The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Swap meet ad responses (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255505)

37 Coupe 12-01-2018 09:34 AM

Swap meet ad responses

I will never understand why some place parts for sale and no contact info other than a private message and then never respond back.

J Franklin 12-01-2018 11:37 AM

Re: Swap meet ad responses

Rudeness or ignorance are the only 2 answers that come to mind.

Purdy Swoft 12-01-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Coupe (Post 1701242)
I will never understand why some place parts for sale and no contact info other than a private message and then never respond back.

I would prefer a PM . I don't like to advertise my contact info or business on the internet . A PM is private .

Purdy Swoft 12-01-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1701286)
Rudeness or ignorance are the only 2 answers that come to mind.

Ryan has made this forum better than ever . On the other hand , I have seen more rudeness and ignorance on model A sites than anywhere else .

J Franklin 12-01-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1701306)
Ryan has made this forum better than ever . On the other hand , I have seen more rudeness and ignorance on model A sites than anywhere else .

The world is getting more rude every day, but i haven't seen much on this site. I was mostly referring to not responding after being contacted by a PM.

Jeff/Illinois 12-01-2018 04:11 PM

The USA is getting more rude and nasty at a fast pace. Last 15 years or so I've really noticed a change. Internet sites can be brutal.

Not sure 'why' I'd guess lack of respect we are showing each other today.

I would feel better with a PM also, it's not very good to advertise your personal info much today.

redmodelt 12-01-2018 05:25 PM

That goes to buyers as well. No feedback after they get something. PM is the only way to go. Spam and fake emails sent for something listed has been going on for a while. No way do I post my personal contact info in an ad. Being cordial is the only way to go. If someone offers a low ball price, I just reply with a simple no I pass. Of course some people take a low offer as an insult, get over it and move on is how I handle it. I see it as rude when people come on any site and whine that they couldn't get their price so scrapped it for less money. :)

Purdy Swoft 12-01-2018 07:10 PM

I agree !!!

34pickup 12-01-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Coupe (Post 1701242)

Or those that tell you they want the part but never follow up with correspondence. Just rude.

Ted Duke 12-01-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1701306)

Oh Purdy,
I can't agree. I quit the Chevrolet CORVAIR sites because of the rude, unhelpful, unhappy people.

Some grouches here, but I ignore them.

Thank YOU for your excellent posts.

Purdy Swoft 12-01-2018 09:37 PM

Thanks Ted for the kind words .

Oldbluoval 12-01-2018 09:51 PM

"Or those that tell you they want the part but never follow up with correspondence. Just rude."

Yep that commonly happens with me too when selling or responding to a want ad.
Sometimes on wanteds i just let it go because often I get nothing back after telling them that I have what they seek!!

Chuck Sea/Tac 12-02-2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 1701488)
"Or those that tell you they want the part but never follow up with correspondence. Just rude."

Yep that commonly happens with me too when selling or responding to a want ad.
Sometimes on wanteds i just let it go because often I get nothing back after telling them that I have what they seek!!

Maybe they’re just old and forgetful?

Oldbluoval 12-02-2018 04:53 AM

That's about the only valid excuse that can be conjured up I suppose.
We "A Model Folk" are getting long in the tooth!!

Synchro909 12-02-2018 06:09 AM

I think the poor ethical behavior of people on the web is because they feel anonymous. No consequences so their deep seated values (or lack thereof) come out.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-02-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1701550)
I think the poor ethical behavior of people on the web is because they feel anonymous. No consequences so their deep seated values (or lack thereof) come out.

Very true. Ironically, I can remember a day when Model-A parts were purchased thru correspondence via a card or letter in the mail, --and when someone said they would purchase it, the item was sent to the buyer BEFORE payment was received.

jhowes 12-02-2018 09:38 AM

\i have experienced what brent said. I recently sold a part ($600 part) and i had the part and the money for a week before it was picked up by the shipper. Some are honest and trustworthy. Thanks for that. Jack

1928Mik 12-02-2018 10:52 AM

I have noticed increased amounts of rude people as I get older. I am still operating a retail/wholesale business and there is a complete change of attitude if we don't carry what they 'thought' we should, and 99% of the time those items are discontinued. But then they give us a bad review 'cause we didn't have it! Also suppliers are bad too, never getting back with any response after an inquiry. Haven't noticed too much on this site since I'm a newer member tho. I just try to be honest, straightforward, and take the high road.

37 Coupe 12-02-2018 04:38 PM

I bought a Model A part right before Thanksgiving and the guy wanted a postal money order so I went and got it and told him it was in the mail and he said so was the parts and gave me the tracking numbers. He contacted me with information I put in my want ad but I don't think it was the Fordbarn Forum swap it may have been the Model A vintage site.

30 Mike 12-02-2018 07:39 PM

I've noticed this also, i believe the problem started with exactly what we are doing now!??? Damn computers! when all or most deals were made with a hand shake or by letter (so you probably could find them) Most times we left with a smile or at least satisfied. sitting behind a computer screen gives some people a lot of guts or ignorance.