell me the original diameter.

I'm not familiar with a "Speedi Sleeve". Do have the name of a supplier or location they can be purchased?

tbirdtbird 09-12-2014 08:45 PM

let us know how you make out

redmodelt 09-13-2014 01:30 PM

The spider gears don't support the axles the carrier does. The function of the spider gears is to allow one axle to turn faster or slower going around a corner. In a stright line the carrier and axles turn as a unit. Depending on the wear of all related parts there will be some float related to the spider gears as they are not held in place and float on the spider. While I don't recall seeing the info you are looking for, I would not worry about .003 to .008.

KR500 09-14-2014 12:39 AM

I priced some stainless speedi- sleeves from SKF who owns the distribution of the sleeves. They were outrageous in price. Some where in the neighborhood of $26.00 each

Tom Endy 09-14-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 944900)
Speedi sleeves: (there are other makes, also). Once you determine which size you need you get them thru your FLAPS

http://www.skf.com/group/products/se...eve/index.html

What you call the "differential gear case" is generally termed the "carrier"

The axle is supposed to be able to spin inside the carrier else the two would bind and scrape when going around a corner

The absolute best resource for anything to do with a Model A rear end is Tom Endy who posts here often and has been generous enough to have a link to his step-by-step rebuild procedure, which I might add should be followed to the letter, unless you like removing and replacing the rear end

http://www.ocmafc.org/techarticles/T...0Re-Edited.pdf

The differential rebuild article referenced here was written in 2008 and has since been revised in 2014 with more and larger photos and additional instructive information. The 2014 revision runs out to about 65 pages.

The revision can be found on the web site of the Santa Anita A's of Arcadia, CA. Go to santaanitaas.org. On the home page put your cursor over "Technical Reference", my name will appear below, click on it. A menu of 82 articles will open. Scroll down to the one titled differential revision 2014 and click. It is a pdf file, you are welcome to download it and print it out.

Tom Endy

Rocketsled 09-14-2014 07:48 AM

SPEEDI SLEEVES provide the ideal surface for a seal lip to ride on. Ask your industrial distributor for a better price, or try TCM, which sells a Chinese version.
SKF Sealing Solutions was formerly C/R Seals.

tbirdtbird 09-14-2014 09:16 AM

still way cheaper than a new axle.....

Kevin in NJ 09-14-2014 09:35 AM

Things to think about.

The diff carrier wear areas are the faces where the axle bevel gear back face touches, the spyder gear to diff carrier face, and the gear faces.
Wear in these areas contributes to axle end play.

The spyder gears had broached gear faces. They would have lines going along the face if they are not really worn. If they are pretty shiney then they are worn. Also look at the back side and where they go into the carrier. If you have more then one carrier laying about you can see just how worn these areas can get. You also need to look at the carrier faces where the axle back side will be pressing. These can be worn or pitted.

Quite frankly some wear in these areas is not going to ruin your day. But I am sure there is too much wear in a lot of these parts in some rebuilds and the documentation does not seem to address what to look for as to what constitutes too worn. I do not know how to quantify too worn, but I had enough parts in various condition to see that some parts probably should not be used. When you put a NOS side carrier mated to a worn opposite side carrier you can physically see how far worn in the spyder gear mating area is and why some may be worn too much. I just have no idea how to quantify it to share properly.

While I do not know how much this extra wear can affect axle function, experience has shown poor performance of the A is frequently contributed to the collective marginal wear of all the parts.

Just a thought. For the outer axle seal area on the axle. Before you measure first you have to bring the area to a smooth round surface. Shoe shine with emory. Then measure. You also have to consider the type of seal being used. A leather seal is likely to perform better with a marginal sealing surface then a modern seal.

Least we forget. Check the wheel bearing surface for wear on the bottom and in the hub.

tbirdtbird 09-14-2014 08:06 PM

Tom Endy, as always thanks for the superlative update!
dave